Enchanted Voyage

Coney Islander

Just created this topic to learn more about KI's first dark ride. I have a few questions-

What was Enchanted Voyage like? How does it compare to "Its a small world"? "Phantom Theater"? "Boo Blasters"? Do you miss it?

Edit- It operated with the same boat system that Garfield's Nightmare at Kennywood currently utilizes, right?

If I recall correctly, Enchanted Voyage was like being transported into your saturday morning cartoons. It was a slow boat ride going from scene to scene with different shows characters with music and some movement. It is very hard to recall any of these memories since that has been over 30 years. Anyone remember if there were any Sid and Marty Croft characters?(Banana Splits) Sorry my memories are a little fuzzy. Lol

I've been going to KI since I was 11 when it opened in 1972 so, of course, I experienced Enchanted Voyage. There was nothing like it and one of the biggest mistakes in KI's history was dismantling it.

You entered the ride on the outside on a rotating platform into boats. I cannot remember a whole lot about the details except that it was full of Hannah Barbera characters that I grew up with. I seem to recall that you passed a frog that belched, then said, " Excuse me. " ( My sister's favorite part of the ride. ) The last part of the ride was a mini haunted area ( nothing too scary for the kids. ) And of course, there was that wonderful song ( I don't remember exactly how the lyrics went-just remember the ending refrain " that live in my teveee......."-help me Terpy!!!)

I remember riding this when I was like 5 years old. I believe I have a few old photos my parents took while riding this stored somewhere. This was before it was changed over to the Smurf theme. A couple of things I seem to recall were Scooby and Shaggy in a boat being shot up in the air by a spout of water from a whale. Also I remember there being a Gulliver's Travels segment during the ride.

When was it converted from Enchanted Voyage to Smurfs?...

1982. And some of us were far less than amused at the time...

That would explain why I don't remember it - that's the same year I was born :)

My family wasn't too thrilled with the Smurfs being replaced either - suddenly you go from a fun family-friendly ride to a haunted house that definitely isn't family friendly (I never rode it as PT, but I've seen videos of it).

I've been going to KI since I was 11 when it opened in 1972 so, of course, I experienced Enchanted Voyage. There was nothing like it and one of the biggest mistakes in KI's history was dismantling it.

You entered the ride on the outside on a rotating platform into boats. I cannot remember a whole lot about the details except that it was full of Hannah Barbera characters that I grew up with. I seem to recall that you passed a frog that belched, then said, " Excuse me. " ( My sister's favorite part of the ride. ) The last part of the ride was a mini haunted area ( nothing too scary for the kids. ) And of course, there was that wonderful song ( I don't remember exactly how the lyrics went-just remember the ending refrain " that live in my teveee......."-help me Terpy!!!)

and as a side note, that catchy song was brought back as part of the 'Funtastic World of Hanna Barbara' that played in the B side of Action Theatre a couple of seasons ago. That movie was an import from Universal Studios, where it ran previously.

When was it converted from Enchanted Voyage to Smurfs?...

1982. And some of us were far less than amused at the time...

Several online timelines give 1982 as being the date that the Enchanted Voyage was converted to the Smurfs, but an analysis of several old Kings Island maps and brochures reveals that 1984 was the actual date of the conversion to the Smurfs. Hanna Barbera land was revised in 1982, but the Smurfs came in 1984. (The history timeline on KICentral gives BOTH 1982 and 1984 as the date.)

• Like 1

Wow I do have a picture some where on my old computer with a coming soon poster out side the Enchanted Voyage's that list the date. I have no idea when I can get the old computer back up but I will look when I get time.

I found the picture my brother has it the date is 1984 you can see the Enchanted Voyage in the back ground.

Also the picture was taken in 1983 and you can see people in line for the ride.

Was it the same queue/loading area for BBaBH?

The queue and loading station were actually outside the building.

Oh never knew that. Where were they outside the building?

The structure that currently serves as the Great Pumpkin Coaster's station and ride photo building was the loading area, I believe. The entrance was in Hanna Barberra land and then climbed stairs to cross the ride's flume, then back down more stairs to the loading platform. The boats left the station and followed the flume into the building right about where the BBoBH entrance is now, entering a giant TV painted on the side of the building.

Yes, that area was the station. I remember it well, because I took a spill down those stairs as a 7 year old (1981). I scraped up my chin and fought the tears the entire ride.

Who remembers the giant set of "teeth" at the end of the ride? They were kind of like big vertical blinds that hung over the flume, near the exit out of the building.

