What was PKI's biggest mistake?

BoddaH1994

What do you guys think is the biggest mistake that the park ever made? This is just a curiosity thing. If you could go back in time and tell the park not to do something, what would it be?

Just to keep it fun, let's omit the King Cobra. I know a vast majority of us miss it, and we've state it a thousand times, so let's try to be creative.

Keep in mind:

You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to rides being removed.

Any aspect of business is viable (they shouldn't have gotten Subway, or whatever)

"Should have added a flying coaster in 94" will work, but let's limit the "should of's" when it comes to adding attractions

****Also, if someone says, for example "Shouldn't have gotten rid of The Bat" don't post with a lecture as to why they got rid of it. We're here to have fun, not for a physics lesson! :D

I mean, come on people! I'm doing these posts to help ease the off season blues, so let's have some fun with this! Be creative!

:rolleyes:

-Ryan

I wouls say The Bat. Only because of its cost and the little use out of it. Than tack on the matinance on it. Althow is sounds like a total loss, The Bat was studied and if you will, a "test tube" of roller coaster design. The Bat significantly changed the suspended roller coaster design forever.

I think changing the Adventure Village to the Action Zone was a mistake. I really like the Action Zone rides, but I just wish they had made a whole other part of the park for that. They could have beautifully themed Adventure Village if they wanted to.

I think AZ is well-themed with the Stunt Crew Grill and things like that, but I think we sacraficed a lot of "woodland" potential with that. It could have been like another Rivertown.

p.s. What ever happened to the daily AZ stunt show??

I agree with Fusiondude that getting rid of James Bond 007:A License to thrill was a small mistake. And I think that getting rid of Phantom Theater, which was unique to the universe, was a HUGE mistake! Also, getting rid of the Hanna-Barbera characters was a small mistake.

Have a great weekend!

Italian Chef :chef:

I wouls say The Bat. Only because of its cost and the little use out of it. Than tack on the matinance on it. Althow is sounds like a total loss, The Bat was studied and if you will, a "test tube" of roller coaster design. The Bat significantly changed the suspended roller coaster design forever.

Regarding The Bat, on the surface it would seem like it was a waste of money. Arrow and KI had a contract dealing with the proper operation of the ride, and it never lived up to the contract. Arrow virtually put in Vortex for free- Vortex was more expensive than The Bat, and KI paid the difference.

The biggest mistake would have to be SoB. This is a ride that was extremely hyped up, yet has not lived up to the hype. The design is poor, the ride is VERY rough (to date 2 people have broken their necks on the ride-one did have a bone disorder). Having the name "Beast" you would think it would be something like the original (tunnels, terrain coaster etc.). For $25 million you would think SoB would have the same type of reputation as Millenium Force at CP and be ranked as one of the best, if not the best, wooden coasters around, and the loop adds to the uniqueness of the ride. Yet when 99% of the people talk about the ride, it always starts out with talk of how rough the ride is, not the loop, size, speed or height.

Lets hope the off season will take care of some of the roughness.

i really miss the smurf ride (enchanted voyage). I think the smurfs are very loveable creatures. its a real shame that children today cannot enjoy the exting, entertaining ride that most of us once did...

I miss james bond AND days of thunder (my favorite movie)

I also think that the festhaus is not the same now... since they removed the ice show. i always thought that was nifty... specially the one where they had the motorcycle on the ice and played leader of the pack! The ice show was very unique to Kings Island, and its one more thing paramount decided we could do without....

thats it i guess... :cowboy:

They probaly took it out because of the money. The got have a zambomine, workers, the skaters, the cost to keep the ice cold enough

CP has an ice show, and is not owned by a company like Viacom. That is my biggest gripe about PKI. If they have all this money, where is it spent? It's not on the rides, not on the theming, not on the employees (or rides would NEVER be shut down due to lack of operators) and not on shows. Where does it all go?

Ummm...

Maybe they pay the bills.  It takes alot of money to run a theme park

Really? It takes money? Wow, I really didn't know that! :stupid: Perhaps you should read the thread before trying to be a smarta$$ :jerry:

The point is that PKI seems to be getting cheap and taking the easy way out. The park is nowhere close to being as clean as it once was. If other parks can have things like ice shows, clean parks, and themeing that operates, there is no reason PKI cannot and on top of that is owned by a successful international company. You even said it yourself in the "PKI's best move" thread, that it sounds like PKI has been getting cheap.

