My Bright Idea for what to do with Son of Beast

benred23

! I was on Eiffell tower the other day and some girl asked what ride is that?! The Op said Thats Son of Beast. And the girl asked if the line was long and they guy said it was closed this year. The girl asked why and the op said he wasnt sure but there are "Plans in place" for it, but there not informing any of the ride operators or anyone that would let the info leak out. Sounds like they have a plan in place, now for us, the consumer, time to once again, Wait and see..

One thing that has become painfully obvious in my time here is that Joe Schmo the ride operator does not know what is planned for the park's future. Believe it or not, the powers that be at Kings Island and at Cedar Fair Entertainment Company do not reveal their classified plans to many people - the general manager of Kings Island may not know what is planned for his own park five years down the road. We don't even know if Kings Island will finish out this year as a Cedar Fair property. And that's the truth. So when a ride operator tells you about Kings Island's next 500 foot tall coaster, or how they're redoing Drop Zone and putting it indoors, or how they know what's happening to Son of Beast, but just can't tell you... Well... They're not always telling the truth.

We all get c0cky with our friends and may exaggerate or state facts that aren't necessarily true but it makes us and the park look good, or help prove a point. Unfortunately, our friends and those who overhear us may think it's all truth. They tell a friend, who tells a friend, who distorts it a bit and then tells another friend, and before you know it, Son of Beast is being fixed, Flight Deck is getting suspended trains, Paramount wants the parks back, and Scooby Doo is coming back... And those are just the rumors we've heard (and seen written on Wikipedia) this season alone.

My dad always used to tell me that he knew the exact contents and recipes and secret ingredients of every Taco Bell item on the menu. I always assured him that, just because he worked the Taco Bell drive thru 30 years ago does not mean that the company executives let him in on each and every trade secret, and that he didn't know everything about it. Sometimes the employees of amusement parks need to be brought back down to earth again, too (but don't we all?)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't believe the words of a regular KI park employee. You gotta figure 90% of them are just college kids looking for summer work, they are just there to get paid, what do they know? I mean in all honestly I've worked at lowes for 7 years going on 8 years and I can't tell you jack about the company! What do I care? They are paying me thats all I Care about.

Point is what goes on in corporate stays in corporate!

• 4 weeks later...

While the idea of turning it into a hybrid is great, I just don't like the name Beast 2 at all. I know it's intended to be a sequal, but there's almost no originality in that! I think if they do change it into a Tubular Track Hybrid like Gemini, AE, or the Cedar Creek Mine Ride, it would become a much more popular ride and would stop being ridiculed so much, because this would make it so much smoother without a doubt. tongue.gif

If they keep it or not guess it does not matter to me. The thing beat me to pieces..lol. The Racer beats me to pieces these days...lol It's an age thing I suppose. I remember as a kid riding Racer with nothing but the skinny lap bar and who ever rode with me had to hold me or put their arm around me cause the air time I thought I was flying out. I would be like DADDDDD!!!! I almost fell out. Now it's like I love AIRTIME! With the exception of DT...ha!

Old Mister Kinzel had troubles of his own

He had a wooden coaster which wouldn't leave his park he called his own;

He tried and he tried to give the coaster away,

He gave it to a man goin' far, far away.

But the coaster came back the very next year,

The coaster came back, we thought it was a goner

But the coaster came back; it just couldn't stay away.

Away, away, yea, yea, yea

The man around the corner swore he'd kill the coaster on sight,

He loaded up his shotgun with nails and dynamite;

He waited and he waited for the coaster to come around,

Ninety seven pieces of the man is all they found.

He gave a torch to a little boy named Brown with a dollar note,

Told him for to take it up with gas and wanted to see the smoke

They tied sparklers around its neck, that SoB was sure to burn up

Now they drag the ashes for Brown, all they found was his cup.

He gave a bomb to a man going up in a balloon,

He told him to blow that SoB to the moon;

The balloon came down about ninety miles away,

Where he is now, well I dare not say.

They tried to fix it with a man way out West,

Told him for to fix it like the one he loved the best;

First the train hit the curve, then it jumped the rail,

Not a soul was left behind to tell the gruesome tale.

The coaster, it had some company one night out in the yard,

Someone threw a boot-jack, and they threw it mighty hard;

It caught the coaster near the MCBR, she thought it spilt a beam,

When back came a train and the guests with no air stream

On a telegraph wire, Kinzel's men were sitting in a bunch,

The coaster was feeling hungry, thought she'd like 'em for a lunch;

Climbing softly up the lift, and when she reached the top,

Put her foot upon the electric wire, which tied their stomachs in a knot.

