Cedar Point 2010 Changes

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually about a year ago I was always afraid to ride Diamondback because of how skinny I am! For even a 12 year old, I am VERY underweight. (starts laughing).

Guess what my weight is - 56 pounds......but I am also very short, I think like 4'7.

I hope I'm not alone on this..but when you have to take a "walk of shame" off a roller coaster ( because of weight of course) I think it's time you notice you should hit a treadmill. I personally think it is ridiculous to see that some of you think we need to make seats bigger so "the average american" can ride. For people who are obese, it should motivate them to lose weight. I'm tired of people complaining about seat size when we all can change our diet..

Sorry if that sounded overly rude. tongue.gif

ok yes u did sound overly rude altough ive never takin the walk of shame but my family is made up of big people and i believe the seats and restraints should be bigger ya ya its there fault but some people are naturally big im 6-3 245 and am a little bit big around and im 16 so the average american is growing bigger and they need to adapt now that being said coaster companies dont only deal with us parks so if they make bigger seats they may be to big for average people of other countries

Guest Millennium

Actually about a year ago I was always afraid to ride Diamondback because of how skinny I am! For even a 12 year old, I am VERY underweight. (starts laughing).

Guess what my weight is - 56 pounds......but I am also very short, I think like 4'7.

50 pounds.

50 pounds.

Are you saying you are 50 pounds?

Guest Millennium

You are capable of losing weight. Every one of us is. Now we can make a change. Watch the Biggest Loser. They did it.

It is unfair to us who are at an average weight to have to sit in seats that are unnecessarily wide.

Guest Millennium

50 pounds.

Are you saying you are 50 pounds?

I'm 170 pounds. Please read the posts above.

Guest Millennium

I hope I'm not alone on this..but when you have to take a "walk of shame" off a roller coaster ( because of weight of course) I think it's time you notice you should hit a treadmill. I personally think it is ridiculous to see that some of you think we need to make seats bigger so "the average american" can ride. For people who are obese, it should motivate them to lose weight. I'm tired of people complaining about seat size when we all can change our diet..

Sorry if that sounded overly rude. tongue.gif

ok yes u did sound overly rude altough ive never takin the walk of shame but my family is made up of big people and i believe the seats and restraints should be bigger ya ya its there fault but some people are naturally big im 6-3 245 and am a little bit big around and im 16 so the average american is growing bigger and they need to adapt now that being said coaster companies dont only deal with us parks so if they make bigger seats they may be to big for average people of other countries

No, the average american is in shape. 33% of America isn't fit which means they are in the minority. We should not appeal to that percentage of people when (most of them) have overeaten and not exercised. I think, like one said above, if you can't fit on your favorite ride, it should motivate you to loose weight.

I am blunt so don't take offense, but I am a little shocked at all the flaming.

50 pounds.

Why did you say 50 pounds.......?

Guest Millennium

50 pounds.

Why did you say 50 pounds.......?

I thought you wanted us to guess your weight.

I STILL can't believe the kind people that keep talking about "weight" or "girth" - I started by mentioning torso and boob size. Should my wife have to get a breast reduction just to ride a roller coaster? I don't think so. Even IF there is a test seat WITH a seatbelt that is EXACTLY the same as the ride's, if a person can't fit, why should they bother spending the money to get into the park in the first place?

I am also totally amazed at the amount of "weight loss physicians" that are responding to this thread. If you, and all the REAL weight loss physicians, know so much about how to lose weight, or get "fit", or get thin, or whatever you want to call it, why isn't the ENTIRE world thin, or fit, or whatever you want to call it? If you can't except people for what they are, shame on you! You can't help it if you're not the "perfect size". One does not choose to be "wrong" and I'm so sorry that others have a problem with that.

So yes, it could be like Rosa Parks and the bus thing - she could not change the fact that she was Black, just like I can't change the fact that I am tall - or my wife has big boobs - or that dwarfs are short - or that little children are under 48" tall - or that ride manufacturers don't know how to measure Americans - or that I'm sure to get hate mail for this post. But, I at least displayed my frustrations with some of the people who have posted such hurtful comments about us "big" people.

you are kidding right? You are comparing the disrespect and down right nastyness towards group of people based on skin color as the same as not being able to ride a roller coaster? Hank I thought you were smarter than that. Being black in america, especially during the 40s 50s and 60s and even up to today, meant you could not drink from the same fountains, sit on a bus, eat in a restaurant. It meant that the laws didnt apply to the man when he came to beat you or to throw you around a little bit. Comparing being slightly too tall or too big to ride a roller coaster to being black is not only stupid but its down right insulting, to everyone.

