Boo Blasters on Boo Hill

benred23

The Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom is farrrrr worse than BBoBH. I remember being terrified (in a good way) when riding that as a kid. That's the fun of amusement parks! You experience stuff you're not able to on the outside. I can also vividly remember riding Phantom Theater as a 2 or 3 year old and being terrified by it, but it didn't mentally destroy me. Looking back at it, it is probably my favorite memory of a kiddie ride at King's Island.

Oh my god you should have seen me on that ride when I was 6. I was crying like nuts, but then the end made me crack up, when the mirrors make your faces change. :P

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom is farrrrr worse than BBoBH. I remember being terrified (in a good way) when riding that as a kid. That's the fun of amusement parks! You experience stuff you're not able to on the outside. I can also vividly remember riding Phantom Theater as a 2 or 3 year old and being terrified by it, but it didn't mentally destroy me. Looking back at it, it is probably my favorite memory of a kiddie ride at King's Island.

Actually, both of those are nothing compared to Disneyland Paris' Phantom Manor:

This is the best I could find. DLP's is very different as the second half does a complete 180 from what the stateside (and even the Asian) Mansions have. Instead of going through a graveyard and ending from there, Manor actually has you falling into an open grave and traversing underground catacombs before venturing through the underground town of Boot Hill (of which sank into the ground after a major earthquake).

Actually, both of those are nothing compared to Disneyland Paris' Phantom Manor:

This is the best I could find. DLP's is very different as the second half does a complete 180 from what the stateside (and even the Asian) Mansions have. Instead of going through a graveyard and ending from there, Manor actually has you falling into an open grave and traversing underground catacombs before venturing through the underground town of Boot Hill (of which sank into the ground after a major earthquake).

Wow, after watching that video.. I really want to go see Disneyland Paris. It looks a thousand times creepier than the WDW HM.

Rest assured that most every overseas Disney Park has an equivalent to a state-side ride, but much more well-done. Particularly Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disney Resort - the latter, especially, because it is not operated by the Walt Disney Company, and thus sets its own budget and expectations (neither of which does it cut at the last second).

Their Phantom Manor is easily the best of the Haunted Mansions. It even has a backstory: In Boot Hill lives an old miser who owns the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and all the excavated gold within. His beautiful young daughter falls in love with a poor miner, something that the old man cannot accept. So, on their wedding day, a mysterious phantom kills the husband, leaving the bride to wander around for eternity waiting for her love.

Ironically, a very similar storyline was placed inside the stateside Mansions, narrated by the black ravens still perched in every room of the mansion. However, the Imagineers eventually decided that telling the tale through the ride decreased re-ridability, so it was never used. However, the "hanging man" in the portrait gallery, the wedding reception party, even the bride in the attic all remain. In 2008, the bride was transformed from the originally-intended benevolent beauty to a menacing figure as part of a redo of the Mansions. So in effect, the original remains of the storyline disappeared with the friendly bride...

I love those rides!

That is troublesome, as it was an awesome effect. Hopefully, it returns soon. I was totally not expecting to see that when I rode the version of Boo Blasters down at Carowinds on their opening day. I haven`t been on KI`s Boo Blasters since early May I believe, so I can`t confirm or deny this effect is present or not.

I can say I am sadden and disgusted with Boo Blasters! I really tried to like it but the kids HATE IT! They kept asking Where's scooby? Where's shaggy? I really am upset over this trash of a dark ride.Scooby-Doo and The Haunted Castle was family friendly Boo Blasters is NOT! I find it funny how they say it's not in Planet Snoopy when the ride is ON the kiddie side of the park.Planet Snoopy is awesome CF did a great job on it and it's themed very well. Sorry but Boo Blasters is an Epic Fail! and an and epic atrocious fail at that! :angry:

Why couldn't they have themed the new dark ride to snoopy?!?

As I said it wasn't working at all 2 weeks ago, nor was it working this past Monday when I visited. Also of note is the fact that there are a couple scenes that are completely dark, no black lights at all. It's all in the area of fog effect, that whole are is looking bad. I really hope that it is fixed soon because without it the ride doesn't have much redeeming quality it separate it from Scooby Doo.

Sorry but Boo Blasters is an Epic Fail! and an and epic atrocious fail at that! :angry:

As much as I like Scooby Doo, Compared to Phantom Theater, Haunted Castle and Boo Blasters are both epic fails. Bring back Phantom Theater!

I was disappointed as well, for when I took the family a few weeks ago for the first time this season I had raved to my wife about this specific effect and it was not on. A week before that I took a cousin of mine, even then it was not on. I am guessing a fog machine is not at the top of the list once daily operations start, but still a little disappointing that it has not been fixed as of yet.

