New Trims on I305

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's really a "bandwagon". It's just the fact many people hate trims. I guess I'm in the bandwagon then, because I definitley hate trims. Now trims here and there are fine, but the overuse of them - such as The Beast, is just stupid. It slows down the train too much, and it loses the thrill of the ride. Especially on The Beast.

but The Beast has always been trimmed**... its not like the ride was trimless for 10 years...... this ride was trimless for less than 1 month. No one likes to go slow, but no one likes to lose consciousness and get hurt either...

I think what HTCO was trying to say "People need to stop saying trims are useless." They may suck but they are there for a reason, the reason being safety and ride maintenance. Does not make them evil, just part of the ride....

** trimmed ever since the general public rode it

No, they are magnetic so they do not touch the trains at all. They are like the trims on Beast. It is not costly to maintain them and they do not effect the train as much as you think. I am willing to bet it is cheaper to maintain with the trims then it is without the trims.

No, they are magnetic so they do not touch the trains at all. They are like the trims on Beast. It is not costly to maintain them.

Mags are very expensive. They do get hot and cool down and they warp. Then they make contact with the train and you have to replace them. I've talked to a engineer about this who has been working on rides for years and I wasn't talking about the brake fins. Trims wear out the bushings in the hitch's that connect the cars together to make a train. They wear out a lot more then you think. Mag's aren't 100% perfect or fail safe but they are more reliable then fin brakes. It's still pretty costly.

but The Beast has always been trimmed**... its not like the ride was trimless for 10 years...... this ride was trimless for less than 1 month. No one likes to go slow, but no one likes to lose consciousness and get hurt either...

I think what HTCO was trying to say "People need to stop saying trims are useless." They may suck but they are there for a reason, the reason being safety and ride maintenance. Does not make them evil, just part of the ride....

Thank you. That is exactly what I meant. What I also meant by that statement was I'm tired of reading "ROFL TRIMZ SUCKZ! KILZ THEM!" on every single tread about I305 and The Beast.

They may suck but they are there for a reason, the reason being safety and ride maintenance. Does not make them evil, just part of the ride....

And trims don't tear up the trains? They do...

Would you rather have a little more tear and wear on the train? Or the ride structure?

Son of Beast anyone?

Some people need to hop off the " I HATE TRIMS " bandwagon. Nuff' said.

And, some people need to hop off the "THE PARK CAN DO NO WRONG" bandwagon.

Where did that come from? If that was intended for me.

The park can do wrong. They have before, and they always will. But trims are sometimes the best answer.

Thank you. That is exactly what I meant. What I also meant by that statement was I'm tired of reading "ROFL TRIMZ SUCKZ! KILZ THEM!" on every single tread about I305 and The Beast.

They may suck but they are there for a reason, the reason being safety and ride maintenance. Does not make them evil, just part of the ride....

Would you rather have a little more tear and wear on the train? Or the ride structure?

Son of Beast anyone?

What would be easier and cheaper? Replacing a few pieces of wood or replacing a large piece of the train? Trims are sometimes the best answer like you said but for The Beast and maybe I305 I think those two rides don't need to be trimmed like they are now.

They could cause structural problems in the future. Which is the reason I said "Son of Beast anyone?". Like Son of Beast, we all thought, 'Wood can handle forces like that! We will just replace the wood every now and then'. Now look at it. Same for I305. Even though its steel, it can still cause unneeded stress on the bottom of the first drop. Some of you guys still don't realize Cedar Fair is a business. There "important" list probably goes something like this:

1) Saftey

2) Money

3) Money

60) What the park guests want

70) What the roller coaster enthusiasts want.

B)

Son of Beast anyone?

What would be easier and cheaper? Replacing a few pieces of wood or replacing a large piece of the train? Trims are sometimes the best answer like you said but for The Beast and maybe I305 I think those two rides don't need to be trimmed like they are now.

first off wood is replaced on all rides, almost all of the time. With that being said it's probably easier and cheaper in the long run to work on a train than have to shut down an entire ride to replace a structure that was destroyed....

HEY EVERYONE WHO THINKS USING TRIMS DO NOT HELP SAVE MONEY PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS.....

Do you honestly think every single park in the world has been wrong, about using trims to save money on the structure, and you are the very first person to come up with the idea that it would be cheaper to replace parts of a ride versus a train?

