This Little Train of Ours

Hello everyone again. Writing this report was as big of a surprise to me as the opportunity to be part of and the presentation of a recent behind the scenes tour of the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad on Saturday May 1st, 2010.

As alluded to earlier Kings Island invited KICentral members to a very rare opportunity to go behind the scenes and share in the workings, stories and pride that is truly not only one of Kings Islands biggest treasures but also one of its best very successful secrets, until now. For years there has been interest to see what is happening in the sheds that we all pass by every time we take a ride through the woods on the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad. Then unexpectedly a notice was put out several days before Saturday to invite those who may have interest in behind the scenes tours to come and participate in the rarest of behind the scenes tours. In 37 years as a park guest I have never been given this opportunity and I would not miss it for anything. Please allow me to digress and give my opinion of why I think it is so rare. I think it is because of the logistics and risk of injury that makes it a huge challenge and the fact that a Train Tour would need to be done in such a way as not to disrupt other park patrons wishing to take a ride on one of Kings Island treasured trains.

Several KICentral members and I were greeted on International Street and walked back to the Losantiville Station by Kings Islands Public Relations Manager, Don Helbig. During the walk back the rain turned from a light sprinkle to a steady but light drizzle, which is the reason I suspect many fellow members did not attend. The beauty of the Train Tour is once you get to the station you will be under cover for much of the tour plus it helps set the stage for a spectacular arrival of the train. In today's case the damp weather helped showcase the steam from the engines better. At this point we were greeted by many more friendly staff and management from Kings Island and it was apparent to me that Kings Island had put much more thought and preparation into this tour than many other tours I have had the privilege to be part of. The Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad Tour seemed to have officially started as a Union Officer greeted us to set the tone and to give us some very interesting facts about the Kings Island trains modeled after the General. It was also hinted to us a couple times that we may want to have our cameras ready for the grand arrival of the Kenny Van Meter steam engine, which was named after its first engineer and final option designer of the engine (this was learned during the tour).As the engine pulled around the bend in view of us we were all mesmerized by its beauty and as every chime pull of the bell and light steam whistle chills rose across my arms and back. The Kenny Van Meter steam engine approached as if it was floating on a cloud and looked as good as when my eyes first awed its beauty back in 1972. If ever a steam engine could show personality it did on this day as it seemed to pull up strong, mighty and powerful while at the same time showing grandeur grace as if it was parading in front of dignitaries.

<object width='640' height='360'>

<param name='movie' value='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' />

<param name='flashvars' value='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=66da8dbe6620428b7d1d434d58fa4b0c%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=98780289%26w=640%26h=360' />

<param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' />

<param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' />

<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='360' allowfullscreen='true' bgcolor='#000000' src='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' flashvars='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=66da8dbe6620428b7d1d434d58fa4b0c%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=98780289%26w=640%26h=360'></embed>

</object>

The whole scenario from the actual Steam Engine to every member of the cast who had a hand in this tour seemed to be in that same mode of "we have been waiting for this day to show our pride", I tell you that display was very heartwarming to experience.

When Kenny Van Meter steam engine safely stopped at the Losantiville Station we were invited to board the passenger cars towards the front. When we departed a fully dressed Union Officer shared some very interesting facts and history of the style of train we were riding on at that moment.

0_0_a80b0a99ae7464894650a4ea2ccac0f0_1.jpg

As we were riding on the back half of the train line the train seemed to be slowing down and as we passed by the trains work sheds we were told that is where the maintenance is preformed and then asked "hey would you all like to go inside and look" as the train came to a complete stop well past the work sheds. Of course we all expressed excitedly but in different ways that we would, so no sooner as it seemed to be unanimous decision to do so the track had been switched and we started to go in motion again but backwards (which is something I have not experienced on Kings Islands trains). We went in reverse all the way into the maintenance shed and going in was like a curtain being pulled up on a live show, wow we are inside and getting a up close look while the other engine was inside to be serviced.

0_0_b7f6bca713df810ce748e972be78b54d_1.jpg

Once inside Steve (one of the engineers) came in stood between us and the other steam engine called Lew Brown, to talk to us while we sat comfortably in our seats without being crowded together as a group standing.

