Columbus Zoo 5/16 Photo TR

DegenRider

Yesterday was a wonderfully warm day and it was my moms birthday. She wanted to go see the polar bears at the zoo so I figured for her birthday to go ahead and take her up.

Walking into the Zoo I see that they still have trams

4613292571_5cff15cdf7.jpg

After renewing my membership for the year we entered the park and decided to walk around Jungle Jacks Landing to test out my new camera.

The rides would open later in the day however right now the pathway was open and we were free to walk around.

Walking in the 1st thing you see is the Log flume

4613293987_5aa01d7bea.jpg

Looking around the station it looks like it wasn't ready for the season yet. I didn't see any logs in and the water was filthy.

Next up I walked by the flyers. I road these last year and they are snappable however I didn't ride them today

4613917084_f493ce5bf9.jpg

Walking around again was Journey to Zanzibar

4613917630_15f8a79b89.jpg

As I walked around the area You can see the jungle trek car ride

4613917994_277ed1a7fc.jpg

Once again it didn't look ready to open. Funny enough they were running a 2 for 1 special today because I it looked like a lot of the rides weren't quite ready yet.

I decided to test my camera out some and took a picture of the large slide complex in the water park

4613300639_21c15054a1_b.jpg

Speaking of the water park the gate was open to the main entrance. I stuck my camera in and grabbed a quick shot.

4613920490_17fca9b814.jpg

Next we walked towards the kids area towards Sea Dragon

4613302713_63d3f627c2.jpg

4613303117_a4a4df5197.jpg

Next up was the frog hopper and Sea Dragon.

Sea Dragon spent most of last year in rehab. However this morning it looks like it was ready to go

4613922038_2cbe3b0d8c.jpg

We walked by a ready to go Gibbons

4613303877_6748f15dff.jpg

Then the scrambler

4613304261_ba6d9068fe.jpg

Then as we finished our circle we went by the safari cars

4613924400_541e51d818.jpg

Walking back around they had birds on leashes!

Here is an owl being all like what..

4613925592_2996454ded.jpg

Then there was this ferret looking thing

4613307693_237aabbace.jpg

Then there was the sparrow...and some outlets

4613926566_d10721afee.jpg

Then there is the Turkey Vulture

4613308423_0585ff8f88.jpg

As we were walking back we saw the Flamingo parade

4613309565_fde13c77d7.jpg

One of the shows the zoo does is the Cheetah & dog show

4613928584_8591ff58b2.jpg

They tell the stories that the dogs are used to scare off the Cheetahs but these two have been raised together and they seem to get together well enough although the dog is a bit crazy.

The Cheetahs are still young and growing but this is a cat I wouldn't mess with

4613928968_1fef2692e6_b.jpg

4613311021_2485a6c3cd.jpg

The keepers told me the cheetah kept eying the kids because it would be easy prey.

The dog on the other hand loved all the attention.

4613311321_c1e4553f7e.jpg

We then walked back to the North America part of the zoo to see the polar bears. As we were walking up we saw the Bison

4613311321_c1e4553f7e.jpg

Right at the railroad crossing is the solar house which is being built by OSU and the zoo

4613935160_ca1e3e2df1.jpg

After waiting for the train to cross we were in to Polar Frontier

4613318015_83430c7e82.jpg

The area itself is very well themed out

4613937654_06b80c1d1b.jpg

Even the employee only area signs are well thought out

4613937654_06b80c1d1b.jpg

Next we walked into the "mine" down to the under water viewing area.

4613939432_e49a851204.jpg

There is tons of fish in the water for the bear to eat. How ever today the bear wasn't fishing

4613940060_3638db95a7.jpg

from here you can walk up to the "living room". This area is setup with TV's showing the polar bears. A gift shop, and a really neat display showing the ice caps melting,.

4613940382_96652fcd4f.jpg

4613941096_30173c6de4.jpg

4613942012_986cde812b.jpg

Walking towards the outdoor viewing area we got to see the polar bear

4613324025_1fb9de2489_o.jpg

4613325941_e4054651f2.jpg

I got to see the brown bear too

4613944864_fb82536475.jpg

As we went towards the exit there is the Arctic fox

4613326631_e3ce02c62f.jpg

It was ultra crowded in the area so we made our way back down and out of the zoo.

It was a fun couple of hours and the new exhibit was very fun and informative.

Great PTR.

Am I the only one against installing rides at zoos? It takes away from the atmosphere.

Have you been to the Columbus Zoo? Did you know it has been this way for over 50 years?

