KI Music

Coney Islander

This is the place to share any ideas for music in any one of KI's themed areas.

I would love it if Coney Mall were to play classic Beatles songs... Maybe 50 of their greatest hits.

Edit- Or the new Beatles 'Love' album...

(If this is even possible) All of the original songs on the album are improved. The original song 'Lady Madonna' is one of my least favorite Beatles songs... The new version is one of my favorites.

This may be so oversimplified, but I feel that music would literally solve nearly every single problem with the park's "themeing." Honestly.

The pop songs that currently play? They're fine. It's honestly a good playlist of nice music (and far superior to Cedar Point's, where one might assume they simply google the words "summer" and "sun" and download any and all songs that come up). But leave it in Action Zone. That's where it belongs. Save the orchestral works (like I said in another thread, even things like

by Kelly Clarkson) for International Street.

For Oktoberfest, play the old Glockenspiel music! Even on a loop, who cares?! How long do people actually spend in Oktoberfest that they'd get annoyed? And it would be so pleasant to hear on the Outer Hanks deck or hanging around outside of Festhaus.

Leave Coney Mall with, as you said, classic pop-rock, or even just broadcast generic carousel-organ music throughout the area.

X-Base doesn't need music. I think it would be awesome to just hear occasional beeps like a radar circling and announcements (like what plays in Flight of Fear's outdoor queue) saying "Please report to hanger 18 immediately for employee inspection." "Code blue in hanger 18. All personnel please report to loading bay."

In Rivertown, you could literally just bring over the exact mix-CD that plays in line for Maverick - the generic, adventurous Western music. Does it fit perfectly? No. Is it better than Black Eyed Peas and Kelly Clarkson? You bet.

And, I've expressed time and time again how the rides can be saved by music. Turn up the music in Flight of Fear! It's synchronized to the ride even today, but you can only hear it start over for the next train when you're on the final breaks. Bring Kings Dominion's Tomb Raider music to our Crypt - it runs the same length as our Crypt ride, and would enhance the experience tenfold. Not to mention, they play the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider film score in their Congo area, and it would do wonders if it played in our Crypt's queue... Evidently, it's available for use, so why isn't it being used? For Backlot Stunt Coaster, I say play "Bad Boys." Like, the theme song from Cops. Honestly, what harm would it do? The cars have built-in speakers and I'm sure an audio selection could be added in a few minutes. Even generic cop-chase music (like something that might play in the background of a video game) would just add a fun element to the ride, and I'm sure its cheap if it's not covered by the parks music fees.

I would think completely differently of all three of those rides and all areas of the park if they just played the right music. It would be dirt cheap if not free. The only thing, as always, is that it takes someone getting off their butt and doing it. Not saying the people at Kings Island don't get off their butts, because they definitely do. It's just that re-configuring the park's music is hardly something that most people feel enthusiastic enough that they want to get off their butts.

Hey, great idea, Coney!

I'd love to hear upbeat orchestra on International Street. Like these:

The Valdres Marsch

Raiders March

Ok, the Raiders one is a little "PKI", but it'd be a nice throwback to that era.

Add a little Superman, some Top Gun, some Moon River...and I'm home again. And crying...

I miss that part of the park so very, very much.

Terp, I have a hard time believing you don't have some pull in the park... Have you mentioned your opinions to anyone of importance? I'm sure you have the connections, and the delivery, to really bring this to someone's attention.

Rivertown needs a mix of bluegrass and classic country, sort of like it used to have. I specifically recall hearing "Out Behind The Barn" by Little Jimmy Dickens in that section of the park back in 2005, and wouldn't mind hearing "Cincinnati, Ohio" by Connie Smith either. Anything to bring it back to that "old western town" feel that it used to have pre-Diamondback (and yes, that even means playing the country/bluegrass in the Diamondback queue - maybe show clips from the Grand Ole Opry on the TVs or something...).

Those Grand Ole Opry clips would require permission to use...and that permission would probably be far more costly than you think. Playing that same music without the video would be far less costly. Nuances...

I know the park would need permission to use those clips, but I figure it can't be that much more than what they're paying to air those music videos there. If it's too expensive, they could just show clips of DB instead, interspersed with facts, trivia, etc. relating to the ride.

Rivertown needs a mix of bluegrass and classic country, sort of like it used to have. I specifically recall hearing "Out Behind The Barn" by Little Jimmy Dickens in that section of the park back in 2005, and wouldn't mind hearing "Cincinnati, Ohio" by Connie Smith either. Anything to bring it back to that "old western town" feel that it used to have pre-Diamondback (and yes, that even means playing the country/bluegrass in the Diamondback queue - maybe show clips from the Grand Ole Opry on the TVs or something...).

Yes!

Maybe add some John Denver and Simon and Garfunkel into the mix.

