I am going to Holiday World Monday June 7th. Any advice or tips for my first trip to the park?

My plan is to drive to Hw on monday, then drive part of the way back and find a hotel room(park closes at 7:30 DARN) Then to KI on tuesday.

Question, any attractions besides the obvious coasters that I should make sure to visit at Holiday World? Also- any restaurants near the park to visit, in order to save a few dollars before and after our park visit?

Any comments/and or advice would be appreciated.

I'm from southern Ohio, so i'm 2 1/2 to 3 hrs from KI. According to mapquest, I am about 5 hrs from Holiday World. I also know that it is in a different time zone than ours, so i'll gain and hour. Anyone going on this day, I can meet up and say hi. (always enjoy talking to coaster junkies like myself)smile.gif

Holiday World is such a great park, you will have a blast! The 3 coasters are all musts and I have always enjoyed the Liberty Launch and Gobbler Getaway as well. The flats collection isn't overly impressive but that is more then made up for by the coasters and Splashin' Safari (the water park). If you are spending some time in Splashin' Safari then Zoombabwe, Zinga, Bakuli, and I am assuming Wildebeest are all must rides. It is an incredibly clean park with a very very professional and polite staff. Also, food prices at Holiday World are fairly reasonable and don't forget that the drinks are included with your ticket into the park! I hope you have a great time!

Holiday World food is not expensive and is actually quite good, especially the fudge. That being said, over in Dale there is a wonderful cafe by the name of Windell's:

http://www.psci.net/windells/

I recommend it highly.

Further south, in Owensboro, Kentucky is the one, the only, the rightly famous and delightful Moonlite BBQ:

http://www.moonlite.com/

The buffet there is NOT to be missed. It is a good 45 minutes from the park, though.

Bring an empty Pepsi can with you to the admission booth. You will get $7 off your ticket.

Raven is their small wooden coaster. It's a bit short, but it has great speed and a nice surprise second drop that IMO is better than the first one. Don't take your cell phone out in the station, or they will take it from you and put it in a locker.

Legend is a great wooden coaster with lots of lateral Gs. Ride on the left side for the full effect. Be prepared to have a PTC train imprint on your left side. LOL

Voyage is their star wooden coaster. It's the #1 woodie in the world.. ride it and see why. It will blow your mind.

If you enjoy rides like Boo Blasters, go to Gobbler Getaway over by Voyage. There is also a tilt-a-whirl called Turkey Whirl. I'm not fond of tilt-a-whirls, but Tom is, and he loves that ride.

Liberty Launch is a short but extremely fun S&S double shot that gives such a great pop of air that your shoulders will hit the restraint.

If you like water rides, hit Pilgrims Plunge if it's running.. it's the world's tallest water ride. I get drenched every time.

Splashin' Safari is a fantastic water park.. definitely bring bathing suits, towels, flip flops, etc. And there is free SPF 30 sunscreen available to you in the park!

The bumper cars are pretty awesome.

DO NOT leave without going to Mrs. Klaus' Kitchen and getting some fudge. They also have caramel apples, cookies, Christmas ornaments, it's a place not to miss if you have a sweet tooth.

A certain violakat03 and I also love funnel cakes from the Funnel Cake Factory. XD

The pizza at Kringle's Cafe is great. I hear Plymouth Rock Cafe has some fantastic food.. they serve Thanksgiving dinner every day. I haven't eaten there yet, but I plan to.

Don't worry about saving money in the park, they worry about that for you. Their food prices are far more reasonable than most other parks.

If you wear cargo pockets regularly to parks, I suggest you do. Their wooden coasters are nothing short of intense, and you WILL lose your loose articles. Make sure everything is secure before you ride any of their coasters.

They have Eagles Flight (flying eagles) too, but don't try to snap them or the ride ops will yell at you.

One mile away from HW is a place called Santa's Candy Castle. They have frozen hot chocolate, gourmet candy canes, etc., and they stay open an hour after HW closes. I haven't been there yet as Tom and I got lost along with 2 other KICers lol, but I plan to go.

I'd tell you to have fun on your first trip to HW, but that's a given. You may want to end up staying there for a second day instead of going to KI.. trust me, if you don't fall in love with that park, I don't know what's wrong with you. :)