Proposal Ideas?

cholderfield

Hey KICers! Haven't posted in awhile, school and work have been keeping me very busy! I've managed to keep up on the "new content" and hope to soon join discussions (school's almost over for the quarter and I'm taking the summer off).

Anywho...I'm trying to figure out the best way to propose to my girlfriend :D. We both really like Kings Island, so I thought it may be a nice idea. Any suggestions as to where, when, etc. while in the park? Let me know what you all think!

So awesome! Congrats! Now, if it were 2006 or earlier, I would suggest the waterfall in the Tower Gardens. As it is, I'm not sure... I feel like the Eiffel Tower wouldn't be as romantic as it sounds, what with the kids running around the deck and popcorn and drinks spilled everywhere... hah! I'm sure people will offer great suggestions - maybe near the Royal Fountains?

I imagine that if you did come up with something that the park could help you with (having a ring delivered at the sit-down restaurant... oh, wait) they would help out... Just a thought, maybe go to the park beforehand by yourself and look for a good spot. For example, Coney Mall might be beautiful at night, lit by all the classic carnival lights. Then again, it may be sort of junky and dark... Things that sound romantic might not be in real life (like I said, the Eiffel Tower). I'd definitely head in one evening when the park is open til 10 and just sort of walk around for an hour brainstorming! :D

OHHH I have a cute idea :)

If it isn't busy, you should go up to the ride op and tell them your plan, and then let just the two of you up in the tower. Then you can propose to her at the top!

Or.. you could propose to her right in front of the KI sign in front of the Royal Fountains..

or.. you could wait until Starlight Experience is all lit up at night, and then pick that moment :)

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if my guy whipped out a ring on the lift hill of one of my favorite coasters, but that's just me, I'm crazy!

Good luck and congratulations! :)

Guest Millennium

Why don't you put it in her Frostie like that one guy...LOL! But I would talk to the ride operator before and tell them to hand over the ring while they are checking restraints...then drop the question!

This sounds like an old timer talking here but be very careful about proposing in large areas.... it always seems to work best in the movies and in the minds eye but in reality it can be very messy.

Here are a few tips from a guy who proposed to his fiance over a year ago....

AVOID:

anywhere the ring could be lost - if you go to the eifel tower be prepared you may drop the ring. Same thing on a ride or having another human deliver the ring....

Dont let someone else do your job. Make sure you have the ring when you pop the question.

Avoid a large group staring. It may be cute but you may be putting extra pressure on her.

DO:

Speak from the heart.

Be sincere

Be open to cry (hey its a huge moment for the both of you)

Have fun and be honest

Ask the question if you know (or have a 99% sure idea) that she will say yes.

Not trying to rain on your parade but just giving some helpful hints. I thought it would be great to propose on a lift hill but all you need to do is drop the ring in the seat or have it fall off her finger :(

If you must do it at KI (does KI hold a special place for the two of you, or do you both just enjoy the park?) make it a special spot for the two of you. Did you ever have a wonderful moment where you knew she was the one? Did you two have a first kiss near a ride? That sort of thing. Just remember that after you propose, and she says yes (we hope ;) ), she will want to call everyone and anyone. Her friends, family, family friends, etc. She will be so excited she will not be interested in the park.

Either way congrats and let us know what you do....

shark6495 has a very insightful post. Yes, there are at least three possible answers to a proposal. Asking the question in a confined or very public space could possibly have disastrous consequences. The three most probable possible answers:

* Yes! YES! (not a problem here).

* NOT IN A MILLION YEARS, CREEP...or some lighter variation thereof.

* Maybe some day but not now. I'm not ready.

Answer two could be very difficult for you if you are enclosed in a ride for two to five minutes after it. It could also be bad in a very public place. It could also possibly result in icy silence until the ending or a more private place is found.

Asking the question in a very public place could make a yes after answer three take a much, much longer time...or delay it forever.

Just thoughts....

