KI closed early..?

gigacoaster2k

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for clarification, the NWS does not set the sirens off. A county EMA worker or other local official does. (It varies depending on the location and how things are hooked up).

Here is everything you wanted to know about torando warnings and more.

First in this area all weather warnings are issued by the National Weather Service out of Wilmington. Watches are issued out of Oklahoma and the storms prediction center.

A Tornado Warning is issued when a trained spotter has confirmed a tornado on the ground or when doppler radar indicates a possible tornado.

The sirens in some cases are sounded when there is a Severe Thunderstorm Warning when a Tornado Watch is issued. This depends on the county. Also with the Emergency Alert System these sirens also can be programmed to sound automatically when a warning is issued.

Under the old Emergency Broadcast System warnings were issued for complete counties, under the Emergency Alert System which was implemented in 1997/98 the ability to issue warnings for "sub divisions" of counties became possible as it is a digital system that works on a web of communication rather than a chain.

The storm in question on May 21, was issued for South Eastern Warren County around the Butlerville area which is 10 miles to the east of Kings Island. The storm was moving away from KI towards Wilmington.

To the poster who gets panic attacks during the storms I completely understand as I survived an F3 tornado that touched down extremely close to my house at the time (light polls across the street were bent at the bottom like a pretzel) in Jan of 2000 in Owensboro, Ky. The power of those storms are nothing to mess with and should be taken serious.

Also a couple of years ago I was on The Beast when a Severe T-storm popped up. That was not a fun ride as hail, lightning, and high winds provided a painful ride on my bald head.

One thing Kings Island should do is when storm warnings are issued is use the PA system to inform and direct guests what to do and where to go. Anything else is irresponsible. As far as workers having umbrellas, during a thunderstorm that would basically be walking around with a lightning rod. Hooded jackets would be much much better option for keeping employees dry.

Also you can not operate rides safely when lightning is in the area as it can travel as far as 30-40 miles away from the center of the storm. The park closing for safety reasons makes the most sense, especially when the storms train the way they did that night.

Scott Evans

Weathercaster - Radio Forecast Network, heard locally on 1160AM mid-6a

Very interesting!! As a survivor of the Xenia tornado of '74, I am fascinated by all of this. I agree, the park needs to come up with a plan. Selective, I can't believe that sup said they had no plan since the park had never been hit by one. That just floors me. I would like to take that person into Xenia to live for a year-I guarantee their views would change. I suggest management look at contacting Xenia's risk management dept since they have trained other communities in emergency preparedness-lord knows, they are experts on the subject.

I have no problem with the park closing early that night, they did the right thing. Staying in an open area with the storms going on, is just plain stupid. Honestly, I can't understand the complaining on here about KI's decision to close early.

As an associate I know where the Tornado shelters are, so I KNOW the supervisors know where to go. Nobody should listen to the lies and arrogance of selective

Just for clarification, the NWS does not set the sirens off. A county EMA worker or other local official does. (It varies depending on the location and how things are hooked up).

First in this area all weather warnings are issued by the National Weather Service out of Wilmington. Watches are issued out of Oklahoma and the storms prediction center.

A Tornado Warning is issued when a trained spotter has confirmed a tornado on the ground or when doppler radar indicates a possible tornado.

The sirens in some cases are sounded when there is a Severe Thunderstorm Warning when a Tornado Watch is issued. This depends on the county. Also with the Emergency Alert System these sirens also can be programmed to sound automatically when a warning is issued.

Under the old Emergency Broadcast System warnings were issued for complete counties, under the Emergency Alert System which was implemented in 1997/98 the ability to issue warnings for "sub divisions" of counties became possible as it is a digital system that works on a web of communication rather than a chain.

The storm in question on May 21, was issued for South Eastern Warren County around the Butlerville area which is 10 miles to the east of Kings Island. The storm was moving away from KI towards Wilmington.

To the poster who gets panic attacks during the storms I completely understand as I survived an F3 tornado that touched down extremely close to my house at the time (light polls across the street were bent at the bottom like a pretzel) in Jan of 2000 in Owensboro, Ky. The power of those storms are nothing to mess with and should be taken serious.

Also a couple of years ago I was on The Beast when a Severe T-storm popped up. That was not a fun ride as hail, lightning, and high winds provided a painful ride on my bald head.

One thing Kings Island should do is when storm warnings are issued is use the PA system to inform and direct guests what to do and where to go. Anything else is irresponsible. As far as workers having umbrellas, during a thunderstorm that would basically be walking around with a lightning rod. Hooded jackets would be much much better option for keeping employees dry.

Also you can not operate rides safely when lightning is in the area as it can travel as far as 30-40 miles away from the center of the storm. The park closing for safety reasons makes the most sense, especially when the storms train the way they did that night.

Scott Evans

Very interesting!! As a survivor of the Xenia tornado of '74, I am fascinated by all of this. I agree, the park needs to come up with a plan. Selective, I can't believe that sup said they had no plan since the park had never been hit by one. That just floors me. I would like to take that person into Xenia to live for a year-I guarantee their views would change. I suggest management look at contacting Xenia's risk management dept since they have trained other communities in emergency preparedness-lord knows, they are experts on the subject.