It does not take a weight loss physician to tell someone how to begin to lose weight. Eat healthy, burn more calories than you take in. Thats the basics. If you want a nutritionist who can tailor a diet for you then yes call one. A lot of people across the glove are thin/healthy weight range. In America there is a think called the weight epidemic. America has an issue with kids and adults gaining excessive amounts of weight. This can be attributed to many issues but the biggest is eating empty calories then not doing anything to burn those calories.

I STILL can't believe the kind people that keep talking about "weight" or "girth" - I started by mentioning torso and boob size. Should my wife have to get a breast reduction just to ride a roller coaster? I don't think so. Even IF there is a test seat WITH a seatbelt that is EXACTLY the same as the ride's, if a person can't fit, why should they bother spending the money to get into the park in the first place?

I am also totally amazed at the amount of "weight loss physicians" that are responding to this thread. If you, and all the REAL weight loss physicians, know so much about how to lose weight, or get "fit", or get thin, or whatever you want to call it, why isn't the ENTIRE world thin, or fit, or whatever you want to call it? If you can't except people for what they are, shame on you! You can't help it if you're not the "perfect size". One does not choose to be "wrong" and I'm so sorry that others have a problem with that.

So yes, it could be like Rosa Parks and the bus thing - she could not change the fact that she was Black, just like I can't change the fact that I am tall - or my wife has big boobs - or that dwarfs are short - or that little children are under 48" tall - or that ride manufacturers don't know how to measure Americans - or that I'm sure to get hate mail for this post. But, I at least displayed my frustrations with some of the people who have posted such hurtful comments about us "big" people.

Sorry Hank, I had to chuckle a little about the boob comment tongue.gif, speaking of which Firehawk is definitely not female friendly biggrin.gif.

Anyway, I am not perfect-I'm not 5'7", 130 lbs, 36, 24, 26, etc-and I'm ok with that. I still fit in all the coasters, even though I have gained alot the last 3 years. I dont put anyone down for being big, but thats just me. I am ok with my size and others for who they are, and if no one else likes it, tough. Those that can't accept others for who they are, well, I have no use for that type of shallow viewpoint.

I dont think anyone on here is judging anyone for not being the perfect size. But the general two sides of this argument seems to be : The seats are too small for me and the other side says lose weight.

Look if you are too tall or too short to ride a ride, I am sorry, but there is not much that can be done. If you are too large to ride a roller coaster then well there is something to be done. If you want to ride the rides you will put the time in to make yourself fit. There are many people on these boards who have done that same thing. So it can be done. In men the weight is USUALLY lost the quickest in the lower torso area (stomach upper pelvic region) while on woman they lose weight USUALLY in the upper torso area (breasts back shoulders) first. After than the weight follows based on your body type (pear, round, skinny, etc).

No one was saying if you are big you are a bad person. However one must only look online at many reputable and not so reputable sources to see that the average size of americans has not increased as drastically as some have stated on this board. In 1900 the average height of a weight American male was 5'7". In 2005 the average height was 5'9. Thats an increase of only 2 inches.... Google it yourself if you do not believe me.

The same can not be said because of weight. LBs have been gaining at an alarming rate. Right now Americans on average weigh at least 17 pounds more than what the body should weigh. (Just for comparison I weigh a fit 230 but for my body type I should weigh 170, so I am 60 pounds heavier than I should be...). The reason can be traced again to a changing life style that has people moving from manual labor jobs to more sedimentary jobs. Food has gone from fresh to preserved with high salt contents (the more water you drink the more salt you can flush out and lose weight, fyi)....

If anything I wrote you do not like because it does not fit into your life style I am sorry. If you cant fit in a ride whose fault is it? The manufacturer for making a ride who fits most people or you (again differing reasons). But if you want to ride a ride and can change your life style to do so, what is stopping you?

Because I am giving my honest opinion like everyone else in this thread, I have been warned?

