New Trims on I305

Well, this single panel is the mid-course trims now:

dsc02325.jpg

(Again from Theme Park Review - see my last post for link)

Just watching the

it looks to me that there were originally three fins. Now there appears to be one. So if you're asking my opinion, yes it looks as if some have been removed. Really, it makes sense - if they trimmed the ride from the start, then used the same trims mid-way through, the ride would be traveling WAY more slowly than anticipated by the end. To add breaks somewhere, they really have to remove them elsewhere to keep the ride at a steady pace.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or perhaps you give them too much credit. Given the parks' credit situation, perhaps the midcourse trims were moved in part to the first drop...and just because there is only one panel at the midcourse now does not mean it will stay that way forevermore.

I know someone who needs to get back to Kings Dominion (and who wonders if his pass will work now, or if he will still end up with a ticket from Michigan's Adventure...).

Why is it that the powers that be at CF continue to get a tingly feeling every time they hear the word "trim brake"? From what I've read the ride has been completely "meanstreaked." I, for one, am changing my summer vacation plans to avoid yet another overly trimmed CF ride geared toward the wussified (if that's a word)members of society. And, Mr. Kinzel, I will be contacting the owners of Dale Earnhardt's image and urging them to cancel the licensing agreement that permits the park to associate this disgrace with the memory of Mr. Earnhardt.

Why is it that the powers that be at CF continue to get a tingly feeling every time they hear the word "trim brake"? From what I've read the ride has been completely "meanstreaked." I, for one, am changing my summer vacation plans to avoid yet another overly trimmed CF ride geared toward the wussified (if that's a word)members of society. And, Mr. Kinzel, I will be contacting the owners of Dale Earnhardt's image and urging them to cancel the licensing agreement that permits the park to associate this disgrace with the memory of Mr. Earnhardt.

My goodness, fiesty aren't we!! Same disgrace happens on the track with those d*mn restrictor plates. Any originality and skill has been stripped from the sport.

As I said, the people who will complain the most are those who haven't ridden it. Every single time I've seen the trims mentioned on a discussion board by people who have ridden it, they do not mind the trims. From those who have experienced it, we've heard: "You barely notice them." "It makes the ride much more enjoyable." "The pacing is much better." "It's much more comfortable for the riders." "Trains are returning to the station with applauding, screaming people the way Millennium does, whereas before, it was not."

I sincerely hope you were just "in a mood" when you posted this - if you will truly avoid Kings Dominion, write letters, and "urge the Earnhardt foundation to cancel the licensing agreement" because of an added brake on a roller coaster that has been well-recieved by everyone who's actually ridden it, then its your own summer you're ruining. This ride in general has been so incredibly loved and praised already (in spite of, or maybe because of, the added breaks) and if you physically go out of your way to avoid it, you are the one missing out and no one else.

A disgrace? Really...? Do you think Mr. Earnhardt would request that his name be removed from the ride due to the added brakes?

GYK, always surprised at the things people will say about rides they haven't ridden, and how strongly they will stand by those things.

Do you even know who Dale Earnhardt was?

Race car drivers, especially the greatest driver ever, do not hit the brakes when the green flag waves! Trimming the first drop on this ride is every bit as disrespectful as going to the cemetary and urinating on Dale Earnhardt's headstone.

I would expect something like this as part of a Haunt display, but to spit in the face of a dead man's family, friends and fans in this manner is beyond unacceptable!

And if goodyellowcorn or anyone else out there is a fan of CF's trim brakes, feel free to enlighten me on which trims you enjoy.

And, by the way, I don't think that going to a different park will ruin my summer vacation at all :)

I have to agree with............

...........them adding trims.

At least they aren't pinch brakes like on Mean Streak. That is the dumbest thing they have ever done. If you complain about anything, complain about THAT.

I have yet to ride I305, and I have a trip planned for this July. I am not going to cancel my VA trip because they added trims.

It is so stupid to get worked up over stuff like this. What about food cost, drink cost, LOCKER cost? I would worry about that stuff before I complain about a trim.

Take Beast's trims for example. I like the ones on the first drop and the drop into the helix. You feel the train hesitate, then lunge into the tunnels. I like them there.

I have yet to hear anyone complain about BGW trimming Alpie before the first drop.

I have to agree with............

...........them adding trims.