^

Yeah, I get what you mean... For these two, the music will wither be too quiet to hear or too loud to pay attention to anything else.

One of these songs coming on your IPod can really scatter a conversation. Not to mention, a large number of people don't 'like' this kind of music.

At least its not the Black Eyed Peas. I don't hate the Black Eyed Peas, but their songs aren't ambient in any way and seriously don't fit in Kings Island... Just like blasting heavy metal and meditating at the same time.

Maybe John Denver, but Simon and Garfunkel wouldn't fit, as much as I like their music.

Some other artists who might work:

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (particularly some of their stuff from the 1970s, especially the Will The Circle Be Unbroken album)

Ricky Skaggs

Any artists from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack

This may be so oversimplified, but I feel that music would literally solve nearly every single problem with the park's "themeing." Honestly.

The pop songs that currently play? They're fine. It's honestly a good playlist of nice music (and far superior to Cedar Point's, where one might assume they simply google the words "summer" and "sun" and download any and all songs that come up). But leave it in Action Zone. That's where it belongs. Save the orchestral works (like I said in another thread, even things like

by Kelly Clarkson) for International Street.

For Oktoberfest, play the old Glockenspiel music! Even on a loop, who cares?! How long do people actually spend in Oktoberfest that they'd get annoyed? And it would be so pleasant to hear on the Outer Hanks deck or hanging around outside of Festhaus.

Leave Coney Mall with, as you said, classic pop-rock, or even just broadcast generic carousel-organ music throughout the area.

X-Base doesn't need music. I think it would be awesome to just hear occasional beeps like a radar circling and announcements (like what plays in Flight of Fear's outdoor queue) saying "Please report to hanger 18 immediately for employee inspection." "Code blue in hanger 18. All personnel please report to loading bay."

In Rivertown, you could literally just bring over the exact mix-CD that plays in line for Maverick - the generic, adventurous Western music. Does it fit perfectly? No. Is it better than Black Eyed Peas and Kelly Clarkson? You bet.

And, I've expressed time and time again how the rides can be saved by music. Turn up the music in Flight of Fear! It's synchronized to the ride even today, but you can only hear it start over for the next train when you're on the final breaks. Bring Kings Dominion's Tomb Raider music to our Crypt - it runs the same length as our Crypt ride, and would enhance the experience tenfold. Not to mention, they play the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider film score in their Congo area, and it would do wonders if it played in our Crypt's queue... Evidently, it's available for use, so why isn't it being used? For Backlot Stunt Coaster, I say play "Bad Boys." Like, the theme song from Cops. Honestly, what harm would it do? The cars have built-in speakers and I'm sure an audio selection could be added in a few minutes. Even generic cop-chase music (like something that might play in the background of a video game) would just add a fun element to the ride, and I'm sure its cheap if it's not covered by the parks music fees.

I would think completely differently of all three of those rides and all areas of the park if they just played the right music. It would be dirt cheap if not free. The only thing, as always, is that it takes someone getting off their butt and doing it. Not saying the people at Kings Island don't get off their butts, because they definitely do. It's just that re-configuring the park's music is hardly something that most people feel enthusiastic enough that they want to get off their butts.

Very well said.

I remember the music on International Street that was played in the later part of the evening in the '70's and 80's. It made me feel as if I need to hurry up and get another ride in, buy one more slice of fudge, and stop in one more shop. Then find a good place to watch the fireworks, perhaps near the fountain, maybe grab some pizza and watch it from one of the patio chairs. The music, combined with the mist from the fountains, and the fireworks made for a perfect ending to a very fun day. I guess that that mood has stayed with me, but the music set the tone and has left some good memories of KI.

How about some "modernized" classical music by Bond?

(based on Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5)

(based on "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana by Carls Orff)

Señorita (based on "Toreador Song" from Carmen by Georges Bizet)

(based on part of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake)

They've also done a lot of other great tunes that might work well on I-Street ("Viva!", "Victory", "Scorchio", "Explosive", "Shine", etc.)

I loved hearing

on International Street in the 80s...

It was the perfect tune to get you pumped up for a great day at KI...

I remember always hearing that song on The Ed Sullivan Show when that guy was doing the tricks with the plates.

I bout died when I heard Shimmy Shimmy ko-ko bop by Little Anthony and the Imperials in Planet Snoopy over the weekend. Been stuck in my head since.

I believe they're playing "Kidz Bop" songs or something similar in Planet Snoopy now - basically pop/rock tunes recorded by kids. Not the original versions.

No offense, but there isn't a whole lot of Peanuts music to begin with, and the only song that would really be recognized is "Linus and Lucy". You could maybe throw in the Royal Guardsmen's Snoopy tunes, but most kids wouldn't recognize those.