Holiday World 5/1/10 PTR

DropZone99

In 2001 I went to Holiday World and did ride Legend (with the Gerstlauer train) and Raven but don't remember them too well. So after 9 years, I finally made it back to Holiday World! Everything I have heard about the park in general and Voyage are true. The employees are really friendly and love their job! The park is really clean, in fact I didn't even see an ash in the smoking area! Voyage IS the best coaster I have ridden (ridden 110). It has everything I love in a coaster (just like I305) only it's wooden making it a little bit better.

Anyways, Mitchell and I woke up around 4AM. and left my house near 4:30AM. By 5:10AM. we pulled into Edinburgh Premium Outlet and met up with Jared (rotag). Mitchell parked his car and we got into Jared's and than we were off to Holiday World! The drive there really isn't too bad, just take 65 South until 64 West, than you just get off on some state road until you see Pilgrim's Plunge and Voyage! The whole way down it was raining, and when we arrived at the park like two hours before it opened it was still raining.

11tpu83.jpg

Since we needed to kill some time, we stopped at the gas station next to Holiday World. We hung out there for maybe twenty minutes before an employee kicked us out for not buying anything. We decided to drive to Wendy's near 64 and that state road. At Wendy's we got really hyper and were doing the most random things ever!

After our crazy hyperness, we saw Adam, Gary, Shawn, and Kim pull up. They stayed at Wendy's for maybe 10 minutes than we all left. While we were in there we saw other coaster enthusiasts wearing Kings Island shirts, weird thing is none of us knew them! So we drove back to Holiday World where the gates had just opened and we parked right next to the entrance! Raven was testing as we walked up to the entrance of the park! The lady who was giving me my ticket was so nice, she said since I was the first person to get a ticket in 2010 I get it for free, but she was just kidding. She also told me that Voyage was running great and to be sure to re-ride it many times (and we did!)

2zgddp0.jpg

29gjqzr.jpg

10o4q9u.jpg

282etyh.jpg

Mitchell, Jared, and I walked to Raven first since it's right next to the entrance. We got the second train of the season and I sat in the back. It was great to ride Raven again, I loved it. We ended up staying on for one more ride before walking to Legend. Legend had maybe 2 people in the station besides employees. I rode in the front this time and the ride was pretty good. We rode again only in the back, and wow! Legend easily made it to my #2 woodie (before I rode Voyage.)

4hr5fr.jpg

w9uyl5.jpg

We wanted to ride Voyage but on the way we ended up riding Paul Reverie's Midnight Ride. It was an alright ride, I'm surprised it didn't make me dizzy! We talked to Darlene while her friend was on Midnight Ride. I grabbed a Pepsi at one of the Pepsi Oasis's and than we made our way to Voyage! Well actually on the way there we got kinda lost and ended up by Eagle's Flight.

iqee08.jpg

As soon as I saw Voyage I started freaking out, I could not believe I'm finally getting to ride the best wooden coaster on the planet. We all ran to it and walked right up to the station with no wait. My first ride was in row 2 I believe. The first part of the ride (the trip out) was fun but I was expecting much better. The crazy turnaround was fun, but still wasn't what I thought it'd be. The way back though was amazing. After my first ride I said "This is a great ride, but extremely over rated and I like Cornball Express better." Than since the station was empty I rode in the second to back. THIS is where the best ride is! Once we got to the top of the lift, I got whipped over and experienced some crazy airtime! The next two hills were fun but offered very little airtime. The next small hill was fun but I got covered in 'Voyage splooge.' The turnaround was much more intense in the back, but one part of the turnaround I think is the only bad part of the ride because it's taken too fast and is kinda rough. Once we got to the midcourse I was expecting to slow down, NOPE we flew right through it! The first dip in the triple down offered good airtime, the second dip had some really good airtime, and the third and final dip was INSANE! Probably one of the best moments of airtime ever! I got more Voyage splooge on me in this tunnel. The next little hill also has some great ejector air! Now the spaghetti bowl section began, and when you weren't experiencing airtime you were being tossed around and thrown everywhere providing great laterals and one insane ride! I loved the S-turn like on I305, over the transfer track area. After the tunnel we did a similar element only going to opposite direction. The final turns after the last tunnel are boring compared to the rest of the ride. So after my second to back seat I declared Voyage is my new #1 coaster wood or steel and stayed on in that seat!

142bp0o.jpg

^I saw this on the tunnel's roof. WTF is it!?

jt4cq9.jpg

^Timberliner!

23h7lw2.jpg

2vmwxmg.jpg

2ia6jcy.jpg

I rode a few more times in that seat until the group wanted to go get funnel cakes. The funnel cake place wasn't open yet so we waited at the Alamo. Mitchell & I wanted to ride Liberty Launch but it was down, so we went to Holidog's Funtown for our Howler credit. The ride opt. was really nice and when we walked into the station he said "need your kiddie credit?" We ended up going through the layout twice. After Mitchell's 91st. coaster and my 110th., we explored the slides. The were the slowest slides ever, but it was still fun! We kinda forgot about everyone else so we got to the funnel cake place as they were almost done. Mitchell decided to get a funnel cake, and I got fried Oreo's. ZOMG sooo yummy! I let everyone try one, and most people loved them too. For now on it'll be a Holiday World tradition to get those!