If you need to ask people over the internet on how to propose, then you don't need to get married. :wacko:

Umm..first of all, I'm just collecting ideas...I feel like I have a hundred in my head (and not all have Kings Island in them)...I was just seeking feedback...Secondly, I don't see how me asking for suggestions means I don't need to get married...Now if I was asking, "hey should I Get married to this woman?" - that may be another story....

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions...some of them are ideas I've thought of (ie. Royal Fountain) and some I haven't...

Asking the question in a confined or very public space could possibly have disastrous consequences. The three most probable possible answers...

Thanks for the advice on this one Terpy, however this is something we've discussed and we're both ready for. It won't be so much of a surprise to her that I'm proposing, more so of the time and place. That's why I was considering Kings Island, because its a place we both enjoy. If I took her to a fancy restaurant, she would be expecting it - so I'm looking for something that can still be romantic yet spontaneous at the same time, if that makes any sense.

Again, thanks everyone! Once the time comes I'll let you all know!!

So awesome! Congrats! Now, if it were 2006 or earlier, I would suggest the waterfall in the Tower Gardens. As it is, I'm not sure...

On a separate note, I hate what has happened to this part of the park...It's almost depressing to walk through that section now.

I can speak from experience on this one, as I proposed to Mrs. Gator at Kings Island...

We knew we were going to get married, so we went ring shopping together. She picked out the one she liked, and I took it home until the day I popped the question. She didn't know when or where I was going propose, but I knew...

We were going to KI with friends (who were in on it), and I had everything all worked out. I was going to propose at the top of the Eiffel Tower with the fireworks going off.

The day of, Mrs. Gator-to-be and our friends came to my house to pick me up. She saw the ring box on my dresser and wanted to look at it. I refused and told her she had to wait until I proposed. Little did she know that the ring wasn't in the box, it was in my pocket. I had taken it out to throw her off.

All day, I kept checking on the ring to make sure it was still there. I had it in a secure pocket, but I couldn't help myself.

It came to the end of the day, and Mrs. Gator-to-be wanted to get a sundae. We went to the Depot Sundae Shop in Rivertown, and she and one of our friends sat and finished their ice cream. I kept looking at my watch. We had to get going if my plan was to work out.

We made our way to the Eiffel Tower, and as we were passing the Antique cars I saw the elevator go up. I had a sinking feeling that it was the last one before fireworks. When we got to the base of the tower I asked the ride op if that was the last one, and sure enough, it was. Our friend Heather (who had set Mrs. Gator-to-be and I up on a semi-blind date, but that's another story) asked me "So now where's the best spot to see the fireworks?" with a smile on her face.

I had to think quickly, so we booked it up to the front of the park. When we got to the front of the fountains, I handed my camera to one of my friends and we didn't have to wait to long for the fireworks to start. As soon as they did, I got down on my knee and proposed. Mrs. Gator-to-be said yes (which I pretty much knew - or hoped - she would, since she picked out the ring!). I got up, and she practically tackled me she hugged me so hard. Quite a few people around us came up and congratulated us.

We got some great pictures during the whole thing, with the fountains and the fireworks in the background. (One of these years I'm going to get around to scanning in all of my old KI pics and putting them on here, and when I do these will be included. This was back in 1996, in the days of film and before the age of digital storing of photographs!) We were married a little over a year later.

Sorry this was so long, but it's the first time I've told that story on here!

• Like 3

Guest rcfreak339

How about on top of the Tower during the fireworks (as gator said)? I aways thought that would be the perfect place for something like that.

Thanks for the nice comments. From time to time I'll tease Mrs. Gator about just having to stop for that sundae and ruining my plans!laugh.gif

We continued the theme parks theme on the honeymoon with stops at Busch Gradens Tampa, Epcot, and Universal Studios. At Universal, we ate at this nice table service restaurant (I just looked on their website to find the name of it, but I can't find it so it must no longer be there or changed names... it was 13 years ago!). Mrs. Gator mentioned to our server that we were on our honeymoon, and they comped our meal! I totally didn't expect that, but it was very much appreciated!