Internet

Purplehaze

I actually asked this question on the 5 at 5 about a month ago. I forget the exact response, but it essentially was that they are considering installing WiFi and other technologies like that. They had a meeting in the spring about the feasibility of doing such a thing. But as of right now, there is no WiFi in the park.

And given Cedar Fair`s inclination for charing nickels for stuff, I`d venture to say that a park wide WiFi system would NOT be free to park guests. They likely would be able to use it, for a nominal fee.

If they do install park-wide wifi, then insist on charging guests for it, they'd likely take it out again due to "lack of interest" from guests, as very few people would be willing to pay for wifi these days, and CF would end up spending more on it than they were making...

What's the point of having wifi? Who brings a laptop to the park? I would think that people will just use their phones as that seems to be the way to go these days.

Yes, and many of today's phones can tap into wifi... See also, the iPod Touch, which is a widely owned device... And consider that not everyone at Kings Island comes for the rides. Mom and dad may very well just want to sit down at the exit of Firehawk (where their kids will be waiting in line for an hour and a half) and do more than twiddle their thumbs.

At the very least, it would be great to have wifi at Boomerang Bay. They have it on the beach at Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, and though I've not done it yet, it sounds really ideal to me to lay out in a reclining chair on the beach and play on my computer. I have a Platinum Pass and I live 20 minutes away, so why can't I go hangout at the waterpark with my computer? Sounds ideal, right? I think it would be great at Boomerang Bay.

What's the point of having wifi? Who brings a laptop to the park? I would think that people will just use their phones as that seems to be the way to go these days. . .

Like yellowkorn says, a lot of phones and other mobile devices have wi-fi capabilities. I was wondering about wi-fi availability myself because I was thinking of streaming some video from my BlackBerry. Streaming over 3G is painful -- like watching a slide show.

What's the point of having wifi? Who brings a laptop to the park? I would think that people will just use their phones as that seems to be the way to go these days.

"Internet"? You couldn't come up with a more definitive title than that?

Was too the point wasn't it? And yes as life and tech progresses it should be an available feature at the park. After some quick research there evidently is not going to be wifi in the near future. I would love to have wifi access in the park i would bring my ipad to work from.

Pagoda Gift Shop, it is not all about going to ride rides. I love the atmosphere of KI and go to the park many many times through out the year.

I don't disagree that people would use it in some fashion if it existed. I think having it at a single location, like Starbucks, is not a bad idea. But KI wants you to walk around and spend money, not sit and use the internet. This is the reason Disney has given as to why they have been less than enthusiastic about adding wifi to their hotels.

"Internet"? You couldn't come up with a more definitive title than that?

I'm sure the park could advertise having wifi, even going on to saying Tower Gardens is a wonderfully peaceful place to finish your term paper or whatever...

Seriously, things like this are awesome when convincing people to come to your park. KI's management just has to think outside the box.

I'm sure the park could advertise having wifi, even going on to saying Tower Gardens is a wonderfully peaceful place to finish your term paper or whatever...

As long as you're willing to breathe in the second hand smoke while you write that term paper...laugh.gif

I am, I smoke.lol

Installing WiFi access for guests at the park will not be cheap period. The hardware will cost a fortune plus the bandwidth will cost lots of dollars. Expect this, if it happen, to be a perk that will cost the guest to use it. Just like any business, before it happens, they will do a cost benifit study.

Pagoda Gift Shop, it is not all about going to ride rides. I love the atmosphere of KI and go to the park many many times through out the year.

But ultimately, when you go to KI, the main thing you do is ride rides. I can say with confidence that 95% of people in the park on a given day aren't there to walk around and soak in atmosphere. And when the GP thinks of KI, they think rides, not, "Oh that show is so great, we just HAVE to see it!"

But ultimately, when you go to KI, the main thing you do is ride rides. I can say with confidence that 95% of people in the park on a given day aren't there to walk around and soak in atmosphere. And when the GP thinks of KI, they think rides, not, "Oh that show is so great, we just HAVE to see it!"

That is all matter of opinion. Rides are a big part of the situation however not all. My parents who are in their late 70's still go to the park "A lot". Wait till walmart opens shop at the park. HA! :)

Me also chaddie. I live within 10 minutes of the park so I go a lot. I do not wait more than 30 minutes for any ride. Maybe if I lived further away and only had visits once or twice a year i would have a different outlook.

If you are ever bored and need a ride partner, message me :) I am always looking for someone to ride with during the week :)

You know...I would bring my laptop to the park. I have teenage children who are able to enjoy the park responsibly alone now and I don't always feel like hiking around or having to ride everything all the time. Just this past Saturday, my Wife and I allowed our Son to roam the park with his HS band friends and I truly enjoyed just sitting, walking and watching people and the show at International street. My wife has difficulty walking on somedays and it takes all she has to make it from the parking lot to the front gate and as it's not fair for everyone to suffer and not come to KI, so, she comes and I sit with her here and there for an hour and we move to somewhere different to change the scene. I rode the DB at close and was VERY satisfied with my day. I also am in school again and would consider bringing the kids to KI during the Summer to study and have access to the Wi-Fi would help me spend more time in my studies while everyone enjoys the park.

You know...I would bring my laptop to the park. I have teenage children who are able to enjoy the park responsibly alone now and I don't always feel like hiking around or having to ride everything all the time. Just this past Saturday, my Wife and I allowed our Son to roam the park with his HS band friends and I truly enjoyed just sitting, walking and watching people and the show at International street. My wife has difficulty walking on somedays and it takes all she has to make it from the parking lot to the front gate and as it's not fair for everyone to suffer and not come to KI, so, she comes and I sit with her here and there for an hour and we move to somewhere different to change the scene. I rode the DB at close and was VERY satisfied with my day. I also am in school again and would consider bringing the kids to KI during the Summer to study and have access to the Wi-Fi would help me spend more time in my studies while everyone enjoys the park.

Kudos

Many, many times of late, dealing with what I am, I find solace in parks. I have:

*Gone to Cedar Point...ridden one coaster once, the train five times, walked around watching a certain CEO of a major park chain, and left...having escaped my troubles for a while and been happy...in a very crowded park.

* Gone to Kings Island numerous times lately...on one visit I rode Diamondback...once.

On another, I watched it rain, watched park evacuation procedures, spent a good hour and a half in a coaster station watching it rain, rode Boo Blasters on Boo Hill (before the deluge began), and watched the park close early...and left.

* Went to Holiday World. Rode Voyage. Walked around. Ate. Ate some more. And left.

* Went to Camden Park. Walked around. Rode the new ride. Rode the Skyliner. Left.

* Went to Camden Park another time. Ran into enthusiasts from New York State. Rode the coasters with them. Excused myself. And left.

Parks are a heck of a lot more than just rides. As I grow older, I find them a place of introspection and of comfort.

That all being said, I doubt I'd use wifi in a park. I don't even take a cellphone in!