KI closed early..?

gigacoaster2k

Last night, I headed down to KI after work knowing that there would be possible thunderstorms. I've never let weather stop me from going to a park, so off I went. Once I got there, everything was closed due to thunder. I ended up stuck in Racer's station for over 2 hours while rain sheeted down and lightning flashed way too close and thunder snapped and banged. If that wasn't enough, the tornado sirens went off. Shortly after that, an announcement came over the intercom that KI was closing for the evening (2.5 hours early). Once the crowds started heading toward the gate, the sun came out. I can't tell you how many people were absolutely livid that this happened, and I won't repeat what I heard from people exiting the park, some even saying they weren't coming back.

I was beyond disappointed. This has never happened to me in the years and years I've been visiting the park. For the record, the weather was crystal clear for the rest of the night.

Did KI close yesterday due to the combination of a tornado warning and there being kids in the park due to a math/science day, for their safety? Or did it close just because there were storms? Maybe even just because it was raining so hard?

If KI is going to start closing the entire park early for inclement weather alone, that will drastically reduce the number of times I will be visiting this year.. I live an hour away and would like to know if these sudden closures are going to start happening on a regular basis, or if it is a new policy. I understand if there are tornadoes, but just a passing thunderstorm is not going to be enough reason for people to stay away from KI.

Please don't chastise me for going due to bad weather. We are all enthusiasts and we all understand that weather like that means an empty park for us. In most cases, bad weather passes after a short while, which this time it did not, and there was no way I would have been able to predict that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know that i live an hour south of the park, and it stormed basically the whole night through, my guess was that the park saw a break in the storms and decided to let the park guest have the chance to get to their vehicles before the next round of storms came through, but on a side note, i don't see this becoming a more regular thing, unless this summer is full of harsh storms.

Last night, I headed down to KI after work knowing that there would be possible thunderstorms. I've never let weather stop me from going to a park, so off I went. Once I got there, everything was closed due to thunder. I ended up stuck in Racer's station for over 2 hours while rain sheeted down and lightning flashed way too close and thunder snapped and banged. If that wasn't enough, the tornado sirens went off. Shortly after that, an announcement came over the intercom that KI was closing for the evening (2.5 hours early). Once the crowds started heading toward the gate, the sun came out. I can't tell you how many people were absolutely livid that this happened, and I won't repeat what I heard from people exiting the park, some even saying they weren't coming back.

I was beyond disappointed. This has never happened to me in the years and years I've been visiting the park. For the record, the weather was crystal clear for the rest of the night.

Did KI close yesterday due to the combination of a tornado warning and there being kids in the park due to a math/science day, for their safety? Or did it close just because there were storms? Maybe even just because it was raining so hard?

If KI is going to start closing the entire park early for inclement weather alone, that will drastically reduce the number of times I will be visiting this year.. I live an hour away and would like to know if these sudden closures are going to start happening on a regular basis, or if it is a new policy. I understand if there are tornadoes, but just a passing thunderstorm is not going to be enough reason for people to stay away from KI.

Please don't chastise me for going due to bad weather. We are all enthusiasts and we all understand that weather like that means an empty park for us. In most cases, bad weather passes after a short while, which this time it did not, and there was no way I would have been able to predict that.

I specifically went for the same exact reason and i live about the same distance (45 minutesish from beavercreek/fairborn), and was VERY dissapointed (I arrived at 7:25 and it closed by the time we got to the turnstiles). I asked the question on the 5@5 but i dont expect an answer. I did wait around 30 minutes at guest services to ask that very question, and got a generic its for the safety of the guests mumbo jumbo. I asked why this was when their website states that the rides may close, not that the park may close early. They just said it was because another storm was on its way, but that just seems like a load of crap. Of course as a season passholder, they offered us absolutely nothing, as well... so i was out around 10 bucks in gas thanks to this, and once again i didnt get to get a night beast ride. I just have a feeling that this may be more common, it has already started last year with the Thursday haunts and now closing early. If this were today, this would not have even been considered, and THAT is my issue. I almost exclusively o on inclement weather days to avoid lines, and was more than disappointed they did this.

I'd say that tornado sirens going off would be a rather good reason to close...

ive been there before on a day when the tornado sirens went off around 8 or so,and they still opened up the park once everything was clear. and it was NOT a crowded day, it was like a thursday in mid june.... of course it was still under paramount ownership that year....

At least it's not as bad as Thursdays during Haunt. They easily could've opened up the park but due to cold temperatures it was closed.

it was definately NOT due to cold temperatures. it was rainy the first time, and supposed to be rainy the second time, and they would have lost money due to extremely low attendance. period. I planned to go both times, and was very disappointed then but i dealt with it because at least they told us beforehand. This time was once it was already open... they didnt even bother to change the sign yesterday...

well, they were in the middle of evacuating a full park, i think changing the words read on a sign was the last thing they were thinking about.:)

They have done it before... when SOB opened on July 4th, 2007 they put it on the park sign... It probably doesnt take but one person and 5 minutes to change it... I just think they dont want to put up anything negative there.

that was a planned opening, they knew Son of Beast was opening that day, last night was a decision that was made after the park had opened, i promise you they were more worried about getting all the park guest out as quickly and safely as possible than what a sign said.

that was a planned opening, they knew Son of Beast was opening that day, last night was a decision that was made after the park had opened, i promise you they were more worried about getting all the park guest out as quickly and safely as possible than what a sign said.

while you may be right about them worrying more about closing the park down ( i dont buy the safety reasons) Son of Beast opening on July 4th was not planned. I remember someone asking that specific question and them saying that it was just coincidence that it was ready on that day, and that they had done extensive testing to make sure it was running how they liked it before reopening it.