Their was originally 2 separate parks. There was the Columbus Zoo and Zoo Park with the latter being a small amusement park. Zoo Park had nothing to do with the Columbus Zoo. In latter days Zoo Park became Wyandot Lake and then became part of Six Flags. Two years ago the Zoo purchased Wyandot Lake and inc operated it into the Zoo. Most of the rides are in a separate area from the animals and in no way affects the atmosphere. The only rides that in the animal area are the Train, the boat ride in the Asia area and the carousel that was once at Olentangy Park.

BTW, the Jet (sea dragon) roller coaster is the oldest operating coaster in Ohio. This was my first coaster and why I can't bring myself to call it by it's new name. To me it will always be the Jet.

BTW, the Jet (sea dragon) roller coaster is the oldest operating coaster in Ohio. This was my first coaster and why I can't bring myself to call it by it's new name. To me it will always be the Jet.

RCDB begs to differ

http://www.rcdb.com/635.htm

http://www.rcdb.com/324.htm

Memphis Kiddie Park's Little Dipper is the oldest operating coaster in Ohio.

Columbus's zoo looks really nice! I've never been, but maybe I'll make it up there some time this year?

It really is worth the trip! It's been incredible to watch the Zoo grow up in the last 20 years. When I was a child, the North American region was the "hot new" area in the zoo. It's now the oldest area in the zoo by far. The zoo's expansion has been rapid, adding the African Forest (home to the famous Gorilla and Bonobo programs, Leopards, among others) in 2000, the Shores region (Manatees, Discovery Reef, Reptiles, Alligators, Flamingos, and Penguins - all new since the late '90s), Australia (with the incredible Roadhouse nocturnal building, indoor/outdoor Koala house, and a Kangaroo walk through - nothing between you and the 'roos!) in 2003, Journey to the Islands of Southeast Asia (with the aforementioned boat ride through Gibbon, Orangutan, Komodo Dragon and Small Clawed Otter exhibits) also added in 2003, the award-winning Asia Quest (Amur Tigers, Asian Elephants, Black Rhinos, Sun Bears, Letungs (primate), Bats, flying fox, Tufted Deer, Markhor, Red Panda, Water Monitor, and the largest snake in captivity: Fluffy, the 24' reticulated python) added in 2006.

The Zoo just opened Polar Frontier as a sub-area of the North American region and is renovating much of the area as well, including new bear yards (the 3 old yards are being merged into 2, since the Brown Bear boys moved into their new Polar Frontier digs).

In the next few years, the Zoo is set to open a 70+ acre African Savannah and a new Madagascar area.

They are also planning a hotel, indoor waterpark, and expansions to Jungle Jack's Landing and Zoombezi Bay [the latter should bring animal encounters into the waterpark, Jack himself has talked of waterslides going thru a penguin enclosure].

The Zoo has definitely earned their spot as the number 1 zoo in the United States... and has this clever ad to show for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6HusggA8k8

The rides are in the front of the Zoo almost totally separate from the zoo itself.. There is the animal encounters stage but that's it for the animals in Jungle Jacks Landing. The rides cost 8 dollars on top of zoo admission and the waterpark is around 25 bucks it can be pricey however its very well done.

Btw

4613319523_0e0fc4fb11.jpg

Awesome sign

Great PTR.

Am I the only one against installing rides at zoos? It takes away from the atmosphere.

Have you been to the Columbus Zoo? Did you know it has been this way for over 50 years?

Their was originally 2 separate parks. There was the Columbus Zoo and Zoo Park with the latter being a small amusement park. Zoo Park had nothing to do with the Columbus Zoo. In latter days Zoo Park became Wyandot Lake and then became part of Six Flags. Two years ago the Zoo purchased Wyandot Lake and inc operated it into the Zoo. Most of the rides are in a separate area from the animals and in no way affects the atmosphere. The only rides that in the animal area are the Train, the boat ride in the Asia area and the carousel that was once at Olentangy Park.

OK thanks, I never have been to that zoo, but I have been to some zoo's with rides right in the middle of it.

Great PTR.

OK thanks, I never have been to that zoo, but I have been to some zoo's with rides right in the middle of it.

Inside the zoo, you'll find the beautiful and historic Mangles Illinois Carousel, a themed boat ride through The Islands region, and the (very well themed) CP Huntington train ride through the North American exhibits. The other rides are situated in a separate park, Jungle Jack's Landing, which fills the space inbetween the Zoo's main entrance and Zoombezi Bay's main gate.

Here's the Entrance Plaza layout:

zoo.jpg

The orange box is the main gate for the entire complex. This area has ticket booths, concessions, guest services, and a gift shop. The red box is around the main portal into the Zoo. The blue box is the portal/turnstile into Zoombezi Bay. The green box is around (part of) Jungle Jack's Landing.