Questions about FearFest

Screwball

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site.

I am a Season Passholder at Paramount Canada's Wonderland in Ontario. I came down to PKI in the middle of June (on a Saturday) for the first time and there was insanely long lineups. My girlfriend and I waited in line for 2 hours for Son of Beast (twice), plus an hour and a half for Flight of Fear, and about an hour for The Beast.

We are planning on coming down the last weekend, November 1st and 2nd. What I am looking to know is how busy the park is during FearFest. Does it compare to a Saturday in the summer?

How good the FearFest attractions are, and the wait times usually?

Also from what I have read is that most of the major coasters are in operation. Can anyone just confirm what rides are operating?

I am looking to become a regular on PKIunlimited, I have lurked for awhile but it's time to get involved more.

If anyone has any questions about Wonderland, I would be more then happy to answer them.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Well, last week the park was deserted on Sunday for FF. However, you are looking to show up on the last weekend of operation. That is traditionally the busiest post-season weekend to show up, and with FF being free with admission, all bets on attendance are off. Rides scheduled to be open include The Beast, SoB, Tomb Raider, Delirium, Drop Zone, Flying Eagles, Dodgems, Flight of Fear, Vortex, Forwards Racer, Adventure Express, Face/Off and Vortex. There is also a chance that other rides could be open. AS for a review of the attractions, I can't critique them as I have not experienced them but there are plenty of TRs on the site that could probably tell you what to expect.

question about Wonderland!

1. how big is tha park?

2. is top gun an SLC or a B&M?

Sorry about the delay.

Well for the question to how big Wonderland is, it is situated on 330 acres of land. The park itself has about 60 Rides, which includes 12 coasters.

Top Gun is a Vekoma SLC; maximum height is only 102 feet. There are five inversions in the ride, which lasts 2:40. While Top Gun is a thrilling ride, it just doesn't leaving you wanting more after riding it. The main problem I see is that it was built in an area much smaller then it should of been. The track is too compact, so you are being thrust all over without really seeing what is coming up. Not to mention your head gets pounded off the shoulder restraints during the entire ride. Don't get me wrong, it's fun but if you are expecting a top caliber coaster you will leave disappointed.

Personally when I go to Wonderland, I don't wait in line for Top Gun. I would much rather get on one of the great wooden coasters, Minebuster and Wild Beast. If you sit in the front row of either, you are in for a GREAT ride. Tons of airtime, and the lines are usually small.

What sets PCW apart from other parks in my mind is the flat rides they have. For the past four years they have added a new flat attraction. This past year they installed a Huss JUMP2, which is called SledgeHammer. The ride makes you lose your stomach on each drop, very fun. We have Psyclone, which is similar to PKI's Delirium except it is made by Mondial. Another is Cliffhanger, which is a Huss Top Spin, the same type of ride as Tomb Raider at PKI, except it's outside and involves a fountain, which soaks the riders. The last, is Shockwave a Mondial TopScan, it provides insane amounts of G's tossing you all around. This is a ride you have to experience if you are a huge thrill seeker.

Edited by Screwball

Well, it's better to come on the last weekend than this weekend. This weekend is supposed to be the busiest of the season. As for the attrctions, they're great! I haven't had a chance to do many of them but the ones I have done are great, there are 4 that open @ 3PM and 3 that open at dark. Curse of the Crypt, Maze of Madness, House of Darkness and Elvira's Superstition open @ 3 while Route 666, Psycho Path and Circus of Horrors 3D open @ dark. I would recomend getting in line for the 3PM ones just before 3 and doing Curse of the Crypt first, as it is supposed to be the best(of the 3:00) and you don't want to miss it! Psycho Path is supposed to be their scariest yet, they take you back into the woods befind Kings Island onto a haunted trail. Also, from now on they turn all the lights off at night on The Beast except for the ones on the hills.

Really, this weekend is supposed to be the busiest of the year? I know there is a Third Eye Blind concert on Saturday, but I wouldn`t expect this weekend to be that busy. i would have figured the last weekend would be the busiest in the post season since the park gave away a free ticket to anyone who bought a 2004 pass to be used on the final weekend.

Saturdays are generally bad all around. Sundays, though, are pretty dead. Last year, at least, the attendance for the last weekend were very low due to the cold weather. Just because someone gets a free ticket to go to PKI doesnt mean that they will use it. It just means that if they dont use it, then they didnt waste any money on it.

So, my advice is to get to PKI about 5ish on sat, force yourself to wait in the long lines for some of the FearFest attractions (I would hit Circus of Horrors and Route 666 on sat, those normally have long lines) and leave around midnight when the park closes. Get to PKI right at rides opening (10) and stay until it closes. FearFest attractions (indoors) open at 3 and the others (outdoor) open at 8, and run until 10. Thats why I said hit the big ones on saturday. More time to wait in line.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks sob tom!

My girlfriend and I are leaving early Friday morning from Ontario and driving straight through to Mason. We have a room booked at the Super 8 in Mason. We plan on heading to the park for opening on Saturday, hitting up the bigger rides early in the morning, SOB, FoF, Beast, and DZ. Hopefully get those done and able to grab some lunch then like you mentioned try and do the FF attractions with the longer waits. We'll come early again on Sunday, go on the rides again. Then try and finish off the rest of the FF attractions. Then the best is saved for last, Beast final ride. I can't wait for that, it's going to be good.

Since I have never been there for a last ride, how many people end up showing up? Should we get to The Beast well ahead of 10 o clock to beat the line?

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend everyone; I know we will!

Granted people are getting free tickets, I agree with SOB_TOM in saying that they don't necessarily have to use them. I don't think the FF attractions will be bad for this weekend. Since Halloween will be over with, people will be out of the spirit of things. Anway, I'll be there all day Sunday, hope to see you guys!

For the final ride of the on The Beast, you must be outside of the entrance, by the benches by the sign by ten o`clock. Jeffrey Siebert will come and talk to everyone gathered while waiting for the line of gp to finish riding. During this time, Jeff will be teasing us with facts and hints of what`s in store for next season and down the road. Theoretically, you could arrive a little after ten and you should still be able to see a group of enthusiasts standing around. Last year, I`d say there were about maybe 85 people there. I seem to remember that it took three trains to fit all the enthusiasts on. Unfortunately, based on the weather forecasts, it looks like this weekend is shaping up to be a particulary busy one. Highs around 75 on Saturday and Sunday. Where is the typical cold, rainy, and snowy Cincinnati weather?

I still think that the lines for FearFest stuff will be long, at least on Saturday even though it is after Halloween.

It is a double edged sword in a way with the weather shaping up nice. On one hand you get to enjoy the last weekend of the year at PKI being comfortable, but of course then the lines will be much longer.

I am willing to wait the extra time in line, as one of the things I was really worried about was having the temperatures near freezing and not being able to have fun on the rides due to the cold.

For the last few weeks we have had cold temperatures up here, in the 50's. So it will be a nice change to come down and take the winter coats off.

Can't wait!

I remember in past Octobers having to wear winter coats, hats gloves and sweaters to attempt to stay warm. This year there haven`t been any days like that, which is good for the park, but not so good if you want short lines. I remember a couple years ago when it was about 45 and there was a light mist/drizzle falling. Lets just say that going 78 miles an hour on that day killed ones face!