0_0_6a2391e90762437f584ade3d2fd8efd2_1.jpg

I as probably most in attendance learned more interesting facts in that hour about Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad than I have in the 37 years of ridership. The crew who work on the railroad are very proud of their work and take pride in the fact they work on such beautiful steam engines and as Steve put it, it is more like a privilege to work with them. I honestly think they would work just as hard if they carried just one passenger or the millions they have carried. You see oh matter what the task the park has for the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad as prop for a show or to carry large numbers of guests to another part of the park the task of the engines and crew is to do it in a very safe manner and to also do it with showmanship pride which they have so distinctly done behind the scenes. After a few questions it was time to depart to our originating destination.

<param name='movie' value='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' />

<param name='flashvars' value='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=3f85ad10539c73ff5a9e055ff0aacb7f%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=98780300%26w=640%26h=360' />

<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='360' allowfullscreen='true' bgcolor='#000000' src='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' flashvars='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=3f85ad10539c73ff5a9e055ff0aacb7f%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=98780300%26w=640%26h=360'></embed>

</object>

Once we returned to Losantiville Station we were asked to take a group photo

0_0_77c4ca7c7b8014a460e7e743aab0e817_1.jpg

Several engineers and crew members were available for more individualized questions and reminiscing.

0_0_34e06d29feb3bc170f7a68e03d65d3d7_1.jpg

We were also offered to take more close up pictures of the steam engine.

0_0_5763ba252dfb622516eb2430b2cdfd44_1.jpg

After the tour and we left the station area many of the Kings Island staff waited out front and were eager to hear what we had to say about the tour and also chatted with us about how the logistics of the tour were overcome to make this days behind the scenes tour a reality. Their involvement as planners, workers and participants of the train tour singled to me that maybe the reality of a future train tour may not be so long as the last wait.

I would like to share my thoughts with the Kings Island staff and management about my experience and hopes of the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad behind the scenes tour since they are so interested in our thoughts.

I have been coming to Kings Island as a 8 year old child clear back to 1972 and have seen many changes over the years which is inevitable but a few true iconic guest pleasing attractions or features have stood the test of time such as the the Royal Fountains and Eifel Tower which I like to refer to as true shinning gems of Kings Island. Another great shinning gem of Kings Island is Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad. I have over the past several years started to attend more specialized coaster club/forum type gatherings and participated in many behind the scenes tours, none of which have even come close to being as informative, interesting and as awe inspiring as the most recent behind the scenes tour of Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad on Saturday May 1st, 2010. I learned more about the trains and crew in that hour long tour than I collectively learned over 37 years of Kings Island visits. I will never be able to view the steam engines the same way I have in the past or hear the trains whistle/bell toll the same way, in fact I will be trying to distinguish the two engines by their whistles from a distance. This tour enriched my appreciation of the Steam Engines, engineers and crews and after listing to their pride shine through as they shared their love of job working on the railroad I believe they are a hidden gem all by themselves. If the same tour was offered tomorrow I would sign up to be in attendance as I would like to see and learn about all the things I missed the first time around. I like to thank you for sharing such a great opportunities with me over the years and even a bigger thank you for sharing one of my best experiences at Kings Island I have had yet and that was the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad Tour. I must admit it saddens me to think such a shining gem of a tour is not as available to other park guests more often or that the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad Tour will not be more available to others who have not had the good fortune to attend last Saturday. I do take solace in knowing that Kings Island does go to great lengths to entertain even its most interested fans and know from past years that more great adventures await us. I will finish my thoughts by saying this; I hope that after Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad Tour on Saturday May 1st, 2010 and you get feedback from myself and others that you may consider offering this tour in the future and sending a loud statement to the Kings Island fans everywhere with this message;

This Little Train of Ours

We are going to

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

0_0_f1a93bd32287020c4cb70f9025af88d8_1.jpg

Thank you Jesse Marchbanks.

I, like Coasters, skipped out because of the weather. I was at the park yesterday too, I arrived around 9:40 though so I was a little late for the tour. IF the weather had been permitting and the drive had not been so hazardous I may have made it in time. But, I looked at the forecast and thought, we are going to be going 55 down the interstate the whole time, I am not going to sign up. Now I am kicking myself for it. Great trip report Avatar, our TR's never cease to amaze me. Thank you KICentral as well for making this moment possible.

As usual, another great TR from you, Jesse. Had a blast hanging out with you, Kelli, Brian and Ryan. Too bad the weather scared people away. The rain stopped in the morning soon after the train tour and the weather was just perfect the rest of the day.

