Pavers on International Street

frisbeefan

I remember when working and as a guest of Kings Island that all the areas had thier own music that was geared to match the area. Rivertown had country, HB Land (all name changes through the years) had HB themed cartoon songs,Coney Mall had 1890ish to early 1900ish songs, one I always liked was: "Yes, sir that's my baby, yes sir that's my baby, yes sir that my sweety pie..", Octoberfest had German music, and International Street had French accorian music. Now it is like listening to an oldie radio station. Under Paramount I enjoyed the movie theme music. I would like to see each area return to having their own music geared for each area, like in the past.

Paramount did this up until Cedar Fair made changes to the music. International Street had the classic epic entrance music soundtrack, Action Zone had upbeat music, I'll always remember them playing Jitterbug by Wham, Rivertown had country, and HBL had kid songs that I used to sing along to while I worked there since it would loop every hour.

The ground at the front of International Street was already bricks (at least in the center), so I wonder if they're talking about the entrance plaza, not actually International Street?

The entrance plaza is also already partially using pavers. They put pavers in years ago when they removed the old ticket booths and installed the metal detectors.

Actually, I believe the area you'll see paved is the black asphalt area to the right and left of the entrance INSIDE the park. See the below photo:

P4140910.jpg

If you draw back the view of International Street, you'll see that only the patches to the left and right of the entrance area in front of the fountains was black-top. Once you begin down International Street, the pavers re-appear. See below:

DiamondbackM-19.jpg

Question though... I haven't paid attention in the past 2 or 3 years. Is the ACE/Beast walkback stone still in place to the right of the fountains near the old camera/souvenir shop?

I believe that ACE members can participate in the Gold Pass Holder early ride time on Beast and Diamondback now, if they are not already a gold or platinum pass holder. DOn`t quote me on that, as I too ahve not been an ACE member for several, several years now.

Right now, only the side of International Street by the restrooms has had the new pavers installed. (In the pictures that Shaggy posted, it is the patch of asphalt on the left side by the front gate). However, they will be doing essentially the same thing on the right side. They will be removing all the asphalt up to the stroller rental and keyhole photo building and replacing it with pavers. How do I know? Well, if one looks closely at the asphalt in that area this weekend, you will see that there is a saw mark in the asphalt. This is so that when they remove the asphalt for the new pavers, they have a nice clean edge to line up the edge of the pavers.

I too hope that more pavers are installed in the future at the park. Especially in Coney Mall, which used to have more pavers than what it currently has. But remember as was stated earlier, pavers are a lot more labor intensive to install that typical asphalt or concrete. So don`t look for this to happen in a year or two. Slowly but surely, the park may transition completely away from asphalt and to only concrete or pavers.

If you think about it, pavers have to be laid and set brick by brick while concrete or asphault can be laid down and spread by a machine. When I worked at UC, the mason's had to set each brick by hand. While it looked good, it cost a fortune. Now if the park would do to the parking lot what the state/city did to Kings Island Drive. But then I would miss the pot holes that were custom designed since the park first open.

I believe that ACE members can participate in the Gold Pass Holder early ride time on Beast and Diamondback now, if they are not already a gold or platinum pass holder. DOn`t quote me on that, as I too ahve not been an ACE member for several, several years now.

QUOTED!

You're right, ACE members are eligible for ERT.

As for the stone, according to ACE SOAR, they're giving it away (you have to sign the guest book and include your ACE membership number to enter).