Holiday World Opening Day 2010 TR!

gigacoaster2k

Friday afternoon after I got off work, I packed up my stuff and headed down to Tom's. The plan was to stay at his house for the night, and then head to HW in the morning. The forecast was saying 80% chance of heavy thunderstorms, and I was getting depressed watching Tom try to make other plans just in case it didn't work out.

Later that night, we got a text from Adam (pkiboy) saying the storm was moving pretty fast, and that it MAY blow over. I literally dropped to my knees and begged the heavens for the storm to pass fast enough that we could go. Holiday World is my #1 favorite park, and even with Tom questioning the weather, my plan was firm in my mind that we were going no matter what.

Saturday morning, we woke up around 5:15 - 5:30 am. We planned on heading out around 6:30 am to give a little more time for stops for gas, or traffic issues. I checked the weather radar to see that the storm was slowly but surely moving away from HW.

No sooner did I turn off his road than it started to rain. It rained the entire way from Fairfield, OH to Tell City, IN. Thankfully the snacks/food I'd packed kept me awake, along with my cherry Amp energy drink, and listening to my iPod on shuffle. As we drove closer to Holiday World, I screamed with joy as I saw a break in the clouds.. and BLUE SKY!!

We got a text from Adam telling us to meet his group at Wendy's. My gas light was on, and had been on for several miles, so we decided to skip it. We got to the park shortly after 9 am, and I decided against bringing my camera in with me (hence there being no photos in this TR). I did take a few photos, but I'd like to save the PTR for when I go to HoliWood Nights.

We got to the main gate, and Tom presented a Mountain Dew can to receive $7 off a one-day admission. I went to the season pass center and got my season pass. Completely hassle free and very quick process, and it worked the first time it scanned. I loudly made a comment about how I was glad at least one of my passes worked this year, and one of the employees laughed. I think they knew what I was getting at. XD

We speedily walked down the path to Voyage, and they had a rope up just past Kringle's Cafe. I looked behind us to see Adam, Shawn (Beast Man) and his lady, and Jared (rotag)! I saw a few others, but I was way too excited to remember who.. I'm sorry!

The rope dropped, and some people walked. I jogged right along with Tom, but as soon as I saw Voyage, I bolted for the queue.. we were WAY ahead of everyone else! Tom stopped and let me enter the queue first.. I ran to the station and as soon as I got there, I shouted "GOOD MORNING!" to the ride ops in the empty station.. they all said it back! I chose the seat second from the back (someone was already waiting for the very back seat).

I was the SECOND public rider of the year to enter the queue, and we got on the first train of the year!!

We rode FOUR MORE TIMES without having to re-enter the queue! Yes, the park was THAT empty!

After those 5 mind blowing rides, I told Tom I was ready for Legend. We rode that FOUR TIMES without having to re-enter the queue!

Tom needed a break, so I headed to Raven, where the station was once again empty. I got a reride in the very back seat! However, when I exited Raven, Tom was nowhere to be found. I called him, with no answer. I finally saw him coming around the corner with a drink.

We walked around for a bit, and headed to Liberty Launch, and then Eagles Flight. Tom ALMOST had it snapping very slightly.. the ride ops were giving him evil looks. I wouldn't suggest trying to snap their Eagles.. 1 it's impossible, and 2 you will most certainly get yelled at.

Walking past one of the gift shops, I decided to stop and get gifts for Kat and Nick. They were gracious enough to let us stay in their hotel room free of charge for Saturday night, so I decided to buy them something as a token of my appreciation and friendship. I bought Kat a purple Holiday World carabiner, and Nick a blue one. I sat with the group and gave Kat and Nick their gifts, and we made plans to meet up for funnel cakes at noon when the Funnel Cake Factory opened.

Tom and I ate, and then our group (which had now grown to 12 people), headed to the Funnel Cake Factory. Kat ended up getting the first funnel cake of the season, and Tom and I shared a funnel cake. Someone asked what Nick got, and he shared his fried Oreos with us.. it was my first time trying one. Not bad, but I like good old funnel cakes better. There was also a sparrow eyeing our funnel cakes, so we shared with the tiny bird, who was very happy about that.

After that, we headed for the bumper cars. We had a great time bashing the garbage out of each other, and all yelled "aw man!" when it was over.

Back to Voyage we went, and I rode five more times without re-entering the queue.

It was starting to rain, so Jared, Tom and I went to Gobbler Getaway, which is a dark ride kind of on the idea of Boo Blasters. I failed miserably with a score of 30. It's more family friendly than Boo Blasters is, but the targets are harder to hit. I liked it because the gun sounds like a turkey call when you press the trigger.

After that, we walked outside to see that it was still pouring, and I even saw a flash of lightning and a clap of thunder, but all the rides were still going.

Tom, Jared, and Gary decided to hit Turkey Whirl (HW's Tilt A Whirl). Not feeling up to a spinny ride, I passed up Turkey Whirl for a solo ride on Voyage. I met back up with them, and they wanted another rainy ride on TW, so I headed back to Voyage. I looked down at them from the hill and waved, and they waved back.

We were debating on what to do next, when Adam runs into the line for Voyage. He was yelling COME ON, ANGIE! I caved, and entered the queue.. I looked behind me to see my entire group following me! I got two rides without re-entering the queue!

That made a total of FOUR rain rides on Voyage! On one of those rides, I had my arms crossed over my face to block the rain, and as we hit the more intense parts of the coaster, I was suddenly thrown sideways so forcefully that I headbutted the seat cushion next to me! That was insane!