PS loved Tyler's cool Union uniform.

Thanks everyone for you comments. I knew attendance was going to be down a bit as so much was going on elsewhere but I kept thinking about how great this tour was and know we all would be talking about this one for years to come so I hope this tour is a repeat. As always it was good to see many of you Saturday and the rest of you were missed especially you Robbie, this tour had your name all over it. I am going to share more of my pictures and another video as they are somewhat of an interest but were not used in the report. I hope you enjoy theses as well.

Morning entry

0_0_5d5a1c535fe1e58b4dec2d8d84c3193d_1.jpg

Train POV

0_0_cd94f17a83a605fb655566cbb723f4ee_1.jpg

Total Class

0_0_e5103c56156a5215df4f9527dd3edaf8_1.jpg

Thank you Ryan KICentral

0_0_2efbace8bcb7e5621680c4b3b8b48092_1.jpg

Hot Seat

0_0_6761f13ef3a121e5626f0b3f1537e802_1.jpg

Being there is 1,000,000 x better

0_0_e9329e5ac11b91d78ab6e3aedcb08eb5_1.jpg

Other pictures of the day Royal Fountain evening shoot

0_0_dcb7992e07ec22c161954a9603f9aa5b_1.jpg

The ever better and better landscaping scenes

0_0_3fb03aaf237f5074ba8df9ca0ad2e678_1.jpg

Video: Part of Steve's Train Tour presentation.

<param name='flashvars' value='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=6c393d8838c7538253ea692913a5c430%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=98780298%26w=640%26h=360' />

<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='360' allowfullscreen='true' bgcolor='#000000' src='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' flashvars='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=6c393d8838c7538253ea692913a5c430%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=98780298%26w=640%26h=360'></embed>

</object>

Glad those that attended had a great time - and thanks for the pics and video Jesse. I was unfortunately out of town for the weekend so couldn't attend. I have been lucky enough in the past to be able to learn a little of the history/details and get an up close look at one of the engines from an engineer that I happened to know - lot's of love and care go into the train.

Jesse,

Thanks for the excellent trip report...as usual. smile.gif

I really wanted to be there but because of the short notice it just wouldn't have worked out very well for me...and even though I wasn't there I would like to thank the park for finally doing this...and I hope that they will eventually do another one sometime in the future.

TrainedBeast I must admit seeing old friends and attractions performing at their best tends to choke me up to and I must say the engines and crew where defiantly at their best Saturday. I hope the ones responsible know they did fabulously. :rolleyes:

FF EKU dawg 4 life – yes Don, Ryan and I walked to the front of the park together and we also made a quick stop to spread the word of that day to some who may had some doubts about the Train Tour and that word was "success". :P Not sure about where you were, but I will keep a look out for you next time.

Standbyme always keep in mind as long as you can make it to Indy you always have someone who can drive the rest of the way if needed. :)

I really wish I could of gone to this event. I've always been a fan of trains, especially steam engines, and have always had a special place for Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad. Mainly for the fact that it's one of the few, true, steam trains operating in an amusement park today. Like Avatar, I've been riding this train since I was a little kid, not nearly as long though, and have loved it ever since. Also, many people like riding The Beast and now Diamondback at night at Kings Island, but I would encourage you to take a night ride on the train. It's a truly amazing and a much different ride than in the daytime.

These pictures and videos are really amazing to me. I especially like the last one of the train coming into the Losantiville station with the steam just rolling everywhere.

Very nice and very informative TR Avatar. Thanks!

EDIT: Here's two videos I took of the train ride from Losantiville to Boomerang Bay and Back. I know its shaky and not the best quality, but try to enjoy it anyways, thanks.

Thanks for your comments and POV's Dragsterfan420 I enjoyed the ride around the tracks this morning. Another thing about the KI&MVRR tour was I think it appealed to all levels of interest, from the very casual guests who don't care about how trains work to the person who takes train tours in on vacations. I learned much more on the KI&MVRR tour but purposefully left out that information so as not to give away to much information in case it is repeated sometime down the road. I would not count myself as a coaster, train, dark ride or live show fanatic but I would say I am a amusement/theme park fanatic, I love the atmosphere and the combination of everything makes for a great day for me. Everyone who has grown up visiting KI has grown up with the KI&MVRR so there is sentimental interest with everyone and like Dragsterfan420 said KI&MVRR is one of the better amusement/theme park trains still operating. I also think the rides at night are something to be enjoyed too. It will be interesting to see if anything more comes from this tour and like the rest of you I will be here in anticipation waiting for more.