At least they aren't pinch brakes like on Mean Streak. That is the dumbest thing they have ever done. If you complain about anything, complain about THAT.

I have to agree, I tend to get one Mean Streak ride in every time I go to Cedar Point(Mainly because there is never a line!). Those brakes at the top of the first drop are horrible.

I do like how some now call Intimidator 305; Intrimidator 305!

At first I thought KI should of gotten a 300 footer, But I guess only if B&M makes it! I don't recall DB having any problems like this. In this day and age of the computer, I would think these kind of problems would be worked out before they built it. Isn't this kind of flawed design issues that put Arrow out? I been reading a lot about folks blacking out on I305, that doesn't sound like fun to me. Even the orignal animation for I305 seem painfull to me. Maybe the folks at KD were hoping for something to top MF, but I just don't see that, there arn't no trims on MF. Say what you will about MF, I look at it like a piece of art, very well balanced, no need for trims, it was built right from the start, maybe they should of just built another one of those!

Race car drivers, especially the greatest driver ever, do not hit the brakes when the green flag waves! Trimming the first drop on this ride is every bit as disrespectful as going to the cemetary and urinating on Dale Earnhardt's headstone.

What, may I ask, do you think of Carowinds' Intimidator? After all, that particular ride has two sets of trims and a mid course brake...

Cedar Fair and the manufacturer trimmed Mantis. I guess B and M didn't make that one?

Terp, who knows who made what at Cedar Point. At least now.

OK I'll give you that and Behemoth has trims on 3 of its hills(although I don't think there used, if they are it isnt much) just Intamin seems to be having issues with there latest rides. Maverick had design issues, and well there new log flume ride doesn't seem to be going so well at this point either.

Notice the one common factor in all on this is not B&M...not Intamin... but, yes Cedar Fair! The company that will claim that they install trim brakes for "guest comfort" and "safety" or whatever other shallow reason they make up. Remember when they weren't going to close Geauga Lake? Or when the food prices at KI only went up by about a nickel?

And, now Dick "Nickel" Kinzel is in the Sandusky Register claiming that CP has ordered a ride aimed at thrill seekers. Too bad, based upon this company's history, that the attraction won't be direced at thrill finders...

Another thing, why isn't anyone complaining that Diamondback is braking harder on the MCBR this season? I KNOW you guys noticed it. I love Diamondback, and THAT is not going to stop me from riding.

Take Kumba at BGT for example. I have ridden Kumba a LOT, and I have never experienced a hard trim on the MCBR like I do on Diamondback. Kumba usually runs a 2 train operation, however I have been there when they run 3 trains. They MOVE those trains. Kumba is 17 years old, and I know technology has progressed since then. I know for a fact that Diamondback will stop if need be while running at full speed. I personally have that much faith in a B&M coaster.

The parks on the other hand must not trust their own rides.

Here is my final thought on this subject......

If you don't like it, don't do it.

Another thing, why isn't anyone complaining that Diamondback is braking harder on the MCBR this season? I KNOW you guys noticed it. I love Diamondback, and THAT is not going to stop me from riding.

Take Kumba at BGT for example. I have ridden Kumba a LOT, and I have never experienced a hard trim on the MCBR like I do on Diamondback. Kumba usually runs a 2 train operation, however I have been there when they run 3 trains. They MOVE those trains. Kumba is 17 years old, and I know technology has progressed since then. I know for a fact that Diamondback will stop if need be while running at full speed. I personally have that much faith in a B&M coaster.

The parks on the other hand must not trust their own rides.

Here is my final thought on this subject......

If you don't like it, don't do it.

You are talking about blocks, as opposed to trims. Completely different! Blocks are designed to divide a coaster into different segments in order to prevent collisions... They are necessary if a coaster is to run multiple trains! And any coaster will stop in the blocks if the train ahead has not cleared the blocks ahead . Although it is all run by computers these ays, that was not always the case. In fact, the bells that signal that it is safe to release a train still ring on Vortex and AE....

And if goodyellowcorn or anyone else out there is a fan of CF's trim brakes, feel free to enlighten me on which trims you enjoy.

I'm not a fan of trim brakes, but what if there were none on Maverick at Cedar Point.. :o I can not begin to imagine how violent a trimless Mav would be, and I'm not sure I'd want to know.

