Short First Visit 5/21

Delirium13

I finally bought my pass this past week, and after only getting to visit once last year because of not having one, I was itching to get to the park, even just for a little bit. So yesterday I decided I go up to get my pass processed and walk around for a little bit. I left for the park around 11 and got there about a half hour later and saw an empty parking lot, which made me extremely excited... until I noticed the huge mess of school buses in the far end of the lot. I was then quickly reminded that it was a Math and Science day, but I wouldn't let that get me down.

I got my pass processed, quickly and painlessly, but did notice that the people next to me were having a problem, and the worker couldn't find a supervisor to fix the problem. The people were in there before I was and I was gone before the problem was resolved so I don't know how that ended. Just seems like there should be a supervisor there at all times. But I got my pass and headed into the park.

International Street looked fantastic with the new pavers, only thing missing was the music. I also liked how the flags looked as well. I decided to head towards Diamondback, but walked through Planet Snoopy first, it looks great! Far exceeded my expectations, and the kids seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

Once I got to Diamondback I decided I take advantage of the Single-Rider line since I had the chance to, went straight passed a long line and right up to the station, I was on in about 10-15 minutes. I sat in the back row of the second last train. The ride was absolutely amazing, I can only imagine what it's like in the very back. Seemed like I was out of my seat for the majority of the ride. It was nice to be back riding roller coasters!

Next I made my way to BLSC, mainly out of curiosity since I hadn't ridden since the name change, and to see the trains. While waiting in line, a group of kids cut through the grass by the bathrooms and tried to cut into line, I was happy to see that no one let them in and they gave up and left, still it's just really irritating that people can be that self-centered. I also noticed that the speed limit sign that says 100 something (For a Mini) is still there despite the licensing problems. I overheard a kid talking to his friend about the splashdown, and when they got to the point in line where they could see that there was no water, the kid assumed they were going to fill it up later in the season. I however noticed that the old things that shot out the water to make the "splash" were removed basically solidifying the fact that the water won't be coming back, which is sad. People do notice that these effects that used to be there are now gone and it's just a shame that they don't even fill up the water, something so small that made a difference for that ride. The trains looked bad, but not as bad as they did in the pictures I had seen.

Onto the ride, the launch on that thing sure does pack a punch for being only 40 miles per hour, it was very fun. As we drove through, the police car lights weren't working, which wasn't all that big of a deal, but things got worse. The helicopter scene was completely off. We sat there for how long it would've taken and all we could do is look around at what was once the best part of the ride. The second launch was good once again and the tunnel was great. I don't know if it was just the day, but I really hope that that isn't how the ride is going to be all season, it was bad. On a positive note, the crew was doing a good job of keeping the line moving.

After Backlot, I decided to cheer myself up by going to the ride that people have been did see it's theming improve, Adventure Express. By then it began to rain and I got on the last train they sent out of the station. Adventure Express was running great and the final tunnel was fantastic! Kudos to Kings Island on giving the ride some much needed love, it's great. Now only if they could give BLSC's theming the same treatment. (I'd say the same about the Crypt, but that's a lost cause)

When I got off, all the outdoor rides had closed down so I decided to try out Boo Blasters. Other than the queue area, the ride is a great improvement (I rode without 3D glasses, but a lot of people did seem to be buying them). The skeleton part was creepy but I liked it, and driving through Boocifer was really cool as well. I miss Scooby, but this is an improvement! A great ride.

The rain had let up by then so I decided to give Diamondback another ride. This time around I encountered a few problems in the single rider. First, there were a lot of groups, large groups. Then there was a group of kids who were line jumping to get to their friends in the front of the line, someone finally stopped them and after they tried arguing with the guy, they gave up and started asking people in the regular line, who had been waiting for a long time to get to the point they were in line, if they could cut in front of them. Everyone they asked said no and the kids finally left. But the problems didn't end. When the employee working the line needed a single rider, two of the girls that were in front of me went and got in line for a row together, when only one should've left. The employee walked over to them like he was going to do something but didn't. I felt bad for the employee though because of all the people he had to deal with, he did stop two kids from doing the same thing a few people before the two girls, so he was doing a good job, just let those two slip through the cracks. Another great ride on Diamondback though.

By then it was getting to be around 3:00 and I had to leave the park soon, but I decided to get a ride on Flight Deck first. A very short wait, but the ride really does look forgotten, the employees working the ride also seemed very bored, it's a pretty bad atmosphere in the rides station, but the ride was running great as usual. The Son of Beast Perimeter Surveillance or whatever it was logo has been removed from the tunnel in the queue line/ exit as well, I'm not sure if this was done when the new trains were put on or what, just thought it was worth mentioning.