Off to Legend we went, and we got 2 rides without re-entering the queue.

Over to Raven we went, and we got 2 rides without re-entering the queue. The group headed over to Eagles Flight, and I backed out. After 14 rides on Voyage, I couldn't even look at the Eagles without feeling nauseous. As much as I wanted to ride it, my stomach said it was likely a bad idea. Adam didn't ride either. No one blamed us for skipping out on the Eagles.

Back to Voyage we went, and we got 3 rides without re-entering the queue.

The group went over to Legend, and Tom skipped it. He waited for me, and I got off the train. The rest of the group looked at me like I was crazy. I suddenly realized we only had half an hour left in the park, and announced to Tom that I wanted to lap Voyage until the park closed. Tom told them where we were going.. I got FIVE rides without re-entering the queue, and got the last train of the day. We all took photos with Santa too.

My ride count (saving the best for last):

Gobbler Getaway - 1

Eagles Flight - 1

Bumper Cars - 1

Liberty Launch - 1

Raven - 4

Legend - 7

Voyage - 22

THIRTY-SEVEN RIDES IN 8 HOURS!!

Our group met up, and we all agreed on Mrs Klaus Kitchen.. home of the famous fudge (made with cream and butter!). I bought 5 pieces, and our group walked to the exit together. Kat, Tom, Nick and I all agreed on Santa's Candy Castle, which is only 1 mile south of Holiday World. We both ended up going the wrong direction, and never made it to the place lol. Kat told me to meet them at the HW entrance, and told us to follow them to their friend Andy's for free soup night. Not objecting to free food and meeting new people, I followed.

The four of us ended up eating delicious soup, listening to music from a laptop, and chatting with 5 HW ride ops and a group of several other random people in the loft of an antique store/furniture dept/apt complex somewhere in Indiana. It was the most random thing ever, and we had a lot of fun getting to know people. I went downstairs to check out the antique store, and saw that it was adjacent to a small restaurant. A lady that worked there bought me a vanilla cupcake with white chocolate caramel icing.. it was the most decadent cupcake I'd ever had in my life.

The four of us were getting tired, and headed to Kat and Nick's hotel room. We stayed up for a few hours joking, and watching amusement park videos and POVs, and finally went to sleep.

Tom and I left the next morning, and sadly, we parted with our dear friends Kat and Nick. I hadn't gotten much sleep, and 90% of the drive back was in a complete downpour. After driving nearly 100 miles in a deluge with my wipers on high, getting irritated with people tailgating me, and starting to get hypnotized by the road, I HAD to pull off and rest for a little while. I'd also seen two cars that had hit the wall, one was facing the opposite direction, and semi trucks were flying past me at speeds definitely not safe for the road conditions. Not to mention, I was extremely sore from power riding Voyage as much as I had.

We finally made it back to his house 4 1/2 hours after we had left.

I am SO GLAD that we ignored the weather forecast and went anyway. I would love to rewind this weekend and live it all over again, well, except for some parts. I had an amazing time with everyone.. thank you to everyone who went for making it all worth it.

<3

Friday night I thought you guys were crazy for even thinking about going. Then I read your facebook posts and found myself getting a bit depressed. That all changed when we got to HWs gates the next morning.

I am so glad that you had a great trip and that you posted on FB motivating me to that a chance for a legendary voyage to a park that I will be raven about for a long time.

To be honest, I've been semi-anxiously awaiting this report. I love reading your great TRs, giga- and this one did not disappoint! Thanks for writing it! :)

Oh, and one other thing I want to clarify...

I went to the season pass center and got my season pass. Completely hassle free and very quick process, and it worked the first time it scanned. I loudly made a comment about how I was glad at least one of my passes worked this year, and one of the employees laughed. I think they knew what I was getting at. XD

Were the lines really that short for pass processing? I'm getting mine processed this Saturday, and my lack of any-park-besides-KI-or-CP knowhow has me cringing with horrible flashbacks to LONG April/May weekend processing lines. Haha. I really want to get that first ride on Voyage as soon as possible! Just saying.

To be honest, I've been semi-anxiously awaiting this report. I love reading your great TRs, giga- and this one did not disappoint! Thanks for writing it! :)

Oh, and one other thing I want to clarify...

I went to the season pass center and got my season pass. Completely hassle free and very quick process, and it worked the first time it scanned. I loudly made a comment about how I was glad at least one of my passes worked this year, and one of the employees laughed. I think they knew what I was getting at. XD

Were the lines really that short for pass processing? I'm getting mine processed this Saturday, and my lack of any-park-besides-KI-or-CP knowhow has me cringing with horrible flashbacks to LONG April/May weekend processing lines. Haha. I really want to get that first ride on Voyage as soon as possible! Just saying.

dare-to-fly and I got there maybe 15 minutes after park opening and literally had zero wait for our processing. We paid for them at the season pass window, walked over to the processing line, where the door was immediately opened into the processing room where a very friendly admissions associate took my picture and handed me my new season pass ... my fourth this year! (CF, SF, DW, and HW)

However, there was a line of about 10 people when we got to the park at 11 CST on Sunday waiting to process.

Holiday World is one of two places I have not had a problem with my pass scanning - the other being Dollywood. So far every other park I've been to this year as a passholder has not been able to scan my pass at the gate. It was also really awesome to be able to just show my pass and receive 10% off EVERYTHING I purchased!

literally had zero wait for our processing. We paid for them at the season pass window, walked over to the processing line, where the door was immediately opened into the processing room where a very friendly admissions associate took my picture and handed me my new season pass

Same here! :) No wait whatsoever!