Great TR Jessie. Thanks for sharing with all of us that missed it.

I know that many other parks have very popular behind the scenes tours. I would love to see KI offer this to the public a few times each year. The design of the tour with backing the train into the shed was simply brilliant.

Thanks again for the wonderful trip report. You do a great job combining the words with video and photo.

One of the best sounds of Kings Island is the train whistle in the distance.

Today's 5@5 strongly indicates that this wonderful train tour was a test of sorts for a future VIP tour offering. If so, what a great idea! If things were different, this is one I would not have missed for anything, as those who know me well know. And if it is offered as a VIP offering, count me in. I won't even ask what the fee is. Just mark me as "PAID." I will be.

That was the answer I was hoping for when I threw that softball question. I too would have loved to have been there for this as I am also a railfan. I have been to many a shop all over the country when I was a kid. I love to see how things are actually done. I am waiting for the girls to hit the minimum age requirement for the coaster tour at BGW.

Terpy glad to have you back.

Thanks, tis good to be back, though my presence for a while may be more spotty than normal. It has not been a normal time for me, to put it mildly. I missed opening day at Kings Island for the first time in many years. All I will publicly say about that is this:

Friends, family, good times...

As time goes by, you will more and more realize that your best Kings Island memories include people...oftentimes people who you no longer see often or cannot even see at all anymore...

Kings Island is a mystical magical place...a special place...it isn't just rides and lines and food and employees...it is all that and much, much more.

The next trip to Kings Island will be even rougher for me than was the first one after midsummer 2003. I will be there. Just give me space if you see me crying...it will be both tears of happiness and sadness...and understand, please, if I need to go somewhere else first. Kings Island is a very special place for me. And the last couple of weeks, which had to happen some time, all began with a planned trip to Kings Island coming to a sudden halt an hour before I otherwise would have gotten up to go.

What I wrote above is more true now that it ever was. It is amazing to me what a central place in my life Kings Island, and those who love it so much, has had in my life, and always will.

For those who have written me, expressed concern, etc., thanks.

It's going to be an eventful summer, in more ways than one.

And with that, again, thanks to all of you....

Terpy, who cares deeply about a place in Southern Ohio, an industry, his friends, and his family.

You know Terpy even though I knew you were away I still looked for you to be there. Dave great response earlier and even better question for the 5@5, to be honest I was a little surprised they hinted that already though. I knew when I saw all the who who's of KI staff at the station and participating in the tour that more was going on than meets the eye. I even told several people later that I felt like we were the test trial group. The tour was so much more thought out than other tours plus their interest in what we thought kind of clued me in that this thing was going to see another day soon. From talking with several of the KI staff Saturday and their openness about the process to make the tour happen it seemed to be a lot to go through just for a one time tour. They mentioned about the logistics of making a platform to let guest get off the train then they would need to get to the other side of it and that posed a big problem so the back it in was floated. I don't want to tell too much but many of the conversation went in that direction. I think they know by now they have a winner of a tour and it will be just a matter of time before they share this one again. Terpy count me as paid too, I have caught myself watching the train pull into the station several times today and I want to see that live in person again.one last thing about this subject of behind the scenes tours is, maybe the train tour will not be the only tour as time goes on.

P.S. Terpy you are a wonderful friend and I have not stooped thinking about you this past couple weeks and knew the best thing at times like these is space to sort thing out but knew when the time was right you would be back. this community loves you for being you. Welcome home.

Avatar, as always you put it so well. There are places you go to have great adventures...and there are places that are home...places everyone knows your name (or doesn't, but knows you fit), and that you expect certain things to just be. And when they aren't, something just isn't quite right.

For those at the park who wonder why some of us sometimes seem so critical of a place we love so very much, please know it is because we care. You have been entrusted with a very special place that means so much for so many. It's not just the FUN & Only....it's a place where families play together, couples meet, relationships start and life...goes on. Sometimes whether we want it to or not. Just as when Coney closed on US 52 in 1971, things end, other things start, and change happens.

And we deal with it. As we must.