^i'm guessing you're referring to the ones right after the 70 mph launch? if so, i never understood them, it's like the park just wanted the ride to go fast, so they made it, and then slowed it down soon after, there was really no point in that.

No point... you're arguing for a slower launchblink.gif The point is launching to 70 MPH is way more fun than launching to 55 or 60. Maintaing that speed for the rest of the ride would be painful and not fun. There's the point.

They tried the heartline roll and it was too hard on the trains. Some things can not be known until an actual ride is operating under real natural forces. Computrer programs, simulators and even prototypes can not predict everything.

^i'm guessing you're referring to the ones right after the 70 mph launch? if so, i never understood them, it's like the park just wanted the ride to go fast, so they made it, and then slowed it down soon after, there was really no point in that.

No point... you're arguing for a slower launchblink.gif The point is launching to 70 MPH is way more fun than launching to 55 or 60. Maintaing that speed for the rest of the ride would be painful and not fun. There's the point.

They tried the heartline roll and it was too hard on the trains. Some things can not be known until an actual ride is operating under real natural forces. Computrer programs, simulators and even prototypes can not predict everything.

True about computer simulators, but when you figure they spend 20 million and up for a coaster, it should come darn close. If not, hey Cedar Fair, I build ya a coaster, I got some spare metal in the backyard!

i was talking about the ride being designed to be launched at 70 mph and then slowed way, way down. i understand the reason why the trim is there it just doesn't make sense to me that they would build a coaster with a launch if they are doing nothing more than launching really fast, then slam on the brakes.

this is just my opinion, but i think they should have just installed the lsm fins (like on the first lift) on the hill after the tunnel launch and let the train use the speed it has already from the first drop in order to clear the tunnel, with maybe a couple of little boosts for help, then just use that trimmed hill as a second lift hill.

Do you even know who Dale Earnhardt was?

I would expect something like this as part of a Haunt display, but to spit in the face of a dead man's family, friends and fans in this manner is beyond unacceptable!

And, by the way, I don't think that going to a different park will ruin my summer vacation at all :)

My favorite... are all trim breaks. They make me happy inside. :D *Sarcasm* Now grow up, and stop embarrassing yourself.

I'm glad I got to ride I305 before they added Cedar Fair's inevitable signature trim brakes. Why is it always necessary for this chain of parks to trim the everliving crap out of a coaster that is supposed to be intense and thrilling?

There was nothing wrong with I305.. people black out on Millennium Force all the time but there are zero trims on it. Thank heaven for Holiday World where they don't tame down their coasters for the sissies that can't handle them.

And no offense, but (I'm really going to go off here):

Everyone who hasn't ridden I305 really needs to stop thinking that because it's modeled somewhat after Maverick and because they watched the POV and because TPR's infamous Robb Alvey "blacked out" on it and because your friend of a friend of a cousin that works there said so, that there is awful head banging.

No.

I rode I305 twice on KD opening day. I did not get 1/4 the head banging on it that I did on Maverick, nor did I black out. I saw gray dots for like 2 seconds. Everyone is different and every coaster has a different effect on each person.

Stop with the assuming before you ride something. This is the exact same thing as judging a book by its cover, which many of you tell others not to do.

/rant

I'm not going to assume that the trims will kill the ride. I'm not happy about it seeing as how other CF trims operate, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions about how good or bad the ride may be before I go back to KD and ride it and see for myself.

I'm sorry if you meant that about me gigacoaster2k, I wasn't trying to make you mad.....

This has been bugging me so I want to get it out of my system. #1 You mention "the greatest driver ever" but you did not mention the name Richard Petty? Hm, don't get that one at all. #2 Dale Earnhardt basically ended up killing himself by not wearing a Hans device. I do respect Mr. Earnhardt, but as most drivers who drove on the same track as him would attest, he was reckless. ANY driver would tell you the same thing: Safety first, winning second. So it is true that they don't hit the brakes when the green flag waves, they also know that they can't win in a car that is in peaces. This coaster is the same way, I have ridden it both with trims and without, I prefer it with trims. It's not disrespectful at all, as a matter of fact I think it upholds the values of NASCAR.