They could cause structural problems in the future. Which is the reason I said "Son of Beast anyone?". Like Son of Beast, we all thought, 'Wood can handle forces like that! We will just replace the wood every now and then'. Now look at it. Same for I305. Even though its steel, it can still cause unneeded stress on the bottom of the first drop. Some of you guys still don't realize Cedar Fair is a business. There "important" list probably goes something like this:

1) Saftey

2) Money

3) Money

60) What the park guests want

70) What the roller coaster enthusiasts want.

B)

120) what people from a Theme park message board want

Alright.

I just read through all 9 pages of this thing and now it's time for me to give my $.05. ;)

I think this has gone WAY too far. Calling it a disgrace? Comparing it to an ACTUAL NASCAR racing experience? I mean seriously. That's like comparing Drop Zone (Tower) to the movie... It's called a theme for a reason.

And whoever it was that compared trimming the drop for rider safety and/or enjoyment, in the words of CF, to urinating on a headstone is being a tad ridiculous. I don't understand how that could possibly disgrace the Earnhardt family. To me that's absurd.

Also, people keep comparing this to Millie simply because their stats are similar.

Let's break it down now. Millie's top speed is 92 MPH and it's layout is stretched out with sweeping turns and large hills, making it an enjoyable ride. I305 is/was 94 MPH and it's layout was that of a country road, by comparison, which would clearly end up jarring you and taking tight turns at such speeds seems unsafe and rather unenjoyable to me. It really seems comparable to going 94 MPH out a country road in a vehicle. Also, does anyone here actually know what the Gs were going into that corner? Even the POV seemed a little too much to me.

Also, for those of you comparing it to NASCAR. That's like apples and oranges. This is a rather compact roller coaster compared to a racing speedway constructed to allow speeds near 200 MPH.

As someone who has never even been to KD much less ridden I305, I think that this move may have been a good one. It was obviously done for a reason. Am I a fan of trims? No. In fact, that first one on The Beast angers me to no end, but I figure there is a purpose. Does CF have a habit of over trimming? Maybe. However, considering it is one long break fin all the way down the drop I really don't understand how it could kill the ride experience considering it hasn't even gotten up to speed. And, the fact that they removed some fins later in the ride proves that they were at least considering rider experience.

Sorry if any of this seemed rude, I just thought that this was going a little too far.

Oh and ;) to whoever mentioned the third hill on DB without the trim. It IS rather glorious.

The Beast doesn't go 80 mph and the old trains were A LOT heavier then PTC's.

http://www.premier-r...stallations.htm

For the old premier trains...

NUMBER OF RIDERS PER COACH 6

NUMBER OF COACHES PER TRAIN 6

WEIGHT PER COACH (WITHOUT RIDERS) 2700 LBS

The PTC's that The Beast use are around 900 per coach. No I don't have a link. I was told by a engineer I know that has worked with PTC trains.

Round that up you get about 5,400 pounds for a train. Take the old premier and you get about 16,000 per train. If you don't believe me do the math.

And the problems with Son of Beast now really don't have to do with the structure as much as it did. The trains they have now were not designed to fit the track gauge Son of Beast has. The trains were heavily modified. That's why the ride is still rough.

And for Intimidator I305 I haven't read anything from the park about the trims added to the first drop. But I did hear the ride was destroying wheels and only one train was being ran most of the time because of them constantly removing and replacing wheels. Not sure if that is entirely true though. And yes I know about people almost blacking out on the ride.

first off wood is replaced on all rides, almost all of the time. With that being said it's probably easier and cheaper in the long run to work on a train than have to shut down an entire ride to replace a structure that was destroyed....

HEY EVERYONE WHO THINKS USING TRIMS DO NOT HELP SAVE MONEY PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS.....

Do you honestly think every single park in the world has been wrong, about using trims to save money on the structure, and you are the very first person to come up with the idea that it would be cheaper to replace parts of a ride versus a train?

Do you think I don't know that? You know rides don't run 24/7 and they don't always open exactly when the park opens. Beast and Son of Beast especially. In 08' I saw Son of Beast closed almost every morning I went to the park. The Beast too... They don't shut down a ride to fix a few supports. They will either do it in the morning before test runs or even when the park closes at night and they don't wait until the structure is destroyed. Ride capacity is right there with safety and money. I don't see The Beast running with all three trains everyday I go which will effect ride capacity. They do have problems and nothing is going to stop that but removing the mag there is what I think should be experimented by the park if you ask me.

No... I did not say that.

• 3 weeks later...