It was not clear the rest of the night. It stormed off and on til about 11 last night.

I just realized that I didn't see that the weather was clear last night. I went with Tom (Tom76257), Nick (DropZone99), and Zach (UnrealSk8r) to LaRosa's in Mason, and we didn't leave the restaurant until after 11 pm. We were nowhere near a window.. I suppose I lost track of time. My bad on that one. :(

I'd say that tornado sirens going off would be a rather good reason to close...

I have a feeling its a policy to close for the day if a tornado siren is set off.

Could be wrong though!

definately not. it is policy to take people to shelters. as i have stated before in this very topic, ive been there when this has happened. afterwards, the weather cleared up and they reopened the park, even though there was about an hour or so left...

I have a feeling its a policy to close for the day if a tornado siren is set off.

Could be wrong though!

If that is true, then that probably only applies to KI.

I heard reports of waterspouts around Cedar Point on a few occasions last year, from the ride ops I know that work there.. once the weather passed, rides started testing and operations resumed normally.

Then again, the weather at CP is significantly more unstable than the weather down here.

As far as it being a policy to take people to shelters: When I heard the tornado sirens go off, all FOUR Racer ride ops working just looked around and asked "Are those tornado sirens?" When I saw on my Blackberry that there was a tornado warning for Mason, I showed one of the ride ops as I was holding back a panic attack (tornadoes are the one thing in this world that terrify me). Her answer was "We have shelters if something happens." I heard one of them say to another ride op "She's like freaking out." DID NOT appreciate that comment, much less not being taken to shelter when I had proof that there was a tornado warning. Yesterday made me very upset.

it may be a factor, and they may have changed the policy this year, but the fact that i was there when sirens went off, and they reopened proved that it is not a reason to shut down the park the entire day. it would definately be a factor, but still not the only reason. if it were a saturday as apposed to a wednesday that would play a big role, as well... ive never heard of them closing the entire park mid day before, either...

So because you're the head chick who's popular here, and I'm not, you're allowed to post unnecessary threads. That has NOTHING to do with what I said. And I am nice. Some people here just needa reality check.

1. My thread was not unnecessary. If it was, it would have been deleted by now.

2. If you're "nice," you sure have a funny way of showing it. I've had several members PM me applauding me for telling you off. You have not been here long enough to decide who does and doesn't need a reality check. Leave the moderating to the moderators.

3. Speaking of reality checks, you are way off topic. Your deplorable attitude toward everyone on this site is not necessary, and post count proves nothing, so you can stop trolling.

I'm done arguing with you. I'm not wasting any more energy on your cries for attention because obviously, that is all you are here for.

Back to the original topic, please.

Any other hateful/off topic posts from you will be reported immediately.

Guest Millennium

I bumped a thread for you that is discussing the topic before you get more catty. I'm TRYING to help, and I honestly don't care if I'm the cool kid around, I just want to talk about Kings Island with a group of people. And if I have to be called a "Troll" for doing so, so be it.

Can't wait to be ignored at Holiwood Nights.

Guest Millennium

I had an experience 2 years ago where I drove all the way from Indy to KI to find out it was closing. And it was only raining! No lightening, no thunder, it was just horrible. I took a ride on Delirium and then had to go.

At least it's not as bad as Thursdays during Haunt. They easily could've opened up the park but due to cold temperatures it was closed.

it was definately NOT due to cold temperatures. it was rainy the first time, and supposed to be rainy the second time, and they would have lost money due to extremely low attendance. period. I planned to go both times, and was very disappointed then but i dealt with it because at least they told us beforehand. This time was once it was already open... they didnt even bother to change the sign yesterday...

They still open up the park on weekdays before most schools get out, many days of which have extremely low attendance, but they still open up then.

Moral of the story, when you say you're going to open up, OPEN UP. It's one thing to close the park while people are there, but to plan on having the park open, then telling us it's not open the day of, gets kind of annoying, especially when they do it twice in a row.

What I observed during all this stunned me more than anything else. I numerous times saw ride ops and other park employees walking, unprotected from the rain, during a deluge of pouring rain. Supervisors, meanwhile, carried umbrellas. I was informed that, like the United States Army, lower ranked people are NOT allowed to carry umbrellas. If this is true (and it sure seemed to be), this is one of the most ridiculous, absurd rules I have ever heard of. I thought the rain should fall (or not fall) equally on the extremely well paid and those just starting out.

I bet Mr. Kinzel carries an umbrella (or has one of his staff carry it for him) at Cedar Point.

Sigh.

Also, when the tornado sirens went off, there seemed to be virtually NO effort to move guests to shelter. It appeared that most guests were in the midway, and stayed there.

What I observed during all this stunned me more than anything else. I numerous times saw ride ops and other park employees walking, unprotected from the rain, during a deluge of pouring rain. Supervisors, meanwhile, carried umbrellas. I was informed that, like the United States Army, lower ranked people are NOT allowed to carry umbrellas. If this is true (and it sure seemed to be), this is one of the most ridiculous, absurd rules I have ever heard of. I thought the rain should fall (or not fall) equally on the extremely well paid and those just starting out.

I bet Mr. Kinzel carries an umbrella (or has one of his staff carry it for him) at Cedar Point.

Sigh.

Also, when the tornado sirens went off, there seemed to be virtually NO effort to move guests to shelter. It appeared that most guests were in the midway, and stayed there.

I think Kinzel's umbrella is solid gold, too.