You can't be serious. I am respectful to other posters, and usually don't post if i feel I don't have anything to contribute.

I personally think the 3 click rule is dumb. I would feel 100% safe riding Diamondback with 1 click for that matter. But that is my OPINION.

I think you need remember we live in a free country, and I am entitled to my opinions as much as the next poster. YOU have been warned! .. LMAO.

^ But what about the people that can't fit on Diamondback?

The 3 click rule is dumb.

Think about this: Guests under 48" can't ride Millennium Force and are denied rides to it everyday. Everytime I stand in line I see a kid get denied access (or "take the walk of shame") because he/she isn't tall enough. If these guests can't be given the proper attention by the designers or the park, then why should people who have a large waistline? Both are examples of discrimination, but both have their place because of the safety issue. You shouldn't let a 37" tall kid on Millennium Force just as you shouldn't let someone ride Diamondback after just one click.

I know safety is number 1 in the parks. But there is a thing call "overkill".

I went to Worlds Of Fun 2 weeks ago, and rode Prowler. ( I can see why it was number 1 and DB was number 2 for best new rides in 2009.) I only got 1 click on prowler lap bars. Heck, even on Evil Kneivel (sp?) and Thinderhead I only got one click. I still felt safe.

Also, for the record, Diamondback seats are smaller than seats on older B&M trains.

Sorry if that sounded overly rude. :P

Spoken like someone who fits and always fit the seats designed for the average 170 pound 5 foot 10 inch male.

Terp, who has both fit and not fit those seats...

And funny part is, it's like I posted way back on the second page. I had a friend like that with almost exactly those same stats and he couldn't be belted in on Millennium Force.

Guest Millennium

you are kidding right? You are comparing the disrespect and down right nastyness towards group of people based on skin color as the same as not being able to ride a roller coaster? Hank I thought you were smarter than that. Being black in america, especially during the 40s 50s and 60s and even up to today, meant you could not drink from the same fountains, sit on a bus, eat in a restaurant. It meant that the laws didnt apply to the man when he came to beat you or to throw you around a little bit. Comparing being slightly too tall or too big to ride a roller coaster to being black is not only stupid but its down right insulting, to everyone.

It does not take a weight loss physician to tell someone how to begin to lose weight. Eat healthy, burn more calories than you take in. Thats the basics. If you want a nutritionist who can tailor a diet for you then yes call one. A lot of people across the glove are thin/healthy weight range. In America there is a think called the weight epidemic. America has an issue with kids and adults gaining excessive amounts of weight. This can be attributed to many issues but the biggest is eating empty calories then not doing anything to burn those calories.

Sorry Hank, I had to chuckle a little about the boob comment tongue.gif, speaking of which Firehawk is definitely not female friendly biggrin.gif.

Anyway, I am not perfect-I'm not 5'7", 130 lbs, 36, 24, 26, etc-and I'm ok with that. I still fit in all the coasters, even though I have gained alot the last 3 years. I dont put anyone down for being big, but thats just me. I am ok with my size and others for who they are, and if no one else likes it, tough. Those that can't accept others for who they are, well, I have no use for that type of shallow viewpoint.

I dont think anyone on here is judging anyone for not being the perfect size. But the general two sides of this argument seems to be : The seats are too small for me and the other side says lose weight.

Look if you are too tall or too short to ride a ride, I am sorry, but there is not much that can be done. If you are too large to ride a roller coaster then well there is something to be done. If you want to ride the rides you will put the time in to make yourself fit. There are many people on these boards who have done that same thing. So it can be done. In men the weight is USUALLY lost the quickest in the lower torso area (stomach upper pelvic region) while on woman they lose weight USUALLY in the upper torso area (breasts back shoulders) first. After than the weight follows based on your body type (pear, round, skinny, etc).

No one was saying if you are big you are a bad person. However one must only look online at many reputable and not so reputable sources to see that the average size of americans has not increased as drastically as some have stated on this board. In 1900 the average height of a weight American male was 5'7". In 2005 the average height was 5'9. Thats an increase of only 2 inches.... Google it yourself if you do not believe me.

