My Bright Idea for what to do with Son of Beast

benred23

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can imagine this... Scientists have finally captured Son of Beast, and do some genetic testing on him, in an attempt to create a machine- beast robot that 'helps' people. tongue.gif Something goes terribly wrong...

Oh God... Oh no... I swore it wouldn't happen, but it's happening!

I'm flashing back to that time when rumors abounded that Diamondback was to be named B3: Bionic Beast. *loses lunch*

But I do like the "half-machine, half-beast" angle... In many ways, though, wasn't that already the story? The Beast was running lose in the woods of Rivertown, but they managed to ensnare the Son while he was young and transport him to the same "government facility" that Top Gun supposedly took place at? That's how I always thought of it, and if I recall correctly, that was its official backstory - hence the old Perimeter Surveillance Vehicle trains and the flashing blue lights in the station... It was like, The Beast meets a government facility. I liked it!

A pre-show, even told by posters in the queue might've clarified... But as it was, I think that was awesome.

I have said before and will say again: My vote goes for the return of the 2001 poster: a carriage sitting on a wooden track, the loop in the background, with text reading: "Son of Beast was a real brat. But now, he's on his best behavior." Imagine that image coupled with the logo for "Son of Beast: REBORN." The very thought sends chills down my spine... I'd kill to see that poster again. I know images of it were floating around here a few years ago, if that... I bet I already mentioned that in this very thread... Oh look, I did! I know myself so well..

It's Deja Vu all over again.

And probably would end about the same way, some would say:

http://www.rcdb.com/qs.htm?t=deja+vu

Well, it would have a 1/3 chance of operating over time...if that be the illustrative guide...or 2/3 if silver would count...

That's the first time I can ever recall a coaster being relocated to a different country. Wonder how much it cost them to ship it to Brazil...

I honestly am starting to see a little merit in the "mine-train conversion" theory. It seems like it might reduce the roughness, but I wouldn't mind them to keep SOME roughness in for fun and to make it still "feel" like a woodie (but not so much that it causes pain!). The park would lose the "World's Tallest Wooden Roller Coaster" record but could bill Son of Beast as "the tallest and fastest steel/wood hybrid coaster in the entire world". And it would be different enough from Diamondback to make sense to have 2 hypercoasters. Then we could order a pre-fab intamin wooden hypercoaster (Beast III: The Unleashing?) and take the tallest & fastest records back! Then, Kings Island will surpass all theme/amusement parks! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHO!!!:P

...or, they could put pre-fab wooden track or timberliners on it, and then instead of the Intamin Pre-Fab we could get a B&M Invert...or a dueling B&M Invert! BWA HA HAHOHOHOHOHO AGAIN!!!:P

In all honesty, I just want it open so I can FINALLY RIDE THE (Insert curse word here) THING!!!<_<

It seems like it might reduce the roughness, but I wouldn't mind them to keep SOME roughness in for fun and to make it still "feel" like a woodie.

Even as someone who enjoys the ride, I think the LAST thing you should worry about is that ANY action taken with Son of Beast makes it "too smooth." Don't you worry about it - I don't think they could manage that even if they wanted to (which they might)!

If it ever does reopen and is redone but still maintains the massive lift hill and first drop, it should be renamed MAMMOTH. That's what I kind of wished the coaster should've been called back then, with cheesy marketing gimmicks such as, "It's a mammoth of a coaster" or "It's a mammoth-sized ride".

I always believed The Beast to be some kind of saber-tooth tiger that's managed to be alive after all these years. Maybe it was the result of being thawed from ice (like every cliched story of thawing a caveman) by a nearby government facility *cough*X-Base*cough* and the creature escaped.

MAMMOTH is another attempt at bringing back an extinct animal, maybe even something to actually go toe-to-toe with the legendary Beast. If Sonny becomes a hybrid (steel and wood), that could be a part of the story of them working on the remains of a woolly mammoth and they add mechanical fixings to it like the Six-Million-Dollar Man...or Mammoth. Half nature, half machine, all-evil.

On the exciting debut in May 2000 Son of Beast was drenched in so much anticipation it forced the rider to say they like it because they didn't want to admit SOB was a bad ride since they've probably been waiting since 1999 when PKI announced SOB. By 02' or 03' people started to realize that the ride was a FAIL!!!sad.gif By 08'-present the ride has become a major problem that brings down the name that is 'Kings Island'

SOB is crying out for Intamin to come KI make the ride a "prefab"

It's our last hope. If this doesn't work...NOTHING WILL!!!

cool.gif

I dunno about that... really until the incident in '06 did anyone complain about it much? I rode it in '03 in its original glory, twice in the dead back of the train and got off both times pumped, excited and ready to ride again, and when I went that day it was a pretty dead day yet the Son of Beast had about a 45 minute wait. I honestly didn't find it a fail or a bust, It was everything I expected it to be!

my personal opinion is I'd love a massive renovation and new marketing campaign to get people interested in it again. Its still such a beautifull looking coaster and they can pretend its not there, but its still a huge part of the KI skyline. Approaching the park you see 3 things first: Diamondback, The Eiffel Tower, and Son of Beast! I'd hate to see them tear it down and everytime I've been to the park my trips have felt somewhat incomplete without being able to ride it.

Its up to Cedar Fair to decide but personally if it came down to either build a new coaster and tear it down, or do a massive renovation and make it an overall better, safer, and smoother ride, I'd take the later. And personally I think they could renovate the SOB cheaper than they could building a new coaster. I mean Diamondback cost what 22 million? Its not going to cost $22 million to renovate.

And Texas Giant is nowhere near the size of Son of Beast...length or height...

Nor did it experience the noted structural problems that Son of Beast notably has.

It did not have a major element removed, nor had it changed trains in an effort to lessen track wear and structural concerns...

To understand if the "Iron horse" solution would work or not one thing I have to admit I'm unsure of is what exactly broke on '06... was it just the track or did the structure itself fail causing the track to crack? If the structure held I imagine this would be an idea solution, however at the cost of loosing all its records, but hey oh well. The records don't mean much enlight of its new reputation as the trouble maker of the park. I think they might as well say screw the records lets just make this a good enjoyable ride again!

The state report noted a lack of structural integrity...in other words, the structure failed to support the track at the point where the track gave way...

Then I'm not sure what a heavier "iron" track will do to keep the structure to from failing again.

My point is this...the initial cost of Son of Beast has never been publicly disclosed...

Whatever it may have been, it is a sunk cost....and deciding what to do next in business rarely takes sunk costs into account...they have been spent...there is such a thing as throwing good money after bad...and there is such a thing as a small investment allowing you to recoup huge returns...Which is this? That is the question....