KI TR 5/15 - 16 w/ campground info

kerry1150

Hi all, back from a recent trip to KI and Cozy-Dale campground and wanted to post a quick TR.

DW(?!?), DD(7), and myself left norther ohio early sat morning for our trip. The GPS decided it wanted me to take a new route down there, so I followed its directions ... DON'T ALWAYS THINK YOUR GPS KNOWS MORE THAN YOU. All in all not a bad drive except for pulling a camper through every po-dunk (no offense intended) town, village, township in ohio!

We stopped for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel somewhere south of Lima. I was looking very forward to my favorite Grandpa's Fried Breakfast. This was probably the worst experience we have had at this chain. The service was excellent like it had always been, but the food looked and tasted like it was somebodies returned order from an hour ago! Probably won't be looking as forward to going back.

Don't worry, this is not a complaining post ... things are getting ALOT better.

We got down to KI around 11 am with our vouchers in hand. Stopped by the parking booth with the camper, handed them our vouchers, and absolutely no problems. We decided to park out a little ways so that I could easily pull the trailer out, and ended up around Beast 49. We noticed ALOT of busses in the lot, but did not think much of it.

After the longer than average walk up to the gate(I miss the trams!), we found a line for season pass processing ... great! This went extremely fast, and we were only in line around 15 min.

We were in the park by about 11:45. DD measured in at about 48 1/2", so she wasn't sure if she wanted to goto Planet Snoopy or "big girl rides". She finally decided on bigger rides, so we headed for Flight Deck. Appx. 20 min wait, but she loved it! Then to one of DW's favorites, Adventure Express. Great ride, but DD wanted nothing to do with the last hill. Scrambler ... Shake Rattle & Roll ... then off to Stunt Coaster. Posted as a 60 min wait, but decided to do it anyway. Great ride, DD liked the take off, but not the "fire". It was a warm day, so DD wanted to go on the log flume ... so away we went. Luckily we were just getting in line when they shut down.

DD decided it was time to go back to the truck to get a snack and rest for awhile. Unfortunately, she decided once we were there that she didn't feel real good, and just wanted to go to the campgrounds and relax.

So (being the disappointed loving father that I am), we headed out to Lake Cozy-Dale Campground. We normally stay at Cedar Brook, but since I was only planning on sleeping at the campground, I figured we would give this a try.

All in all a very nice place to stay. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Very nice seasonal people, and some nice temps. This is primarily a fishing place. There is not alot of things to keep children occupied. They do have a playground, and were putting in a pool while we were there. They do sell "real" firewood for around $5 for 8 pieces (pretty good deal for most places). Wild life is kinda cool ... I saw a flock of "Turkey Vulchars" (so they called them). They are huge and fly! DD made friends with a family of geese, and I'm thinking a few people ate some fish! All in all, I'm thinking if I am going to primarily go to KI and sleep and the camper then I would definetly return, if I am primarily going camping and visiting KI, then I would go to Cedar Brook.

Sunday morning, got up and packed up camp. Started heading towards KI. I told DW to find somewhere to go for breakfast, she punched it in the GPS and we were off. Ate at Big Boy just down from the park. Good food, decent price, and great service. I wanted to be at the park by 9:15 so that I wouldn't miss ERT, so I was watching the clock on the bank (or whatever it was next door). It said 9:05, so we hurriedly finished our coffee and headed out. When we got to the truck, the clock said 9:23, and that stupid clock still said 9:08. Great I'm going to miss DB!

Got to the park, parked, and was at the gate by 9:29 (no clue how!) This was the beginning of the second most incredible day I have ever had at KI!

Gates opened, not as much security as what I remember from a couple years ago. Flash our passes at the attendant inside the park, and off to Diamond Back. DD & DW know they have to keep up.

Walked on first time with another single rider. This ride is extremely unnerving, very little restraint, awesome view, and fast. Probably my 4th favorite at KI. PS whats up with the splash down?,just for chickens watching?

Anyway, back on within a few minutes and sat in the 2nd row. Not much difference from 2nd to way back .. still an awesome view!

Now 9:55 ... park opens in a few minutes, quick smoke and let breakfast settle after DB.

No line for Linus Launcher,so DD went on that twice. No line for Kite Eating Tree, so we all rode that. No line for Flying Ace, so we got on that twice. Tried to get on Avatar, but it was closed. Went up to woodstock express, and waited about 5 min. DD was not as thrilled after she went on some bigger coasters.

DD decided it was time for bigger rides, so we headed back to her favorite ... Flight Deck. After a healthy walk, we walk right on. Trip 1, nobody in line, so we ride again. After lap 4 DW decides we have had enough. Time for AE.

2 laps on AE without getting off and DD being scared was enough for me, so we headed for RACER. I know the park was slow that day, but it kinda ticked me off that they were only running one side of RACER. I mean come on, taunting the other train is alot of the fun on the ride. DD rode racer once and was not overly impressed.

Off to spinny rides while I chill out for a few. DW&DD done coney island while I checked out wait for FH, said 60 min, but I doubt it was that long ... should have waited!

Getting close to time to head back north, so we asked everyone what they wanted to do. DW ... Stunt Coaster. DD ... Log Flume, MS gave another choice to DD ... ET.

Stunt Coaster ... 10 min wait at 1 pm. DD really didn't want to ride, but after the first trip she wanted to go again. Totaly of 3 trip and 25 min later we are off to the log flume.

This ride totaly disappointed me. They didn't do anything with the theming at the beginning, and took down eveything during the ride. At least paint the tube so it does not look so run down if that is all you have to look at!

ET, and back on the road.

Had a blast and counting the days to first trip to Kings Dominion!