As a park enthusiast, I take my pseudo-relationship with the park seriously. At that, if you honestly think that the park is really messy, perhaps you could organize a bunch of people who feel the same way to write to the park and see if you get a response. It's much better than talking about it on here. We all hear you, some agree, some disagree, but you won't go far beyond that without contacting the park. I'm sure any suggestions the park gets are welcomed.

Thanks,

Ryan

As a park enthusiast, I take my pseudo-relationship with the park seriously. At that, if you honestly think that the park is really messy, perhaps you could organize a bunch of people who feel the same way to write to the park and see if you get a response.

I never said that it is really messy, or even trashed for that matter. But the way the park was back in the early '80's is something that could never be forgotten, because it was that clean.

But I will take your advice and inform the park. Thank-you!

I was at the park several times this summer and in no way do I think the park was messy or unkept.Actually I think the park is quite clean.Have you ever been to 6 Flaggs WOA what a dumppy messy un-organized park.A whole bunch of unhappy employees who have no knowledge or personallity.We didnt even recieve a thank you from any of the employees .For that reason I will never go back there and its only 2 hrs. from my house as Kings Island is 6 hrs.

I agree w/ you Specialk141; Days of Thunder was a sweet ride, too bad PKI got rid of it. I also enjoyed the ice shows in The Festhaus, but do you all remember they had a game show there for awhile that the audience members could participate in and you could win prizes. That was AWESOME, I always wanted to play, but never got the chance.

turtle, GAME ON was the name of the show.. and it was awesome! it was around for 2 seasons maybe? from what i heard they took it out because it was very expensive. giving away big expensive prizes like TV's and such every day was getting quite costly.

they used to roll a big colored dice to decide which group of the audience got to play. i always sat in the red section. one time i got to play the childs version where they just ask you a question. i answered right and got a free ice cream at the "sweet shop" by The Racer. ohhh how i miss GAME ON.... :(

I agree w/ you Specialk141; Days of Thunder was a sweet ride, too bad PKI got rid of it. I also enjoyed the ice shows in The Festhaus, but do you all remember they had a game show there for awhile that the audience members could participate in and you could win prizes. That was AWESOME, I always wanted to play, but never got the chance.

Actually, if you look closely, the stage is still there in the Festhaus. It's just covered up.

I forgot about the ice show...that was my grandma's favorite part about going...she went weekly until she was 77. Talking about dedication, she went to Coney too before Kings Island was ever thought about. She bought passes for all the grandkids and we all have a thing for the park. I agree with the characters walking around the park...we loved Captin Caveman! Whoever played him in the summer of 89' was a friggen riot! So here is my list FWIW:

* The picnic grove-wow a family didn't have to apply for a loan to eat!

* The shows...I loved participating in them and the ice show was the greatest.

* Removal of King Cobra....urrr....that's all I can say.

* Slowing down of the coasters...Brakes are nice, but come on!

* The Ferris Wheel I can't say why, but I miss this.

* Good pizza with lots of cheese.

* The Footprints leading up to The Beast...who didn't try to follow on them?

* Race cars(like the old time cars) in kiddie land.

* Smurfland removal, then Phantom Theatre was cool, but Scooby Doo's Adventure is CHEAP looking! At least the could have lasers so you could aim your gun.

*Winterfest...

*Nice books when entering the park...

That is all I can think of right now...this is just my .02 so don't get all fired up.

Well, Festhaus has part of the stage left... the one behind the center screen. The main stage used to be in the area that was under the screens. That stage has been gone for years. I don't care if they bring that back or not, but what they really need to work on in Festhaus is the projectors for the screens, they are just too dark and you can barely see them.

Also, I think the park should go for more themeing, something more elaborate for each part of the park that would make it even more unique. Bring back individual uniforms for each area and stuff. Yeah, that would make it hard for the employees that "float" but as long as the float in the same area, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I HATE SOB. That was the worst excuse of a roller coaster. I could care less how much they say they are going to work on it, it will still suck. I'm never riding it again and I think people that would wait any amount of time for that ride should just go ride something else.

I think the park needs to do more for the lines as well. The Vortex line for example is a pain to watch over b/c there is so much line jumping over that little fence. The entrances of the lines need something more to block them off during closing so that people don't just walk around a garbage can to get into line. I kick so many people out of ride line after it has been shut down for the evening and the ride line blocked and they end up in the station anyway. Tuff luck! The ride line was closed, get out!