34qjpj7.jpg

6foxv7.jpg

1sktj6.jpg

25z46qq.jpg

So after our delicious food we went to Rough Riders. Kat was telling us about the ones at Knoebels and how good they were. I told everyone about the ones at Indiana Beach. After our KIC takeover on them we walked to Liberty Launch for another take over. I love Liberty Launch, it's in my top 10 flat rides! I'm pretty sure we went to Raven and rode it two or three times, than went to Legend and rode it many times and they were ringing the bell. After that it was time to go back to Voyage. We rode about 5 times without getting off until for some reason we decided to take a break. All of us went to Gobble Getaway and we walked right onto it. I scored a 350 which is pathetic! It looked like it was going to rain so we went to Pilgrim's Plunge. I love how at HW they let you take off your shoes and stuff. I ended up taking off my shirt too, and I froze to death. As we left the station it started to rain... I ended up getting pretty wet on the ride and decided not to ride again until I'm wearing swim trunks and it's hot outside.

33yrswp.jpg

210d94n.jpg

hvb03p.jpg

2chi15.jpg

11scl88.jpg

rasuvs.jpg

Since we (Me, Mitchell, Shawn, Adam, Jared, and I think Kim) were already wet, we decided to ride Voyage during the downpour. As fun as it was, I couldn't keep my eyes open because of the rain. I think we rode 3 times in the rain. Me, Jared, and Mitchell left the group and went to Legend. We rode twice, than went to Raven and rode two more times. We stopped at Legend again where we saw Kat and Nick. We all rode together (me and Adam rode in second to back, Nick and Kat rode in the back, and Mitchell and Jared rode in the front) probably 6 times. It was amazing, I love Legend and can't get enough of it! Legend is 10 years old and they still ring the bell, it still has the howling, still has the theme, and still rides insane! Thank you so much Holiday World for keeping this amazing coaster at it's best for all of these years!

286r70g.jpg

b7m594.jpg

k15h92.jpg

zno1so.jpg

2nkovmd.jpg

igyrvb.jpg

2qdpk03.jpg

Nick and Kat went to get a jacket I think. All the rest of us went back to Voyage. We rode a few times than met back up with Angie, Tom, Shawn, Kim, Gary, and some other people too I think. We went to Fourth of July and rode Eagle's Flight. I actually get them to snap a tiny bit! I think Tom and Mitchell did also! Jared, Gary, and Shawn rode Revolution while the rest of us just relaxed and enjoyed the park. After they got off we went to Raven with Angie and Tom. We rode once than went to Legend where we rode twice. After what ended up being our last Legend & Raven rides, we went back to Voyage since the park was going to close in about thirty minutes. We just rerode for the rest of the evening and I rode in the second to back every single time except once in the very front!

1y50cy.jpg

^Wildebeest

24l4ps4.jpg

207umft.jpg

2wozn6r.jpg

ojoup4.jpg

t65qow.jpg

5zjsz7.jpg

ff34vs.jpg

rr5pbk.jpg

23u4tjc.jpg

My total ride count was...

Voyage: 29

Legend: 14

Raven: 10

Eagle's Flight: 2

Liberty Launch: 2

Howler: 1

Holidog's Slides: 1

Midnight Ride: 1

Gobble Getaway: 1

Pilgrim's Plunge: 1

62 rides in one day, pretty good I must say! (That rhymes!)

How did I get that Wet O thats right I took Wills Plunge. I had a Blast. 24 on Voyage 14 on Legend and 10 on Raven.

Nick and I are almost as soaked as you are and we didn't take Will's Plunge! Rain rides on Legend did that to us! Though the POURING rain rides on Voyage on Sunday were a whole different story ... remember our epic KI trip in the downpour last year after SFKK? It was kind of like that. I'm pretty sure I could wring water out of my t-shirt, and that's from under a jacket!! We decided since we were already soaked we'd ride Raging Rapids, and only Nick got wet. :P

there is a TON of stuff id like to add, but that would require me writin a tr (which i dont feel up to now). but the one thing i will add is me & tom got our turkeys to whirl pretty good, but when we added gator to the mix; my stratigy went off the ride & to the nearest waste receptical.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful trip report...but I can't help repeating.

Legend is 10 years old!

How did THAT happen!?

Thanks, It's hard to believe how fast time goes sometimes!

How did I get that Wet O thats right I took Wills Plunge. I had a Blast. 24 on Voyage 14 on Legend and 10 on Raven.

Haha yeah, we took Will's Plunge IN THE RAIN! Had a great time hanging out!

Great photos as always! Voyage is MY number one woody as well. And it IS hard to believe Legend is 10 already.

Where does the time go?

Thanks! It's my #1 also.

Nick and I are almost as soaked as you are and we didn't take Will's Plunge! Rain rides on Legend did that to us! Though the POURING rain rides on Voyage on Sunday were a whole different story ... remember our epic KI trip in the downpour last year after SFKK? It was kind of like that. I'm pretty sure I could wring water out of my t-shirt, and that's from under a jacket!! We decided since we were already soaked we'd ride Raging Rapids, and only Nick got wet. :P

Yeah those rides on Legend in the rain were amazing, I just I wasn't on the right side of the train! :wacko:

Great TR Nick.

I too got splooged on by Voyage. I thought that it just didn't like the fact that I was wearing an El Toro shirt on it.

Thanks! Yeah I'm kinda mad about the splooge too, I was wearing my white Thunderhead shirt, and it doesn't look too white anymore!

there is a TON of stuff id like to add, but that would require me writin a tr (which i dont feel up to now). but the one thing i will add is me & tom got our turkeys to whirl pretty good, but when we added gator to the mix; my stratigy went off the ride & to the nearest waste receptical.

I had a BLAST hanging out with you, thanks again for taking us! It was probably the best day of my life!