New Trims on I305

What makes this coaster so bad? I know the video cannot tell the whole story. Manhattan Express doesn't look too bad. It looks like a hyper coaster, then moves to a looping coaster, is this correct?

This is just my opinion, but I think the Bunny Hills(camel back) on Magnum XL 200 is rough. This may be of my tall frame(i'm 6-5) I have to hold up on the lapbar as we travel over the bunny hills or its too uncomfortable. If you are a (normal) height, it may not be as bad, but I'm not as lucky being a giant(LOL)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rcfreak339

Yes we indeed are, though it was recently renamed to just "Roller Coaster". What makes the ride so bad? It's a mixture of many things, horrible transitions, horrible restraints and horrid "shuffleing". The transition into the dive loop was the worst experience Iv'e ever had on a coaster. My head snapped back popping it in a million places and hitting my head hard on the back seat. The best thing on the ride is probably a little 20 m.p.h. bunny hop. Seriously.

Check out this nice POV by Robb Alvey to show just how bad it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ky1eDX7PmA

Trust me, once you ride Roller Coaster every other coaster seems smooth as glass.

The whole part at the end is just mounted on steel supports, mounted on the building. They make for terrible shaking and transitions. You also hit that first loop/diving loop way too fast.

yea the ride doesnt look too fun.... I cant tell if the guy cursing on the video is doing it because its a reaction or because he is trying to make a presentation for his video, or it could be both.... but when a roller coaster makes clunking sounds going through different transitions.... yeah thats not good

Oh please...Roller Coaster is not THAT bad. You want bad? Try Mean Streak in the back seat, then tell me if Roller Coaster is bad or not.

Yes. Manhattan Express is worse than Mean Streak regardless of seat location.

Oh please...Roller Coaster is not THAT bad. You want bad? Try Mean Streak in the back seat, then tell me if Roller Coaster is bad or not.

Yes, to me, the Roller Coaster at New York New York IS that bad. I'd gladly pay to NOT ride it.

I disagree but whatever we all have our own opinions.

Lets stay on topic please. Which is the reason I posted the video above. I305 has NOT recived a trim. So calm down people.

Please leave the moderating to the moderators. Thanks.

From what I have heard, while there were rampant rumors that it had received a trim, it appears there is no trim in place. Yet. Will there be one? Who knows.

The trim looks to be official from kdfansite.com:

alright guys, just got off and it has a trim going all the way down the first drop on the left side. The trim in my opinion slows the train down below 90MpH. No black or gray out. Second hill is a lot slower. Not ejector air but now it's flooter air.

good part the rest of the ride is nice. No head choping and the transitions are not as violent.

I wonder why they did not install those soft strap OTSR in the first place on Intimidator 305`s trains? Seems like it would make the ride more enjoyable, trims or no trims. I mean, I really like the vest restraints on Carolina Cobra at Carowinds. These soft strap restraints seem similar.

A close personal friend just got off the phone with me. He confirms there are trims all the way down the first drop of I305 now. He also says he believes the ride is now far more comfortable and that most guests don't notice the brakes....happy, cheering crowds are now emerging from each train...which would be wildly different from the reactions I observed from most non-enthusiasts when I rode the ride in April...

Quoth Robb Alvey:

I just want to go on record to say that I'm sure a trimmed I305 is still better than most all other roller coasters in the world.

I haven't been on it, but from what I've heard, I'm sure it's true.

I have also heard/read from several riders that the trims on the first drop improve the overall ride experience - I'll have to take their word for it.

My question is about the type of trim being used. It has been stated it is all the way down the first drop? If so, this gives me hope that what I'd like to see in the future is possible - a style of trims that meets the needs of the parks (reliable reduction of speed for safety and maintainability reasons), like the magnetic trims do today, while not "grabbing" too hard and negatively impacting the pacing and flow of a ride, similar to how the old skid style brakes seemed to.

dsc02317.jpg

From ThemeParkReview.

Yes, that gives me the impression that they don't grab or pull, but are just a natural pacer for the train. Sounds absolutely fine to me. The people who are saying "It's ruined!" "It's neutered!" etc. probably have not ridden it since the trims were added.

Plus, they reduced the trims on the airtime hill towards the end, and people say that's making the ending feel more fast-paced and enjoyable. In other words, the beginning's a bit slower, and the end's a bit faster, so the ride is actually well-paced. Before, you were going so fast in the beginning you were blacking out and then you hit the trims towards the end and felt a huge drag, sort of "meandering" through the end of the layout rather than racing.

I would've liked to ride it before they added it just to try it out, but I have no qualms about the added brakes. Truly.