Boo Blasters on Boo Hill

benred23

You bring up many good points - I too assumed that it was a Cedar Fair thing. And please don't get me wrong, in many ways it is. Not only are they poor at maintaining theme, but their installation of theme on new rides is minimal at best. Is Diamondback themed? Sure. But most every superhero-themed ride at your friendly neighborhood Six Flags looks better from a theme point of view. Then take into consideration Kings Dominion (and yes, I'm about to start repeating myself). Kings Dominion's Backlot Stunt Coaster had its splashdown returned this year. It's Crypt still uses its original Tomb Raider musical score, flames, fountains, even the monkey-warrior statue props surround the ride. Their entire Congo area plays, track-by-track, the score to the film Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Their Flight of Fear still plays the synchronized music each and every time, and the bass, lighting, and queue video still work inside their spaceship.

So did Mr. Kinzel's word come from on high that Kings Dominion could have its original lighting, flames, music, movie props, and fog? Doubtful. As Terpy has said, Kings Dominion must compete directly with Busch Gardens Williamsburg and its "Most Beautiful Park on Earth" award, its landscaping, its music, its theme. As such, I imagine (thinking out loud here) that Kings Dominion simply allots x amount of money each season towards theme - the flames, the fog, the lights. It's not cheap, but it's all factored into the budget beforehand.

Kings Island? What do we compete with? Directly, no other theme parks. Indirectly, we used to compete with Kentucky Kingdom and Cedar Point... Enough said, right? Our Crypt is still better themed than anything at those two parks, and our Cedar Point market doesn't necessarily search for theme the way visitors to Busch Gardens / Kings Dominion would. They come to Cedar Point for thrills, and if they hear about a little park three hours away with a really well themed, but 40 foot tall Backlot Stunt Coaster, they may be less than inclined to visit... But when Diamondback is three hours away, it might be worth it to hop down for the day!

That's just what I've gathered so far. Look at the Crypt - the building is filled with fountains, Hollywood lighting, lasers, fog machines, and more. If they thought it would improve the park's visitation to turn them on, than they would. And if Universal Studios built a park in Ohio, you better believe those fountains and lights would get turned on pretty fast... (Or better yet, if Universal bought a park in Ohio... I think you know which one I'm talking about).

When it's all said and done, I would take 2006's on-its-last-leg Tomb Raider over our current Crypt any day of the week... Who wouldn't?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Millennium

^ I disagree on one point. TTD is much better themed than anything at KI imo. The music plays, all the lighting, sound effects, etc.

I wouldn't agree that that's well-themed, really... But even so, it doesn't hold a candle to the entrance and queue of the Crypt. That queue combined with the ride chamber's goddess, volcano, and flashing lights is better themed than most rides at many corporate-owned seasonal amusement parks in the United States...

I usually let that one go, along with rediculous. Sometimes even breaks for brakes. Besides, I was asleep! :)

Terpy, who could care less about good English, because he cares a great deal...and who sometimes thinks texting (by execs, not kids) is contributing to the ruination of this nation, and to car crashes! (And I don't totally want to be known solely for being Mrs. Grundy, or as is said in another place I frequent, Arping people!)

I wonder if the reason for it being off is the projector "flashing" the guests when something goes wrong with the smoke screen. (anyone who's ridden it with the projector on and smoke screen off would know what I mean) Maybe they are trying to figure out a way to automagically turn off the projector when the smoke stops?

Well the effect has been working at Elitch Gardens for years without anyone worrying about that. Suppose we should ask folks at the other Paramount Parks if theirs are working (here's a wild guess: I bet they are).

Well the effect has been working at Elitch Gardens for years without anyone worrying about that. Suppose we should ask folks at the other Paramount Parks if theirs are working (here's a wild guess: I bet they are).

Do the fire effects work on their BLSCs? Not to say we have better theming on every single ride *coughcough*, but we have some...

• 4 weeks later...

Near the end with all the dark skelotons I can see how It can really scare little kids. When I first saw those I was actually a little spooked for a second cuz I wasn't expecting that. IMO, Cedar Fair should've just kept it Scooby-Doo themed.

i remember the first time i road phantom theater, it scared me so bad that i never rode it again until the last 3yrs of operation. & i kick myself everyday for it.

I was surprised by 2 things:

1. How little had actually changed

2. How the little changes added up to a much scarier ride. Pull out Scooby and replace him with scarier creatures, and the ride no longer appeals to the same demo.

I liked Boo Blasters. It's a fine dark ride. KI needs more like it. I just wish the only family-friendly dark ride on property was less scary.

I was also surprised how little the ride changed. I didn't like how CF marketed it as a "new interactive dark ride" even though all they did was remove Scooby-Doo characters and references and replace them with generic Haunted House references and characters.

It might have been an option of they had the budget to liensce the ride.

You assume that the license to the ride in question was the issue. It was not.

Terp, who has said all he can or will

How come you always say "that's all I can say as I've already said too much"? Just curious...smile.gif

I was also surprised how little the ride changed. I didn't like how CF marketed it as a "new interactive dark ride" even though all they did was remove Scooby-Doo characters and references and replace them with generic Haunted House references and characters.

This is coming from a company that marketed the Halloween Haunt as an event "unlike anything you've ever seen before" and with "more blood, terror, and gore than ever before", even though all they did was rename several attractions and dump a couple of bathtubs of blood everywhere (minus three, every one of the attractions at the event are from the Paramount/CBS era, even if they are a simple re-theme).

It might have been an option of they had the budget to liensce the ride.

Snoopy and Scooby both park mascots? That would be stupid.

I honestly wouldn't give a darn AT ALL. Yeah that would be considered, "stupid" I guess.ph34r.gif But would the GP care? At all?

So, you wouldn't care. You think the general public wouldn't care.

Gee, I wonder who would...

Think about that for a while, then you might very well interpret something correctly!