New Trims on I305

Its a shame such a beast had to be muzzled. You'd think they could have seen this coming, the stress it was going to place upon itself and riders, that is. I305 should have never NEEDED to be trimmed. I'm sure its still a fantastic, maybe even better ride.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If, from what I'm getting from other people that have rode this ride, the ride is better with the trims and more comfortable. Why would you complain about them being added? I would rather have a comfortable ride than one where I have to worry about blacking out.

And the fact that people are saying that it is a disgrace to Dale Earnhardt is kind of ridiculous. Don't get me everyone has a right to their oppion but when someone says that it is like peeing on his tombstone that is going a little far. I was actually a little embarrassed. (Sorry about doing this but I need to say that.)

And trims over all are there for a reason. Sometimes it might be unknow but they are there for a reason.

If you're referring to me, I'm not complaining about the trims, I have no right to. I haven't ever been on I305.

I think this is the type of thing Intamin should have seen coming in the development process, surely they knew the force this coaster would exert on guests and itself, there are some pretty darn good computer models out there. This coaster should have been built with a layout that is managable for the punch of speed it packs. I guess my point is, given a better layout, I305 could have still been going 94mph and been an even better ride (one that didn't tear itself to pieces or play vampire on riders' brains).

MF covers 13 acres, I305 covers a mere 5. Jus sayin..

If, from what I'm getting from other people that have rode this ride, the ride is better with the trims and more comfortable. Why would you complain about them being added? I would rather have a comfortable ride than one where I have to worry about blacking out.

And the fact that people are saying that it is a disgrace to Dale Earnhardt is kind of ridiculous. Don't get me everyone has a right to their oppion but when someone says that it is like peeing on his tombstone that is going a little far. I was actually a little embarrassed. (Sorry about doing this but I need to say that.)

And trims over all are there for a reason. Sometimes it might be unknow but they are there for a reason.

Really ridiculous if it came from a Nascar fan. Dale Earnhardt was best known for his performances at Daytona and Talladega. For those of you who don't know, those tracks use what are called "restrictor plates" They limit the amount of air going in to the carburetor, reducing the power, and slowing the cars down. Basically they are putting trims on the cars, and he won more of those races than anyone in his era. Just sayin'

I agree completely, it was in the best interest of everyone involved to trim this ride. Shouldn't this situation have been avoided altogether though? Seems to me someone should have stepped up to the plate and said "listen, we just can't do 94mph in such a small area without problems"

I believe I305 is a case of a manufacturer promising more than they can do, I'm not sure who decided how much area the coaster would take up, but I still lay blame on intamin as the manufacturer. CF obviously ordered a 94mph giga, and ultimately did not receive that.

That said, I'll still check out I305 when I get a chance, it looks great..

I imagine CF was much more concerned with height than speed and I also assume that it was the park/CF that dertermoined how big of a footprint the ride would have. That makes me agree that Intamin was put in a position where they were asked to build a ride that did not fit the plot. IF this was a 200' or 250' coaster it probably would be fine without trims.

As it is, I have no problems with them adding trims except that they did it before I got a chance to ride itsmile.gif

I'm sure CF was concerned with speed, seeing as it was marketed as a high speed ride, designed as a high speed ride, and given a Nascar theme.

If CF decided the layout of the ride, and the area it would cover, then the blame is mutual. CF for having such high expectations, and Intamin for designing and manufacturing something that wasn't entirely safe and didn't deliver.

Race car drivers, especially the greatest driver ever, do not hit the brakes when the green flag waves! Trimming the first drop on this ride is every bit as disrespectful as going to the cemetary and urinating on Dale Earnhardt's headstone.

What, may I ask, do you think of Carowinds' Intimidator? After all, that particular ride has two sets of trims and a mid course brake...

I rode it last weekend. It was awful! Not even in my top 3 favorites at Carowinds. As big a disappointment as Fahrenheit!

And if goodyellowcorn or anyone else out there is a fan of CF's trim brakes, feel free to enlighten me on which trims you enjoy.

I'm not a fan of trim brakes, but what if there were none on Maverick at Cedar Point.. :o I can not begin to imagine how violent a trimless Mav would be, and I'm not sure I'd want to know.

It would be awesome! Are you kidding?!?

Beatle, that is entirely too bad to hear you say that. I had such high hopes for both.

06jds377, I agree that they were concerned with speed. They were just more concerned about height. That's why they say tallest first when they promote it, just like everything else that has been the tallest and fastest this or that.

And if goodyellowcorn or anyone else out there is a fan of CF's trim brakes, feel free to enlighten me on which trims you enjoy.

I'm not a fan of trim brakes, but what if there were none on Maverick at Cedar Point.. ohmy.gif I can not begin to imagine how violent a trimless Mav would be, and I'm not sure I'd want to know.

It would be awesome! Are you kidding?!?

yesss it would be awesome agreed.! it would make the ride so much thrilling

Rides with twists and turns should probably have trims; I don't see why B&Ms have to have them. It's just a bunch of hills.How is it unsafe in anyway not to have trims?

