Free Drinks at CF parks?

Colonel_SoB_fan

If Carowinds charges $2.49 for a souvenir cup refill...

And $4.49 for a slice of pizza half the size of a typical slice of LaRosa's...

and yet Cedar Point charges $1.25 for a candy bar from a machine...the same one being $2 at Kings Island....

It would stand to reason that perhaps in park pricing is more controlled by the local park at Cedar Fair than first I thought...

If Carowinds charges $2.49 for a souvenir cup refill...

And $4.49 for a slice of pizza half the size of a typical slice of LaRosa's...

and yet Cedar Point charges $1.25 for a candy bar from a machine...the same one being $2 at Kings Island....

It would stand to reason that perhaps in park pricing is more controlled by the local park at Cedar Fair than first I thought...

did paramount have consistent pricing for food/drinks among its parks?

Pretty much. Not totally, but the prices at the US Paramount Parks were far more consistent than those seen under Cedar Fair. Six Flags parks have far more uniform pricing, as well...or have until this year...except for parking. Parking is all over the map at Six Flags....with $15 being about the minimum to park for a day now that Kentucky Kingdom is closed.

Which is a relative bargain, considering.

I wonder why it seems the food prices are left up to the individual parks. It makes sense to a degree, since the individual park is likely to know its market the best. (Although the $13 I spent on a Coke and two slices of pizza at Carowinds opening weekend was NOT worth it). And I still maintain my sentiments earlier that if they were to lower the prices on some items, overall revenue would increase even though profit margins would be down. The increased revenue would compensate. Not to mention the guests would feel more apt to buy stuff and not like they were just sent to the cleaners for every nickle and dime they had. I have to wonder when per caps will suffer because of the ever increasing food prices.

And for those wondering, Coney does NOT offer free cups of ice water. That will set you back ten nickles at Coney! Fortunately, I get free water since I work there. And when I`m on break, I get soft drinks for the same amount!

But there are water fountains, right?

At a certain park in West Virginia, the only working water fountain was removed last year. Free ice water is available in the cafeteria, but:

* only when it is open.

* only after you have waited in the line after the food customers.

* and only if you know it.

On the subject of ice water, I learned two things about it at KI this past Saturday:

1. If the stand you go to is out of the small cups, they will tell you to go to a different stand

2. The candy store on I-Street no longer gives out large cups of ice water like they did last season

If Universal Studios Florida can offer drinks at $.79 for a refill in a special cup. If Busch Gardens Tampa offers $.99 refills in their sport quarts, then Cedar Fair can do the same thing.

Yes, but have you noticed how high admission prices are at those parks?

Some parks make their revenue off tickets and season passes, and charge little to nothing for food/drinks (example: Holiday World)

Some parks make their revenue off of food/drinks, and keep ticket and season pass prices affordable (example: KI).

What I would like to know is:

What difference does it make what price we are paying if it all balances out in the end?

We are complaining about a $4 bottle of water at a park that offers low admission..

yet we do not hesitate to pay a couple to several hundred dollars for on-site hotels, parking, and admission to a park that offers other things "for free."

To me, this sounds like some of you are choosing to ignore business logic, and merely digging for a reason to complain. You're either going to pay a high admission price, or a high food/drink price. If you don't like how a business markets their product in order to effectively make productive sales, then it's easy: don't go.

I'm not saying I agree with some of the pricing, but the reality here is that amusement parks are businesses, and they need to make revenue off of something, or they will go bankrupt.. or close their doors temporarily, if not forever.

Actually if you're looking to use HW as an example, their general admission is $7 less than KI's...

Although Holiday world has four amazing coasters, Kings Island as about triple that. KI offers a lot more selection. The price is gonna be more.

Actually if you're looking to use HW as an example, their general admission is $7 less than KI's...

Not when a regularly priced HW season pass is $149.95.

Well since you brought season passes into the mix keep in mind Universal Studious annual passes (12 months) run $139.00 and Florida residents receive huge gate discounts. $139 for a year at Universal with all their special events and concerts blows every season/annual park pass away from all the parks I know of including Disney.

For those interested in my 2 cents worth on this topic

I own a small business here in Indianapolis and go into the smallest struggling business to the upscale corporate and a diverse types of business as well. Because of this I get a pretty good handle on the mood of the daily water cooler topic. In the past couple weeks I have had more conversations about people wanting to take their family to a amusement park this year and the three parks in play around here are CP, KI, HW. Cedar Points biggest hurdle around here is the distance and unless they are up for a overnight excursion so CP is quickly eliminated around here. Kings Island is highly touted for their rides and shows, but their high prices for food has been noticed and always enters the conversation. Holiday World is always brought into the conversation because of the free parking and drinks then they follow that up with "it is a good decent park and the water park is great". It seems to me that attendance will be up for all parks from the conversations I have had but here in Indianapolis it seems Holiday World is winning out as it seems most think that Holiday World is cheaper, so you see perception is key. KI has jacked their prices up so much and long that many are shying away while HW is gunning for we are a bargain. I mean think about a dad with two children wanting a treat from a food stand, a dad never wants to say "no its to expensive" or "you will need to share" when he his trying to be the hero and not look cheap. I do add in on the conversations with the ones I know about that in truth all the parks offer an exceptional value for what they get for the day and that in the end it will cost about the same. I also add that they should look at what their family enjoys in a park to make their decision. If they like live shows and lots of thrill rides then they should go to KI if they like a smaller mix of rides and shows but love water parks then Holiday World is a definite. My family just loves water parks and we are bored with Kings Island water park I am not saying it is bad because it is decent but little has been added so we are bored there now. I struggle with the food prices at Kings Island but take comfort on the gold deals but we just love the high thrills we get from the KI rides and adore the live shows. So with all that said my home park is and always will be Kings Island. Nothing ever remains the same and I know that the pendulum only swings so far and from the comments that I have heard from Kings Island guests they are shying away from KI because of the misconception of the overall cost of a visit to based on food prices versus other similar parks. Once KI figures this out I think their prices will drop which will increase at least my families visits.

