Trip Report 4/23 - 4/25

GrandsonofBeast

Me: I haven't been to Kings Island in 11 years, and even then I didn't ride many of the rides, and many of the new rides today weren't there then, so the whole experience this past weekend was completely brand new.

Weather: The weather forecast was rain all week but we lucked out, big time, the weather stayed adequate and when it did start to rain later Saturday we were so whipped from Friday and Saturday we were ready to go anyways. Same thing Sunday, when it started to rain, we were spent and ready to go home. All and all the forecast kept the crowds to a minimum, what a blessing!

You guys know enough about Kings Island, so I will just throw in my two cents about all the good and bad in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth...nothing...

Good:

Diamondback: The more I rode Diamondback, the more I liked it. The airtime is so impressive, and "the back is where it's at". The great negative G airtime over the hills and crushing weight of the positive Gs in the valleys make Diamondback a great experience. Two thumbs way up! I would even go so far as to say that I would prefer Diamondback over Maverick (but shhh, don't tell the guys!)

Crypt: I loved Crypt, so did my wife. It helped a lot that we had no idea what it was. I thought it was a dark roller coaster, and we didn't get a chance to see the ride in action before we get on because it was a walk on. So when we got on we were thinking "what the..." and it was a lot of fun. I heard people complaining about it afterwards, and how lame it was, but we loved it.

Drop Tower: I would trade Power Tower for Drop Tower in a heart beat. So much higher, so much slower on the way up, I got off and my knees were shaking. What a thrill.

Invertigo: While Invertigo wasn't a favorite for me, I would prefer it over its closest comparison at Cedar Point, Wicked Twister.

Backlot: What a fun little coaster.

Adventure Express: Another fun little coaster.

Boo Blasters: People ask what kind of coaster can a kid and grandparent ride that a 15 year old brother would also enjoy. To me, Boo Blasters is hard not to like, at least a little. Who doesn't like shooting and trying to get a high score? Well done! Oh, 1650 was my tops.

Entrance: Wow, just wow. Walking in and seeing what I would describe as the mega pool fountain and the Eiffel Tower is so beautiful. Simply awesome.

Too Much TV: Great play, I'm not terribly familiar with all of the older shows but there were some darn good singers. It was funny because on Saturday my wife and I were debating going and watching a movie at the theatre across the street, when the announcement was made for Too Much TV in 20 minutes.

$9.99 souvenir cup: For one day this deal may suck, but for a 3 day trip it was great. After confirming with security we could bring the cup back on Saturday and Sunday we took full advantage. We re-filled the cup a total of 8 times for the 3 days, for a total cost of $26. Effectively $13 each, all you can drink, 3 days? Great deal.

Bad:

Firehawk: I was so pumped about this ride, and it was just "meh".

Beast: As much as I hate to bash Beast it was just too rough. The first time we rode it, we rode it in the front and it was great. That evening we rode it in the middle and it was bone rattling. We tried to give it another chance on Saturday, figuring that towards the front would be much less rough. We rode it in row 3 and got roughed up again. wacko.gif

Flight of Fear: Meh

Chilli Dog: Looked forward to this and it came out like 3" long and loaded with too much cheese. blink.gif

Ride totals for all three days:

Diamondback: 10

Crypt: 4

Beast: 3

Drop Tower: 2

Invertigo: 2

Flight Deck: 2

Backlot: 2

Firehawk: 1

Flight of Fear: 1

Boo Blaster: 3

Delirium: 2

Adventure Express: 1

cool.gif

first off, i'm so glad you finally were able to make it back to Kings Island. :)

Invertigo: While Invertigo wasn't a favorite for me, I would prefer it over its closest comparison at Cedar Point, Wicked Twister.

as for this, i can't believe that these words can even be uttered in this combination, wicked twister is so much better, imo, than Invertigo (but hey, this is the guy that, if legal, would marry Son of Beast ;)).

Glad you had a great time. As to The Beast, I love the ride in 1-2 but got really jolted around in 1-3. On 3 row PTC trains you will almost always get a smoother ride in the middle bench. Your not over the wheels there.

I completely agree about Firehawk. Flight of Fear is still pretty fun, but would be sooo much better with out the stop on the mid-course.