I don't see this ride ever being any type of fail, especially epic. I understand liking one theme over another, but how about we appreciate that fact we have a ride there at all. smile.gif

This makes me a little sad. I haven't been to KI in a month or so because of work. I really did love this ride though, my sister and I both had a blast on it. We loved the fog effect too. It actually scared my sister she wasn't really ready and I guess got scared and she hit me with her gun. Funny none the less...

When did they officially shut down Phantom Theater? I remember riding it towards the end of June back in 02 and I went back to the park with my cousins on the final day of the season and it was heavy construction..

I'd seriously take Phantom Theater over both Scooby and Boo Hill...but thought Boo Hill was better than Scooby :P

That one wasn't a lottery. I just let all the nice people behind me in front of me...and some friends of mine from Kings Dominion and I were in the last car before they closed for the night...and forever. Park employees rode after us, both later that night and the next day. And then, it was gone...

Hmmmmm...

This may be a new record for the amount of time it takes for an effect to be shut off at KI, just because the park's owners are not willing to pay for/maintain the effect.mad.gif

Similar to the light bulbs burning out and motors seizing on AE, or the audio and water effects on BLSC, The Crypt in general, and possibly (I REALLY hope not...) the water jets in the royal fountain. The list goes on and on. This may be one of those times.

I really wish that Cedar Fair would stop thinking that effects/theming have no impact on a parks atmosphere and that they can just please people with the color red. After all, coasters and major thrill rides are fun, but the experience of ride mixed with a good backstory or theme really adds to the excitement.

Sorry i kind of elaborated a bit more than necessary, but this is truly becoming a disqust thinking of how far Kings Island is drifting away from the well themed immersive environment it once was one effect at a time, and just because a certain company's board of directors and CEO continuously strive to believe that theming is no more than "lipstick" is like saying that the internet is just a newspaper on a screen.

... just because a certain company's board of directors and CEO continuously strive to believe that theming is no more than "lipstick" is like saying that the internet is just a newspaper on a screen.

Though you meant that last one as a metaphor, I would argue that both comparisons that both are true, honest-to-goodness opinions held by current management... But that's a discussion for a later time...

... just because a certain company's board of directors and CEO continuously strive to believe that theming is no more than "lipstick" is like saying that the internet is just a newspaper on a screen.

Though you meant that last one as a metaphor, I would argue that both comparisons that both are true, honest-to-goodness opinions held by current management... But that's a discussion for a later time...

But when? That's the most important Q in the short term. How long, how long?

^^ Wow I never would've noticed! Thanks bud! Boo Blasters is a great ride, and one that many, many parks out there would gladly take as their own. We're sort of conditioned to expect a lot because that building has been occupied by two much-loved family boat rides with pop-culture-friendly characters, a frighteningly high-quality haunted house, and another family-friendly dark ride adding interactivity and another well-loved character. Certainly there are those (especially on this site) who now dislike the ride - it first lost its high-quality animatronics and setting, then even that "downgraded" Scooby Doo version lost its beloved characters. With these elements left in the dust, many people claim to dislike the ride simply on principle - it lost its Scooby characters and its Phantom Theater realism, how could what's left be good? But if you suspend reality and pretend that building had long laid empty, riding it as if it were its own attraction, seperate from its past incarnations (which, to be fair, it is), you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This news of the fog effect being out of commission is troubling, as it was a great effect that made the ride more than a "de-branding" of Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle... One can hope that this is an accidental oversight. Then again, perhaps those in guest relations knew that a few effects would turn off here and there as the season progresses. Perhaps they anticipated that they could not take the inevitable heat, so they simply got out of the fire...

I used to think that it was the company as a whole that was the reason why most of the rides with theming have a majority of their effects broken or turned off.

Now I believe it's the fault of the individual PARK as to why said rides have broken theming.

Apparently, when Cedar Fair came in and started 'remodeling' areas and departments that they deemed needed to be 'fixed', they saw the one department in charge of repairing said special effects and said, "Eh, we don't need 'em!"

(Although to be frank, said same department in the Paramount years was known for not repairing said effects, so you could say they let that department stay the same.)

It makes less sense now that rides similar to ours with effects similar to ours from other parks (most notably the former Paramount Parks) have working effects or once not working/turned off effects now are on and fully working. Coincidentally, I remember that question someone asked on the 5@5 a while back about why the water splash effect wasn't on for BLSC, and the response was that you could see a much better one 50 feet away on Diamondback. Talk about a slap to the face involving an effect that's actually a part of the ride's THEME versus an effect that technically isn't even a part of that ride's theme (although, again, to be frank, there are snakes that wade through the water all cool-like, but I have yet to see a video of a snake snatching up a fish out of the water from up high like a bird).