Just because Holiday World does it doesn't mean it'll work for the large chains. HW has a lot less overhead - no corporate salaries, no "sister" parks to share profits with, no big-wig executives to pay...

Plus, considering that they're in the middle of nowhere and advertising opportunities are limited in that part of the country, I'm sure Pepsi is quite happy for the advertising, especially since RC is a competitor in that area (they have a bottling plant in Evansville).

While they are in the middle of no where, the Evansville In Owensboro, KY market does reach a large number of potential advertisers and there are powerful radio stations that reach the majority of the region around Holiday World. The radio station I used to work for, WSTO, is a 100,000 watt station and can be heard as far south as Tenn, East to Louisville, West to Cape Girardeau and North to Vincennes (actually a bit further north.) It is probably HW's #1 advertiser and for the TSA reaches a majority of radio listeners. Add in WBKR, WIKY, WKDQ, and even WQXQ there is a lot of area and population covered by the local media there. Not to mention the new market opened up with the closing of Ky Kingdom and Holiday World does have at least some billboards up in Louisville.

I should add that I have seen several of the shows at Holiday World and am VERY impressed. Vinyl Daze, in particular, is far superior to most offerings by parks HW's size, and in fact is far better than most shows offered in states other than TX, FL and CA. There is NO lip synching, the songs and dancing are VERY well done, and the audience was greatly appreciative. Small children danced along, and the park was well pleased.

I should add that I have seen several of the shows at Holiday World and am VERY impressed. Vinyl Daze, in particular, is far superior to most offerings by parks HW's size, and in fact is far better than most shows offered in states other than TX, FL and CA. There is NO lip synching, the songs and dancing are VERY well done, and the audience was greatly appreciative. Small children danced along, and the park was well pleased.

I really need to visit HW. Anyone up for making a trip maybe in July?

I really need to visit HW. Anyone up for making a trip maybe in July?

I am interested in meeting up. I have to renew my AAA, as well as replacing the halfshaft on my Scooby. After the Honda collapsed from that last December, I don't want to risk a lengthy road trip until that is done. But yes, that park is well worth visiting. It is very common to see management there interacting with the guests-Mr. Koch was greeting us as we returned to the station on Pilgrim's Plunge, and I saw Ms. Koch several times during the day, and each time she greeted our party.

I guess the point I was trying to make was these parks are in a seperate league, in a way.

You're all right. I was just pretty much trying to say that whatever isn't considered cheap to some people is going to be their reason to complain.

If park admission is low and food prices are high, people will complain about food prices when that is how the park makes its money.

If food prices are low and admission prices are high, people will complain about admission prices when that is how the park makes its money.

I find it hilarious how everyone always wants a park to build the next big landmark coaster, yet they flat out refuse to spend money in the park and start bellyaching when all that is built is a water ride or even nothing at all.

Either people honestly don't understand marketing strategy, or they choose to ignore it and use that as a reason to complain.

I do add in on the conversations with the ones I know about that in truth all the parks offer an exceptional value for what they get for the day and that in the end it will cost about the same.

While the cost of a day at Kings Island or any amusement park can be significant (gas, parking, admission, food/drinks, etc...), I totally agree that the value received is also good in most cases. Entertainment is expensive, but if you visit a park as often as many season pass holder enthusiasts do, the value can be incredible when you really think about it. An almost absurd example

• If you assume Gary Coleman paid ~$160 total for Gold passes in '09 and '10
  • With 2000 Diamondback rides, he is now at 8 cents a ride. Not bad at all.

yet they flat out refuse to spend money in the park

There are many interesting dynamics associated with spending money in the park on extra's. It is a difficult situation for the park as the season pass holder enthusiasts who visit so often are also less likely to spend $ on any given trip than the family of four from Knoxville making their only trip (this is my guess). I also don't believe that most pass holders can afford to buy a meal at the park on every trip, allthough I think most of us do buy a meal (or even two) when visiting a new park that we'll only spend a day at. I actually try to plan trips when I will stay for a meal, especially now that the park is working to accommodate special dietary needs more.

We bought the wristband last year (just one) and only used it once. It was very difficult to find a stand to honor it. I think we could only get it honored in Action Zone, if memory serves me right. Anyways, water is the better option when it's hot outside. At the beginning of each season, we buy a couple of souvenir cups and lug them with us each visit. We always have a backpack, so it's nothing major to carry around a few cups. I also buy the Hawaiian Punch drink pouches ($1 for 12?) and bring them with us. Every stand or restaurant we've visited have filled our cups with ice water (with no hassle..perhaps because we are usually buying food at the time) and then we put a few drink pouches in. If we don't want to wait in line, there are water fountains all over. With a family of 5, someone is always thirsty, so it works for us.

The water fountains have chilled water, too...unlike many of them at Cedar Point.

At least there are water fountains. Camden Park removed their only one late last season. It has not been replaced. The cafeteria (and ONLY the cafeteria) gives out free ice water, but:

* There is often a short but very slow moving line, and

* The cafeteria often closes long before the park does.

Worse, the ice cream stand, right across from where the water fountain was (and it was not chilled nor particularly appealing), has a sign in the window facing what was the fountain:

ICE COLD BOTTLED WATER

Did I mention that that stand, too, is not always open?