I remember the first time I ordered a Skyline chilli dog I thought the same thing as you did. I love them but can't afford to get them inside the park. When I do get them I always order 3 of them. Can you ever have too much cheese?

Nice to hear you had a good time. I have one question though. Reading that you rode Adventure Express, Flight of Fear, and Firehawk, I am wondering why you didn't get a lap on The Racer? It's a great coaster, and it seems like you were all around it. It didn't catch your eye? Or did it not look good to you?

^ I believe Racer was only running one side the whole time, all three days. I may be mistaken, but it appeared that way everytime we went by. I only like Gemini at CP because of the race between the blue and red trains, I was just sort of figuring if there was no race going on at racer, what's the point?

It is worth noting two things again...

- The park was sooo empty. When we got in on Friday Diamondback was beyond a walk on. I ran into a couple of KI fanatics in line for the front row taking a picture on their cell phone of, literally, completely empty queues. It was just these two guys and me and my wife waiting for the front two rows as the car with maybe 6 people on it pulled back into the station. I feel like, in all seriousness, we could have ridden Diamondback over 100 times this weekend if we really wanted to.

- I was so impressed with Diamondback. In that same brief conversation with those same two fanatics, they told me that Diamondback "doesn't compete, at all" with Millennium, Dragster, and Maverick, so "don't get your hopes up". I think this sort of stuck with me subconsciously during the trip. My wife and I would say things like "Yeah, it doesn't compete" or "as much as I want to say it's in the same category, it's not". But then I broke it down, Diamondback's hill is better then Maverick's hill, the airtime is much more enjoyable than the whippy, wild ride that Maverick is, and although the tunnel is a better special effect than the splashdown, that doesn't make up for the big stuff...Diamondback isn't only in the same category, it's better than Maverick. I told my wife, "You know what? I would take Diamondback over Maverick" and she said "That's so funny, I was actually thinking the same thing just now."

I'm interested to get back on Millennium now and compare.

Glad you had a great time. As to The Beast, I love the ride in 1-2 but got really jolted around in 1-3. On 3 row PTC trains you will almost always get a smoother ride in the middle bench. Your not over the wheels there.

I saw you at The Beast shortly after 10 Sunday morning. I didn't even make the connection that it was you until I saw the Intimidator 305 shirt. I'm a pretty slow thinker on Sunday mornings!

Nice TR. There were a number of enthusiasts there on both Friday and Sunday so you know it was a pretty good weekend crowd-wise at the park. I also agree with the DB>Maverick sentiment, but just barely. I think the difference is that you can reride DB all day long where with Maverick you need to take a break after two or three rides.

Speaking of DB, how about those trim-free fourth hill rides this weekend! I've been dreaming of getting just one of those rides since DB opened and this weekend I got 6! Man, is that air fantastic over that hill with no trim! I just hope that wasn't just a one weekend occurrence.

^ No trim on the 5th hill was amazing. I love that hill w/o it! As much as I love DB the back half was lil' boring and it all started with that trim. Without it that hill is so amazing that it set me up for a much better run after the MCBR.

I saw you at The Beast shortly after 10 Sunday morning. I didn't even make the connection that it was you until I saw the Intimidator 305 shirt. I'm a pretty slow thinker on Sunday mornings!

Nice TR. There were a number of enthusiasts there on both Friday and Sunday so you know it was a pretty good weekend crowd-wise at the park. I also agree with the DB>Maverick sentiment, but just barely. I think the difference is that you can reride DB all day long where with Maverick you need to take a break after two or three rides.

Speaking of DB, how about those trim-free fourth hill rides this weekend! I've been dreaming of getting just one of those rides since DB opened and this weekend I got 6! Man, is that air fantastic over that hill with no trim! I just hope that wasn't just a one weekend occurrence.

I thought about this exact same point. I actually asked it to myself this way, if I had to ride one coaster all day, which would I pick? Diamondback, easy, you'd need a few bottles of Advil over the next 2 or 3 days if you rode Maverick that much. Then I asked the more appropriate, 'what if I could only ride the coaster once, which would I pick?' Still, Diamondback.

I dunno, maybe the trip out to CP in 19 days will clear some things up. Maybe I'll get off Maverick singing praises and calling myself crazy for doubting Maverick. It'll be a fun debate/question to answer. As it stands now I would give the nod to Diamondback over Maverick.