Right before your boat reached them, they raised up out of the way, and then dropped after you passed through. The effect didn't work as well if the boats were close together, because then the teeth didn't come all the way down in between boats. I think the teeth survived the Smurfs changeover, but maybe were removed in the late 80s.

Another memory was the ice cold air in the winter sections (Smurf version only?). Felt so good on a hot day.

I remember the Enchanted Voyage like it was yesterday. Well, bits of it anyway. I started going to KI in the late 70s and went multiple times a year throughout most of the 80s.

The awkward first step onto the revolving platform to reach the boats.

The goofy snail just outside the tunnel entrance saying howdy and goodbye.

The welcome blast of cool air that hit you on a hot day.

The HB characters in all their cheesy animatronic glory.

Even the giant teeth someone mentioned earlier that opened and closed as the boats exited the ride.

And yes, I was entirely too angry when they ditched the HB theme for the Smurfs. I still rode it occasionally because it was a nice relaxing way to cool off, but it was never the same.

The structure that currently serves as the Great Pumpkin Coaster's station and ride photo building was the loading area, I believe. The entrance was in Hanna Barberra land and then climbed stairs to cross the ride's flume, then back down more stairs to the loading platform. The boats left the station and followed the flume into the building right about where the BBoBH entrance is now, entering a giant TV painted on the side of the building.

Well, yes, and no.

The wooden "shelter" that now serves as the loading station for the Great Pumpkin Coaster was added, if memory serves me, when the attraction became "Smurfs Enchanted Voyage."

When it was originally Enchanted Voyage" there was a cloth tent on one side of the load platform that covered the queue area only. There was indeed a stairway/walkway that went over the flume trough leading guests from the queue to the turntable. However the stairway and turntable were originally in the blazing sun (as were MANY of the queue lines back in the early days of KI.)

When Smurfs came along, the wooden shelter was built around the existing staircase. That's why today, when you look at the loading station for the coaster, in the middle there's a square area. That was once where the staircase used to come down to the load platform.

Here's some pics to compare:

HannaBarberaLandEnchantedVoyage%281975%29.jpg

sept062-nickuniverse.jpg

I just found my Kings Island Fun Guides from 1982, 1983 and 1984, whicb include the park map and list of attractions and so on.

The 1982 one refers to The Enchanted Voyage.

The 1983 calls it The Enchanted Voyage sponsored by Crush. There is no mention of Smurfs at all. If this park guide (and my personal memories) are correct, the original Enchanted Voyage was still going during at least part of 1983.

The 1984 guide calls it Smurf's Enchanted Voyage.

• Like 1

I just found my Kings Island Fun Guides from 1982, 1983 and 1984, whicb include the park map and list of attractions and so on.

The 1982 one refers to The Enchanted Voyage.

The 1983 calls it The Enchanted Voyage sponsored by Crush. There is no mention of Smurfs at all. If this park guide (and my personal memories) are correct, the original Enchanted Voyage was still going during at least part of 1983.

The 1984 guide calls it Smurf's Enchanted Voyage.

Yes, the Smurfs didn't take over the ride until 1984. In late 1983, the park put up a sign advertising the arrival of the Smurfs outside the (then) Enchanted Voyage. Here's a pic (albeit very blurry) of a person standing in front of the sign. Look closely and you'll see it says they will be arriving in '84.

kingisland-enchantedSIGN.jpg

One of the things I loved the most about this ride was that it loaded outside. It was like you got into a boat and rode off to this magical place and then at the end you came back out into the real world again.

Again, not at all unlike Monster Plantation at Six Flags Over Georgia....

And Monster Plantation at SFOG is better than ever since they remodeled the ride last year and now call it Monster Mansion. I went last year and rode it and was truly impressed with how they altered the ride, but kept the basic ride experience the same. (It helped that they hired the same person to revise the ride that originally created it.) RIding it does make me miss The Enchanted Voyage....

• 2 weeks later...

For its time, I think that Enchanted Voyage was equally themed. I remember feeling like I was in another world. Truly transported. At the time it was my favorite ride in the whole park. Now I don't think it would hold up to today's standards just like watching the original Star Wars compared to todays CGI.

For its time, I think that Enchanted Voyage was equally themed. I remember feeling like I was in another world. Truly transported. At the time it was my favorite ride in the whole park. Now I don't think it would hold up to today's standards just like watching the original Star Wars compared to todays CGI.

It was air conditioned also so as a kid mom and dad would ride it with us 3 times a day to cool down.