Best Cedar Fair Park?

Pillsberry123

I definitely am not on the "Kings Dominion is great" bandwagon, though I do find it to be the best of the Cedar Fair parks I've visited. I have not been since Intimidator 305 and to me, it wouldn't change my high opinion of the park if it were the best or worst roller coaster I'd ridden. Kings Dominion is beautifully landscaped, has an incredible collection of rides, an unbelievable location and setting, and is just an all-around great park.

I do have memories of it being considered (to quote others here) "ghetto" from when I visited as a child... But if that was the case, they certainly turned it around before my trips last year. In my opinion, Kings Dominion (especially coupled with Busch Gardens) is absolutely a destination park, and in many ways features all of the things that Kings Island once held dear: superior landscaping, attention-to-detail, themed rides, water effects, flame effects, appropriate music, and immersive themed areas.

That being said, I have never been to Canada's Wonderland, though it's certainly on my list!

Even last year people kept up the "ghetto" Kings Dominion image, while I visited and posted a trip report, unable to say enough of the park's beauty and grandeur. Back then to degrade the park was the popular thing. Now, it's popular to exalt it. But I've maintained from the beginning that it's an incredible park, and if you don't believe me, visit it. Volcano. Grizzly. Flight of Fear. Backlot Stunt Coaster. The Crypt. Drop Tower. Boo Blasters. Dominator. Avalanche. Shockwave. Rebel Yell... Even Anaconda and Hurler are experiences! Not to be missed.

I have a question. It seems that last year, everyone was saying, "Oh, Kings Dominion is just a ghetto Kings Island, but still good."

Why is everyone going crazy over KD nowadays?

Because of Intimidator 305.

ugh. and if one coaster is enough... but sadly that is the main reason... I don't get the hype of KD, its kinda like all the crappy parts of KI all at once and all rolled together...

I have a question. It seems that last year, everyone was saying, "Oh, Kings Dominion is just a ghetto Kings Island, but still good."

Why is everyone going crazy over KD nowadays?

It's a form of band wagoning in my mind. KD was, and still is in my mind a piece o' dung with a great coaster plopped in the middle(actually, more towards the right). I would like to define this as: Coasternaticbandowagonism if I may. :P

All in good fun people.

ROFL i literally lol'ed on this one. But its SOOO true...

In my opinion, Kings Dominion (especially coupled with Busch Gardens) is absolutely a destination park, and in many ways features all of the things that Kings Island once held dear: superior landscaping, attention-to-detail, themed rides, water effects, flame effects, appropriate music, and immersive themed areas.

That being said, I have never been to Canada's Wonderland, though it's certainly on my list!

Even last year people kept up the "ghetto" Kings Dominion image, while I visited and posted a trip report, unable to say enough of the park's beauty and grandeur. Back then to degrade the park was the popular thing. Now, it's popular to exalt it. But I've maintained from the beginning that it's an incredible park, and if you don't believe me, visit it. Volcano. Grizzly. Flight of Fear. Backlot Stunt Coaster. The Crypt. Drop Tower. Boo Blasters. Dominator. Avalanche. Shockwave. Rebel Yell... Even Anaconda and Hurler are experiences! Not to be missed.

emphasis added... but i'm totally disagreeing with your last sentence O:) but i'm sure you knew that was coming... they're an experience alright, But i will totally give it to Volcano and Avalance, and heck even Dominator maybe

But I definately put my vote to Carowinds (As much as Jackson hates me for it lol) The people are amazing, its gorgeous and well themed albeit the ride names could contain the word "Carolina" a little less. I honestly can't think of a single moment that i was there and had any type of "bad experience" Whoops brain fart. minus the whole lap bar not being put down on the mine ride, but when i look back on it how many ppl have had a truly "thrilling" ride on their rinky dink mine ride haha. That and they have one thing that KI doesn't have... a B&M invert *swoon* But i have not been to Knotts or Canada's Wonderland, so this may be premature, but I'm hitting CW over the 4th of July weekend, and Knotts has to wait until October, for reasons known O:) hopefully

Guest Millennium

Cedar Point by miles. Say what you want, but Raptor, Magnum, Millennium, Maverick, and TTD are an unbelievable combination of coasters. Plus personal favorites like Blue Streak and Wicked Twister add to the great number of coasters CP has. I also love the atmosphere. For me, the perfect vacation is riding slides at Kalahari then driving over to CP for CoasterMania. LOL!

On a darker note, I hope you all can stop saying "ghetto", because to my race it is found very offensive...

Kings Dominion is beautifully landscaped, has an incredible collection of rides, an unbelievable location and setting, and is just an all-around great park.

Beautifully landscaped: Sure it is, but not even close to Busch Gardens.

Unbelievable location and setting: Wait, are you serious? It's in the middle of hot, humid Virginia. There really isn't anything unbelievable about the setting or location at all.