Luckily, Diamondback only has 1 trim on the hill before the brake run......

Race car drivers, especially the greatest driver ever, do not hit the brakes when the green flag waves! Trimming the first drop on this ride is every bit as disrespectful as going to the cemetary and urinating on Dale Earnhardt's headstone.

This has been bugging me so I want to get it out of my system. #1 You mention "the greatest driver ever" but you did not mention the name Richard Petty? Hm, don't get that one at all. #2 Dale Earnhardt basically ended up killing himself by not wearing a Hans device. I do respect Mr. Earnhardt, but as most drivers who drove on the same track as him would attest, he was reckless. ANY driver would tell you the same thing: Safety first, winning second. So it is true that they don't hit the brakes when the green flag waves, they also know that they can't win in a car that is in peaces. This coaster is the same way, I have ridden it both with trims and without, I prefer it with trims. It's not disrespectful at all, as a matter of fact I think it upholds the values of NASCAR.

#1 Richard Petty won because he had Chrysler factory backing while racing against drivers with less money and inferior equipment. I've met and spoken to Mr. Petty and I think he's a great and wonderful human being, but, he won races with superior equipment, not superior talent (I think David Pearson, Curtis Turner, Fireball Roberts, Cale Yarbrough, and Earnhardt were more talented), IMO.... #2 Dale Earnhrdt got killed because he went head on into a wall with an immediate deceleration of 42 miles per hour in the forward vector, an impact that is not survivable regardless of the restrait system used (crash tests are done at 35 mph for a reason). But, back to the ride, if its a tribute to Dale Earnhardt, it should be wide open take no prisoners fast, and, yes, reckless!!!

This has been bugging me so I want to get it out of my system. #1 You mention "the greatest driver ever" but you did not mention the name Richard Petty? Hm, don't get that one at all. #2 Dale Earnhardt basically ended up killing himself by not wearing a Hans device. I do respect Mr. Earnhardt, but as most drivers who drove on the same track as him would attest, he was reckless. ANY driver would tell you the same thing: Safety first, winning second. So it is true that they don't hit the brakes when the green flag waves, they also know that they can't win in a car that is in peaces. This coaster is the same way, I have ridden it both with trims and without, I prefer it with trims. It's not disrespectful at all, as a matter of fact I think it upholds the values of NASCAR.

But, back to the ride, if its a tribute to Dale Earnhardt, it should be wide open take no prisoners fast, and, yes, reckless!!!

Then we get back to the SOB situation with a rough ride, and injury claims no one can prove either way if it was caused by the ride.

Uh...there WAS a court case where it WAS decided by a jury that the ride WAS responsible for the claimed injury. The park settled that matter only after the matter of punitive damages was about to be decided...

I should correct myself.... A ride should feel as though it is reckless while remaining completely safe. I rode The Racer with the soft seats and buzz bar restraints and proudly wore the bruises on my thighs as a badge of honor. I'm "old school" I suppose.

--Beatle, who has been known to type faster than he thinks, from time to time

My comment was more aimed toward this:

Then we get back to the SOB situation with a rough ride, and injury claims no one can prove either way if it was caused by the ride.

It was proved to the satisfaction of a jury (a situation the park could have avoided had it settled the case, sigh), that the injury claimed in a particular case was caused by the ride.

It was proved to the satisfaction of a jury (a situation the park could have avoided had it settled the case, sigh), that the injury claimed in a particular case was caused by the ride.

But we will never know how much the Plaintiffs were demanding as a settlement or what the Defendants were offering prior to that trial. Either or both sides could have been unreasonable making a trial inevitable.

--Beatle, just sayin'

Ok there was that case. I was really thinking of people making claims due to their ride experience, not real evidence.

Uh...there WAS a court case where it WAS decided by a jury that the ride WAS responsible for the claimed injury. The park settled that matter only after the matter of punitive damages was about to be decided...

I should correct myself.... A ride should feel as though it is reckless while remaining completely safe. I rode The Racer with the soft seats and buzz bar restraints and proudly wore the bruises on my thighs as a badge of honor. I'm "old school" I suppose.

--Beatle, who has been known to type faster than he thinks, from time to time

I may have missed it, but have you ridden it since the trims? or are you still not going to ride it because of the trims? Just because it was slowed down a bit does not mean it still does not feel reckless......

some people like to ignore certain facts when trying to make a point.... see "The Beast never had trims till Cedar Fair took over..."

Ok there was that case. I was really thinking of people making claims due to their ride experience, not real evidence.

Medical reports do not count as real evidence?

Beatle, I am not one to tell anyone how to spend their money or how to spend time with their family. So with that being said, I wish you a safe and wonderful trip to Cedar Point, careful the state patrol have been out in full force up here lately (on 71 north of the 76 interchange they have been pulling people over for doing 5 mph faster than the speed limit, just a heads up)....

with that being said, I dont get how anyone (not just you, so dont take offense) can be upset with a ride with out riding it. Fun fast rides i get, but fast rides that may cause damage to the ride or harm to the guests - that should be fixed.....