The coaster was a predecessor, a daddy of its own,

With five little trains that moved like a cyclone;

Blew all the coasters all away and tossed the guests around,

The air was full of guests, and not a one was ever found.

The atom bomb fell just the other day,

The H-Bomb fell in the very same way;

Bat went, Drachen went, and then the King Cobra

The human race was finished without a chance to pray.

I think the hybrid idea is great but others have pointed out when you look at what they've already spent, and how much more it will cost to build the hybrid...wouldn't you rather just let it go? I'm kinda there myself. At some point even the few Son of Beast fans like myself gotta admit it was a fail coaster from the beginning and as a fan of the coaster I'm lucky they put the money into it to keep it running for 8 or 9 seasons. The problem too with the hybrid idea is its the structure that has problems, not necissarily the track so I'm not sure if a new track would make the structure any more stable.

I truly believe this is it for the Son of Beast. I think its doomed to sit and rot until Cedar Fair is ready to put in its next coaster.

Guest Millennium

If they keep it or not guess it does not matter to me. The thing beat me to pieces..lol. The Racer beats me to pieces these days...lol It's an age thing I suppose. I remember as a kid riding Racer with nothing but the skinny lap bar and who ever rode with me had to hold me or put their arm around me cause the air time I thought I was flying out. I would be like DADDDDD!!!! I almost fell out. Now it's like I love AIRTIME! With the exception of DT...ha!

dt?

I think the hybrid idea is great but others have pointed out when you look at what they've already spent, and how much more it will cost to build the hybrid...wouldn't you rather just let it go? I'm kinda there myself. At some point even the few Son of Beast fans like myself gotta admit it was a fail coaster from the beginning and as a fan of the coaster I'm lucky they put the money into it to keep it running for 8 or 9 seasons. The problem too with the hybrid idea is its the structure that has problems, not necissarily the track so I'm not sure if a new track would make the structure any more stable.

I truly believe this is it for the Son of Beast. I think its doomed to sit and rot until Cedar Fair is ready to put in its next coaster.

Remember, though, that was have no figures for the demolition and removal of Son of Beast, either... Son of Beast is within 15 feet of two other coasters, requiring a VERY controlled demolition much like a skyscraper in a city. It must must must fall a certain way at a certain speed with explosives / demolition crews in very specific locations so as not to compromise any nearby rides. Then, once you've got piles of treated, un-recyclable wood and nails, who do you call? where does it go? what can you do with it? Assuming it must be carted off to a landfill somewhere (as it cannot be burned due to the chemicals it's treated with) how many trucks must come? how much gas? how many man-hours? where, oh where, does it go? Son of Beast is without question the largest wooden structure in the world. Who would be willing to step in and try to demolish it? Who would be willing to do the (expensive) research required on how to remove a wooden structure so large? Nothing of that caliber has been done before, after all...

Not saying demolition would be more expensive than any particular fix, just that it's something to think about. They cannot simply click the delete button. You know how on Roller Coaster Tycoon you can build a pathway for $12 and when you delete it, you only get $6 back? That's because the "removal" costs $6... So if demolition would approach $8 million, and installing the Iron Horse track & reinforcing the structure with steel would cost $13 million... Well, that's called a "dilemma," kids, and something that would be on the table and discussed more than once, I bet.

Another thing to consider: Kings Island's general manager said that three manufacturing firms had been contacted about Son of Beast. One had returned an idea that was insufficient (read, "too expensive") and the other two were still deliberating. Mr. Scheid also said that the ride's removal had not been discussed as an option. Take that for what it's worth.

I highly, highly doubt that Son of Beast is the largest wooden structure in the world.

Wooden track suspended two-hundred + feet in the air? The giant rose-bowls? It's the second longest wooden coaster on Earth, and its track is raised to a much greater height than the first-longest in the world... Think just of the wood supporting the "pre-drop" before the big hill. Perhaps it's not thee largest, but it's certainly in the top five. After all, I don't know of many 20 story wooden buildings. Or wooden bridges that use so many feet of wood... The only thing that I can think of that would even be in the running for large wooden structures would be roller coasters, and I can't think of many that top Son of Beast in terms of sheer numbers.

SonOfBeast01.jpg

That's a lot of wood no matter which way you slice it...

Perhaps the largest wooden structure in America, but I again highly doubt that is the case in the world...

Given that Son of Beast is a terrain coaster (sort of), and how proud the park was on how much wood they saved due to that, I'd not even be sure it used less wood than, say, El Toro, which sits on flat land and does not have the low to ground sections that Son of Beast does...

I can see that. After all, it's a closed structure, with ceilings and floors and walls. If Son of Beast were disassembled and put back together as a building, it probably would not contain enough wood to build such a structure. The exterior, perhaps, but to have a complete interior? Doubtful.