This has been bugging me so I want to get it out of my system. #1 You mention "the greatest driver ever" but you did not mention the name Richard Petty? Hm, don't get that one at all. #2 Dale Earnhardt basically ended up killing himself by not wearing a Hans device. I do respect Mr. Earnhardt, but as most drivers who drove on the same track as him would attest, he was reckless. ANY driver would tell you the same thing: Safety first, winning second. So it is true that they don't hit the brakes when the green flag waves, they also know that they can't win in a car that is in peaces. This coaster is the same way, I have ridden it both with trims and without, I prefer it with trims. It's not disrespectful at all, as a matter of fact I think it upholds the values of NASCAR.

Saying drivers never hit the brakes is as dumb as saying drivers never turn right.... if you want to know when a driver hits the brakes all one has to do is look at tracks such as: Atlanta, Bristol, Martinsville, Watkins Glenn, Richmond, Dover, Pocono, Indy... Actually the brakes are at least touched once a lap on most tracks unless you are talking about Daytona or Talladega....But Earnhardt didnt kill himself by being reckless. He was making a block move and got tapped.... No one was to blame it was just an accident as Earnhardt was making a block for his teammates/son

Saying drivers never hit the brakes is as dumb as saying drivers never turn right.... if you want to know when a driver hits the brakes all one has to do is look at tracks such as: Atlanta, Bristol, Martinsville, Watkins Glenn, Richmond, Dover, Pocono, Indy... Actually the brakes are at least touched once a lap on most tracks unless you are talking about Daytona or Talladega....But Earnhardt didnt kill himself by being reckless. He was making a block move and got tapped.... No one was to blame it was just an accident as Earnhardt was making a block for his teammates/son

#1 We both said "don't hit the brakes when the green flag waves" neither one of us said "never hit the brakes".

#2 I said "killing himself by not wearing a Hans device", not "kill himself by being reckless". (I do feel that he was reckless and a danger to others on the track though, but I do not think that is what killed him).

Please read and understand before you post. (I am sorry if this comes across harsh, I'm in a bad mood, car broke down on the way home)

#1 We both said "don't hit the brakes when the green flag waves" neither one of us said "never hit the brakes".

#2 I said "killing himself by not wearing a Hans device", not "kill himself by being reckless". (I do feel that he was reckless and a danger to others on the track though, but I do not think that is what killed him).

Please read and understand before you post. (I am sorry if this comes across harsh, I'm in a bad mood, car broke down on the way home)

I did read and understand what you wrote and I stand by my post, as many drivers must hit the brakes during the first lap of the green flag. Cars do dip and dive into the first turn right as the green flag waves...... secondly I understand you said Earnhardt "killed himself" by not wearing a device that was not mandatory. But you also did state he drove recklessly. Reckless means out of control. Earnhardt was in control of his car (as in he meant what he was doing) and I doubt he was ever a danger to other drivers. But it depends on how you look at it. Earnhardt came from a different era when a bent up car meant the race was hard fought.... and I am sorry you are in a bad mood, a car breaking down does suck.

I did read and understand what you wrote and I stand by my post, as many drivers must hit the brakes during the first lap of the green flag. Cars do dip and dive into the first turn right as the green flag waves...... secondly I understand you said Earnhardt "killed himself" by not wearing a device that was not mandatory. But you also did state he drove recklessly. Reckless means out of control. Earnhardt was in control of his car (as in he meant what he was doing) and I doubt he was ever a danger to other drivers. But it depends on how you look at it. Earnhardt came from a different era when a bent up car meant the race was hard fought.... and I am sorry you are in a bad mood, a car breaking down does suck.

One last time: "don't hit the brakes when the green flag waves" is NOT a litteral term, neither one of us said "NEVER". Also the Hans device was not mandatory, but it was highley recomended by NASCAR. Earnhardt CHOSE not to wear it when it could have saved his life. Earnhardt drove like he was driving a car from the "70's, the cars that were designed in the "80's till now could not and can not take that kind of punishment. A bent up car in the "80's to present meant that you were out of the race hard fought or not. This is all I have to say about this, if you don't get it now you will never see the light.

edit: sorry don't know what happened to the quotes on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has posted up that I305 is now slower than DB, per RCDB..bumping I305 to 8th and DB back to the tie at 7th for fastest in NA.

When the Intimidator 305 opened it claimed a top speed of 94 mph. Changes made to the ride in the first few months of operation limit it's speed to 79.5 mph.