Coney Island Coupons

CoastersRZ

For those of you in the Cincinnati area that get the Super Shopper magazine (full of coupons), Coney Island is pictured on the front cover. A couple of pages in, there are some coupons for admission to Coney.

Save $3 on classic rides admission (just $8.95) or save $5 on Pool and Rides Admission (just $16.95) or save $3 on Pool admission (just $8.95). Prices not valid after 4pm, or for those 4 and under. Each coupon is valid for up to four admissions and is valid for the entire 2010 operating season.

Coney Island opens for its 125th operating season as it celebrates its 124th anniversary season on Saturday, May 29th. Sunlite Pool is open 10am-8pm all three days that weekend. Coney`s Classic Rides are open 11am-8pm Memorial Day weekend. And for anyone wondering, yes, I will be working most of that weekend at Coney.

An interesting thing to note in that ad is that it does not once mention "Coney has it!" It does, however, state "Share the good times at Cincinnati`s only historic amusement park."

Yes, I had to do a double take when I saw that they said "Cincinnati`s only historic amusement park." But remember, that Kings Island is only thirty eight years old this year (in its 39th operating season). So Coney being 124 years old and in its 125 season does mean that it has been around quite a bit longer than Kings Island. In fact, Coney has been around more than three times longer than KI has been in existence!

Well, the park did change hands quite often in its early years. http://www.coneyisla...om/timeline.php

But it was a family run business from 1924 when Rud Hynicka and George F. Schott purchased the park. The Schott/Wachs family would continue to own the park until it was sold to Taft broadcasting in 1969. From that point on, Taft owned Coney. With Carl Lindner`s eventual purchase of Taft through one of his many companies. He eventually sold Coney for $3.8 million to Ronald Walker, a long time friend of Linder in 1991. Walker passed away unexpectedly in 1997. The park to this today is still owned by Brenda Walker (she owns Park River Corp. which owns Coney Island Inc. as well as Leisure Systems, Inc. Which owns and franchises the Jellystone Campgrounds) the wife of the late Ron Walker. So Coney has remained under essentially the same ownership group now for 19 years. And, the current President and general manager of Coney has been in that role since 1984!!

History lesson of the day is over now.

An interesting thing to note in that ad is that it does not once mention "Coney has it!" It does, however, state "Share the good times at Cincinnati`s only historic amusement park."

Seems to me this is a combat for Kings Island's "Fun and Only" campaign. Coney Island's marketing team might be trying to get people to think whenever they see a Kings Island ad, "Kings Island is not the 'fun' and only... What about Coney Island?" I suppose this works both ways... Some people might see a Coney ad and think, "What about King Island?"

This is a very clever move. (If, of course, I'm not thinking this too far out.)

Edit ^

I suppose Americana was not profitable during the Park River Corporation Era? What's the point of being angry at Mr. Couch? He closed and then tried to sell an amusement park that was losing money. I would do the same thing. (I know he did screw up Americana's marketing, but still...)