My Bright Idea for what to do with Son of Beast

benred23

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that is one of many factors being looked at...in order to compare alternatives, you must weigh each. Some coasters have stood idle but not operating for quite some time before finally being demolished...Drachen Fire comes immediately to mind...it was taken off the park map, quietly ignored, and only when the land was believed to be needed for another attraction was it finally demolished.

I think that if Cedar Fair can never find a solution to SOB that they open for one more season for 2011. This would give everybody a chance to rideit who never got to. Although this could be a bad idea, one more season means about 140 more days where KI could end up with another law suit on their hands.

It's either they fix monstrosity of the ride or it's slash-and-burn for SOB.

sleep.gif

The General Manager of the park has said he is not happy with the ride experience...so there you have it. The state has cleared the ride to operate, but Cedar Fair management has not...

Kosmac even said the ride was boring and looked liked it was thrown together :D

That's coming from a guy who loves Diamondback to DEATH. I'm not surprised he'd put down any other coaster in the park. :lol:

Well the more i think about it obviously its for Cedar Fair to decide and not me, but I realize I am in the minority. The Son of Beast has a bad reputation, alot of people won't ride it due to bad memories, and others won't ride it because of its bad rep. And yeah I guess the track layout isn't that great other than the first couple hills. And 10 - 15 million invested could bring us a new coaster, perhaps a new Vekoma SLC, or a used B&M invert that would fit nicely in Action Zone. Honestly though I don't know what their plan is, but as of right now I'm guessing their plan is to leave it SBNO until they have a use for the land. Like Terpy said, its Drachen Fire all over again.

I like the Iron Horse idea, but I doubt the park will spend that much money to revive a coaster with a bad rep they basically inherited. Their are better wooden Coasters built that had cost less, so they could tear it down and give us another awesome woody for less than it would cost to renovate.

I think that if Cedar Fair can never find a solution to SOB that they open for one more season for 2011. This would give everybody a chance to rideit who never got to. Although this could be a bad idea, one more season means about 140 more days where KI could end up with another law suit on their hands.

sleep.gif

Ok so I'm not trying to be mean but if its closed for safety reasons, they are not going to open it up so people can ride it again. Then they might as well keep it open...

sleep.gif

Ok so I'm not trying to be mean but if its closed for safety reasons, they are not going to open it up so people can ride it again. Then they might as well keep it open...

That's why I said, "this could be a bad idea" And anyway it's not closed for safety reasons. The State of Ohio has certified it operate. It's CF thats not letting it open

...Like Terpy said, its Drachen Fire all over again...

Terpy did NOT say that. Terpy pointed out certain circumstances surrounding Drachen Fire and stated what Drachen Fire's ultimate fate was. Whether or not those circumstances apply to Son of Beast Terpy left for the dear reader to judge...

Terpy, who is known to lead horseys to water, but whether or not said horseys drink is up to the horseys

Speaking of plans, I have seen pictures of the Texas Giant renovation. The new track looks nice. I imagine if it cost 10 million to renovate this, the SOB would be at least 20 million. I just can't see CF investing into this at this very moment. I would like to see the outcome for TG though.

Speaking of plans, I have seen pictures of the Texas Giant renovation. The new track looks nice. I imagine if it cost 10 million to renovate this, the SOB would be at least 20 million. I just can see CF investing into this at this very moment. I would like to see the outcome for TG though.

I did the math it's around 14 million  :P

Speaking of plans, I have seen pictures of the Texas Giant renovation. The new track looks nice. I imagine if it cost 10 million to renovate this, the SOB would be at least 20 million. I just can see CF investing into this at this very moment. I would like to see the outcome for TG though.

I did the math it's around 14 million :P

So about 14 million huh? If i can recall that's about how much it will cost to build a brand spanking new flat with money left over to redo Crypt!

I heard somewhere that Paramount had originally decided between building Son of Beast, or a recreation of the Crystal Beach Cyclone.

Maybe, now...?

Not correct. The other choice was to re-create the Rye Aeroplane....tis sad what they could have had. At the time, they owned the blueprints to the Aeroplane (also spelled Airplane). Whether they are at Cedar Fair or not is unknown...at least to me.

Thank you! I was waiting for you (or someone else) to correct me. After I read an article on The Crystal Beach Cyclone, I knew it couldn't be right...

Edit= Here are some POVs The Interpreter posted a while back-Rye Aeroplane Coaster Footage - Kings Island Central Forums

Looks like one wild ride! Maybe even better than The Beast...

Looking at this made me drool.:P

I did the math it's around 14 million tongue.gif

So about 14 million huh? If i can recall that's about how much it will cost to build a brand spanking new flat with money left over to redo Crypt!

14 million to renovate SOB plus 30 million it has cost the park so far would add up to 44 million dollars they have spent on just one ride! That's more money than what they used to expand Action Zone in 1999!

Hey Cormaster, As I said in another post, I dont think its gonna be knocked down. Im just tryin to figure out why they are letting it sit there with no referance to it anywhere?! I was on Eiffell tower the other day and some girl asked what ride is that?! The Op said Thats Son of Beast. And the girl asked if the line was long and they guy said it was closed this year. The girl asked why and the op said he wasnt sure but there are "Plans in place" for it, but there not informing any of the ride operators or anyone that would let the info leak out. Sounds like they have a plan in place, now for us, the consumer, time to once again, Wait and see.. :)

SOB Forever!

Andy