The same can not be said because of weight. LBs have been gaining at an alarming rate. Right now Americans on average weigh at least 17 pounds more than what the body should weigh. (Just for comparison I weigh a fit 230 but for my body type I should weigh 170, so I am 60 pounds heavier than I should be...). The reason can be traced again to a changing life style that has people moving from manual labor jobs to more sedimentary jobs. Food has gone from fresh to preserved with high salt contents (the more water you drink the more salt you can flush out and lose weight, fyi)....

If anything I wrote you do not like because it does not fit into your life style I am sorry. If you cant fit in a ride whose fault is it? The manufacturer for making a ride who fits most people or you (again differing reasons). But if you want to ride a ride and can change your life style to do so, what is stopping you?

Thank you. You just said everything I've been trying to say.

So if you have to take a walk of shame of a coaster, well that is embarrasing for you. But, that might motivate you to fit on it next time after losing some baggage. Simple as that.

Guest Millennium

I went to Worlds Of Fun 2 weeks ago, and rode Prowler. ( I can see why it was number 1 and DB was number 2 for best new rides in 2009.) I only got 1 click on prowler lap bars. Heck, even on Evil Kneivel (sp?) and Thinderhead I only got one click. I still felt safe.

Also, for the record, Diamondback seats are smaller than seats on older B&M trains.

Well, one goes about 50 mph, and DB goes 80. So it's very different.

okay, maybe this is just my imagination, but i thought at the time of Diamondback's opening a lot of people on this site were talking about how Diamondback's safety systems allowed for people to ride with only two clicks.

did i imagine it, or did the park change over the offseason?

Because I am giving my honest opinion like everyone else in this thread, I have been warned?

You can't be serious. I am respectful to other posters, and usually don't post if i feel I don't have anything to contribute.

I personally think the 3 click rule is dumb. I would feel 100% safe riding Diamondback with 1 click for that matter. But that is my OPINION.

I think you need remember we live in a free country, and I am entitled to my opinions as much as the next poster. YOU have been warned! .. LMAO.

I wouldn't talk back to a staff member if I were you.

^^ The only thing they can do is ban me from the forums. I won't cry over spilled milk.

I will say what others are afraid to say, and if someone doesn't like it, it is THEIR problem not mine.

That wasn't talking back OR having an attitude, but I can if you want me to. I was merely laughing at what was told to me.

The problem with text conversations is you can not HEAR the tone that someone is trying to convey.

Things get read into to deeply here.

Everyone else was giving their opinions, I was giving mine. No harm, no foul.

I don't take ANYONE on this forum seriously, it is just pictures and font.

Furthermore, I never use profanity, slander anyone, or comment on something that doesn't mean anything to me.

Until you meet someone in person, you have NO idea who they are. So to pass judgment based on one's views is wrong. Just because I think the 3 click rule on Diamondback is dumb, does not mean I pan to break any rules at Kings Island. I am merely stating that I feel completely 100% safe in any theme park attraction as long as my restraint LOCKS.

Not really. A ride that goes 50mph could have more safety problems than one that goes 80. Basically, airtime hills. DB has so many airtime hills and is 80mph, so they need to have safer restraints. I don't know about Prowler, but if it doesn't have many airtime hills, it could make a difference.

Guest Millennium

Not really. A ride that goes 50mph could have more safety problems than one that goes 80. Basically, airtime hills. DB has so many airtime hills and is 80mph, so they need to have safer restraints. I don't know about Prowler, but if it doesn't have many airtime hills, it could make a difference.

??? I'm confused what you mean?

^ He's saying that the speed of the ride doesn't make a difference, it's the amount of negative gs, which is all that Diamondback is. It's negative gs from start to finish. And for a ride that has all that airtime, that is that open, and has no seatbelt... more than one click is understandable.

Off-topic yet kinda-sorta-maybe-on-topic with coasters...

Considering two Cedar Fair rides (Prowler and D-Back) were #1 and #2 on the Best New Ride list of '09, does anyone think both Timmys will get #1 and #2 for 2010? Or will The Forbidden Journey of Harry Potter take the top spot and the Timmys get #2 and #3? I know people will get on me because a 300-foot tall coaster (that may, in theory, be better than Millennium Force, but don't tell giga that) would be beat out by a dark ride starring a young wizard. Yet from what I have heard about FJ, I think it may just deserve the top spot just for what it does/can do.

K, off-topic rant over.