How much longer will KI's coasters/major rides last?

McSalsa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Some of my most favorite parks are in New Jersey and California, and I don't live close to either. And, I, too, may someday (perhaps soon) leave the Midwest...for the same reason a lot of others have, a partly economic but mostly career enhancing move...that is, if I ever decide what I want to be when/if I grow up and if I am fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity. Over the years, my careers have caused me to move twice...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

What's funny is, in this topic nobody's talked about kid's rides. Who knows, Woodstock Express could easily be gone within the next thirty years. It's getting old and rickety (of course, aren't all wooden coasters?)

I don't think Woodstock Express will leave anytime soon. It's a kid favorite, and unlike adult rides kid rides don't get bigger and better.

Also, it looks almost new with the new paint job.

Wooden coasters have a far longer life span than the typical steel coaster. Over time, virtually every part of a wood coaster can be, and is, replaced. Often several times. From controls to the track to structure like ledgers, frequent replacement is the rule. Some have said a steel coaster is a relationship but a wood coaster is a marriage.

Wouldn`t you think that some of the track in the station, where the wood is generally protected, and the trains traveling at low speeds could still be original? Granted, when Racer originally opened, it had old skid brakes.

On the other hand, a certain racing coaster down in the Carolinas is slowly being completely rebuilt, after they decided to strip its protective paint coating. What a costly mistake that turned out to be. The ride was originally painted for a reason.

There were those of us who were stunned when they stripped the paint off that coaster...and figured we knew what would happen next. Sadly, we were right. It should be pointed out that there is a wooden coaster at Kings Island in dire need of painting sometime soon...though some things have led to that being put off in the past, the time is coming when it must be done...to protect the wood itself, which is not of the modern pressure-treated variety.

Also, I wouldn't be Terpy if I didn't point out that when Racer opened, it had new skid brakes.

There were those of us who were stunned when they stripped the paint off that coaster...and figured we knew what would happen next. Sadly, we were right. It should be pointed out that there is a wooden coaster at Kings Island in dire need of painting sometime soon...though some things have led to that being put off in the past, the time is coming when it must be done...to protect the wood itself, which is not of the modern pressure-treated variety.

Also, I wouldn't be Terpy if I didn't point out that when Racer opened, it had new skid brakes.

And new buzz bars and new air time hills that made small children fear that they were going to fly out and die. And at least one of those small children still rides the present day version of that ride and almost wants to cry when his children don't leave the park with bruises like he did back then and like we all do today at Holiday World! :)

Why will you be leaving Ohio? I`m amazed at the amount of people who were classmates of mine in DAAP who could not WAIT to get out of Cincinnati and Ohio. Simply amazes me, because I love Cincinnati and Ohio.

Job is leaving, but then again I could always drop my job, to work at Kings Island....