I left Flight Deck and headed for LaRosa's on International Street to get something to eat before leaving. The staff was friendly up until I got to the cash register. The girl working the register just stared at me when I set my food down, and said nothing. She just kind of sat, didn't start ringing it in or anything so I said "This is all". She then began to look around the counter to see if I was hiding anything, I held up my hands, showing they were empty, but I was insulted. She finally actually said something to me to inform me that my 2 pieces of pizza and my drink were going to cost me $10.20, ridiculous. I took my food and ate it by the fountains. The pizza tasted great, just as good as it would've at a LaRosa's outside the park, maybe a little better I think. It had more sauce, more cheese, and the pepperonis where on top (all things you can order at LaRosa's, but not how the pizzas usually come. I'm not sure why I like my pepperonis better on top of the cheese than below, I just do :P ).

A few observations/conclusions I've made during the day:

-I'm probably going to avoid Math and Science Days in the future, it was crowded and all the line jumping and a few other instances of questionable behavior I saw, were all by kids on their field trip.

-I'm really excited to see how Starlight Experience turns out, they were working on it the whole time I was there. Not sure I'm a fan of how all the lights and stuff look during the day, but I'm sure it'll all be worth it at night. B)

-All the employees, except the one at the register in LaRosa's were friendly and doing a great job.

-Adventure Express looks great, Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight Deck do not.

-The park was very clean.

-I miss area-specific music in the park. The same music playing throughout the park and in most of the ride's lines (Adventure Express being one of the exceptions, just doesn't work well for me. I'm not positive but I think the music in Planet Snoopy was different which is good, but still the music playing in line for Top Gun Flight Deck and in the Action Zone should not be playing on International Street.

Overall it was a great first visit to the park, I can't wait to get back a lot more this year!

Edit - Just noticed I called Flight Deck, Top Gun... Just a Freudian Slip ;)

I wish that Buddy LaRosa would inspect the LaRosa's located in the park and make sure they meet his exact standards his pizza outlets are required to meet outside the park. Before he allows his name to be on his product, the sauce, cheese, pepperoni and sausage MUST be the same in and outside the park. If you order one of his pies be it in or outside the park, the pie must be the same. Otherwise it would just be a pizza pie with his brand of sauce and nothing else. Ever count the number of pepperoni on each slice? His pies have the cheese on top of the toppings and not on top. Also, the cheese is provolone. The pies in the King's Island Taft era were way much better. Now would you go to Kroger's and buy Chef-boy-r-dee's ready to cook pizza and put his sauce on it and call it LaRosa's pizza? I don't blame you on complaining about the slice of pizza (other than the price).

BLSC helicopter scene and police car lights were working tonight.

As for the LaRosa's Pizza - I was told once (can't say I know this to be factual, but it makes sense) that at places where they serve it cafeteria style (people pick up their own - like at KI), that they intentionally flip the toppings/cheese order to make it more obvious for people to see what they are getting.

^ That would make sense to me.

^^ And as I was waiting in line at the LaRosa's I was looking back in the kitchen area and it looked fairly similar to the kitchen of the LaRosa's I work at. I also think it had the same instruction sheets on the walls, which tell how much cheese, sauce, etc. goes on the pizza. And LaRosa's does have people who go to locations, such as Kings Island or Great American Ball Park, to make sure they are making the food to the company's standards.

And Mr. LaRosa was at the grand re-opening of the International Street location. He watched as slices of pizza were given to the media attendees, and he bought the pizza for the first family in line. The pizza that day was no different than any other day...though the slices were larger back then...in the Paramount Parks days.

After working on Top Gun (back in Paramount era, I'm allowed!) for a season, I can tell you why the ride ops looked bored: Because they were. Even when SOB was open, and there was a shift back and forth from those two rides, the Gun crew seemed to be almost forgotten, and it made for painfully long days.

After working on Top Gun (back in Paramount era, I'm allowed!) for a season, I can tell you why the ride ops looked bored: Because they were. Even when SOB was open, and there was a shift back and forth from those two rides, the Gun crew seemed to be almost forgotten, and it made for painfully long days.

I figured that was the reason, and you can't really blame them. The station is almost completely gray and that ride does seem to be forgotten, it is so far on the outskirts of the park. And now this year with all the Top Gun theming taken out (I know there wasn't much, but still) and Son of Beast being closed it must be no fun. It just seems so cut off from the park, it needs some care because it's really a fun ride.