But I've maintained from the beginning that it's an incredible park, and if you don't believe me, visit it. Volcano. Grizzly. Flight of Fear. Backlot Stunt Coaster. The Crypt. Drop Tower. Boo Blasters. Dominator. Avalanche. Shockwave. Rebel Yell... Even Anaconda and Hurler are experiences! Not to be missed.

I'm sorry I just really can't see how you can praise these rides. Their FOF is rough and a lot of the theming has been stripped from it. Avalanche is fun for a family ride but horribly short and forceless. Shockwave or Anaconda? Ouch, enough said. Rebel Yell, is just not really fun at all. If they had made it similar to Blue Streak with epic airtime or like Racer with an ample amount it would've been pretty good, but unfortunately they didn't.

I don't mean to bash your opinion or anything, I just think that you're exaggerating.

Guest Millennium

The grass is always greener. I personally think KD is a bit-run down (NOT GHETTO) and has a couple good rides, like Dominator and Volcano...but calling Rebel Yell, Shockwave, Anaconda better than what we have at KI? Um...yeah.

from dictionary.com:

ghet·to

  speaker.gif /ˈgɛtthinsp.pngoʊ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[get-oh] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA –noun, plural -tos, -toes. 1. a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ghetto

nowhere does that refer directly to a single race. :)

Guest Millennium

from dictionary.com:

ghet·to

  speaker.gif /ˈgɛtthinsp.pngoʊ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[get-oh] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA –noun, plural -tos, -toes. 1. a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.

http://dictionary.re...m/browse/ghetto

nowhere does that refer directly to a single race. :)

So I'm SURE all of you were talking about everyone, right? Yeah...just lie and say you did.

^you can look at all of my post, and as far as i can remember i am the last person you will ever see use something that is derogatory to one single set of people, i usually find myself pointing out people when they use stereotypes, all i did was post the true definition of the word "ghetto" which just refers to a "run-down" area.

nowhere in this thread did anyone directly link the word "ghetto" to any one ethnic group and in all honesty it seems like you are the only one with the problem with "ghetto" being used.[/mini-rant]

• 4 years later...
Guest dtk1376

The poll is for all Cedar Fair parks, except Cedar Point & Kings Island. Noted in the initial post due to the fact that it would be obvious one of those two would win, pretty good idea in my opinion.

• Like 3

Id have to say Kings Dominion on this one. I visited for the first time last year, and the park is beautifully laid out and landscaped. They also have an excellent selection of coasters. Dominator being near and dear to my heart was my first and favorite floorless coaster when it was Batman Knight Flight here in Ohio, and it still runs like a dream! I305 is just unbelievable! Not to mention Volcano. They also have a great selection of flat rides along with a large new Planet Snoopy area. I would say Canada's Wonderland, but the only ride that sticks out to me is Leviathan. Imho, i think Diamondback is much better than Behemoth. It's still a great ride, i just think Diamondback is laid out much better, and gives a much better night ride. Besides those two, Kings Island and Cedar Point, the only other Cedar Fair park i have been to is Dorney Park, which is an excellent park for its location, but not the best in the chain. They make excellent use of the terrain there, and they have a great line up of rides. Hydra is by far the most unique floorless coaster ive ridden. It doesnt have your traditional B&M Floorless coaster layout. Im visiting Knotts next month, and have been told while its a smaller park, its still a very unique park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The only other CF parks I have been to other than KI and CP are KD (once 16 years ago ) and Dorney Park. ( Once 2 years ago. ) I remember KD being a really pretty park with nice theming, especially the old Virginia section. However it gets very hot and humid down there in August-I remember we spent a lot of time at the water park. Loved Dorney Park also especially the old flat rides like The Whip and Wild Mouse. The park is very hilly ( being in PA ) and it could get tiring walking around the park. The burgers at Dorney were out of this world and the food prices very reasonable.

I went to Dorney Park on crutches........ it SUCKED! But i loved their rides! :P

• Like 1

Kings Island obviously.

/thread

It always helps to read the thread before replying. Which you didn't.

The best park in the Cedar Fair chain not named Kings Island or Cedar Point is NOT Kings Island.

Well it appears I skipped over the fine print. (An Abbr. in parentheses)

I did start reading some of the responses and thought: "Wow! All these Kings Island traitors!"

Of the Cedar Fair owned parks that I have been to, I will say that Kings Island is the best.

Carowinds was closed. I have driven past CGA when it was open (weekends), but my flight left too early for me to stop by.

Or he got cold (big) feet?

You don't know me very well if you think that fear (of inspected, permanently installed amusement rides) or cold temperatures could stop me.

Big feet? Have you seen me at Kings Island without introducing yourself?

• Like 2

You posted your shoe size in a thread before..

I have seen you at Kings Island before, twice I believe. If it makes you feel better I didn't follow you or try to ride the same ride as you or anything.

Because you have pictures of yourself on this forum, thus allowing me to recognize you, do you feel I am I required to introduce myself to you while I am on my personal excursion?