I have no problem with the park closing early that night, they did the right thing. Staying in an open area with the storms going on, is just plain stupid. Honestly, I can't understand the complaining on here about KI's decision to close early.

As an associate I know where the Tornado shelters are, so I KNOW the supervisors know where to go. Nobody should listen to the lies and arrogance of selective

Oh really? I'm an associate as well, and I only know where one is. Don't you think thats kind of important all associates should know where all of them are? All storm situations, I have handled by personal experience at the park.

^^ Luckily, I believe many of us had already anticipated that he was wrong. First of all, why would he know? Does he work for the park? Has he in the last decade? Selective thinks he has "insider information" because he has a friend of a friend whose cousin has a friend whose barber has a friend who works at the park. What he fails to notice is that there are dozens of people on this very board who work at the park (such as yourself) who shoot down every single one of his ridiculous claims.

Rest assured that Kings Island, like any business, has plans in place, and it's mandated that the employees be made aware of that plan and what to do in case of an emergency. Saying anything else is ridiculous. Might some employees panic or be rude during an emergency situation? Sure. You'll find that anywhere. That doesn't mean they aren't (at least basically) prepared.

^ As you said Windshane, you know where one storm cellar is. That's a start. Basic preparation. Clearly you ought to learn the rest, and in case of an emergency, we would hope that all employees would be in constant contact to ensure everyone's safety and keep everyone informed.

^ Luckily, I believe many of us had already anticipated that he was wrong. First of all, why would he know? Does he work for the park? Has he in the last decade? Selective thinks he has "insider information" because he has a friend of a friend whose cousin has a friend whose barber has a friend who works at the park. What he fails to notice is that there are dozens of people on this very board who work at the park (such as yourself) who shoot down every single one of his ridiculous claims.

Rest assured that Kings Island, like any business, has plans in place, and it's mandated that the employees be made aware of that plan and what to do in case of an emergency. Saying anything else is ridiculous. Might some employees panic or be rude during an emergency situation? Sure. You'll find that anywhere. That doesn't mean they aren't (at least basically) prepared.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. Storm preparedness was not covered in my dept. In fact, a year ago we were standing outside during tornado warnings, and had no clear direction on what to do. I was not concerned about it, common sense says take cover. My point of this is this particular issue needs work at the park. Personally, I am interested in selective's viewpoints, just as anyone else can form their own opinions on his comments.

Scott Evans

I know most of you will think I'm crazy but I think tornadoes are a beautiful thing and almost a work of art! Unfortunate though that sometimes they strike in highly populated areas. I want to see a tornado in person someday.

Well, when I worked in AZ Carts, they told us the nearest one for AZ workers, and that was our freezer behind the bathrooms by SOB....they said that we go directly there if there is a sever storm. Never once did they tell me to direct anyone else anywhere, at least that was my experiance.

Cobra whom does not wish to upset the (I am an associate there) Gods. Whom chose his words carefully. Until that those last few sentences. Zur.

Scott Evans

I can believe they have no plan, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI27jlwNk2E

Until one lives through tragedy most seem to not worry about the problem until its too late, which is why we have an ocean of oil right now, no plan in case of tragedy.

Scott Evans

Oh really? I'm an associate as well, and I only know where one is. Don't you think thats kind of important all associates should know where all of them are? All storm situations, I have handled by personal experience at the park.

They were posted in our handbooks, and on the walls of our secret hideout. Also in our meetings they tell us where to go.

Scott Evans

I can believe they have no plan, http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NI27jlwNk2E

Until one lives through tragedy most seem to not worry about the problem until its too late, which is why we have an ocean of oil right now, no plan in case of tragedy.

Scott Evans

I can believe they have no plan, http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NI27jlwNk2E

Are you kidding me? I am floored by this....unbelievable!! Bubbasbrothers video was the night we were standing out in the storm....

a. It was a waterspout...which is still quite potentially very dangerous.

b. It was 1998. As said at the end of the report, Cedar Point was considering installing sirens. I am sure they took that priority into account, as it was paramount and safety is priority 1...before executive salaries, acquiring other parks and park chains, etc.

Again, Cedar Point was considering installing sirens...whether they did or not, someone else can say....They certainly got other priorities accomplished...from Mr. Kinzel's salaries and bonuses to acquiring the Paramount Parks chain and other parks since 1998, including, but not limited to, Cedar Point's primary local competition...

From the youtube link with the video:

September 30, 2008 — FOX 47 News in Lansing, MI does a story from the June 30, 1998 Tornado to hit Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH.

For the record, they never have added the outdoor warning sirens.

I am a storm chaser from Lansing, MI. You can visit my website at http://www.michiganstormchaser.com for more information about me and full accounts from my past storm chases including video and pictures.

(emphasis added)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI27jlwNk2E

I quote from the youtube site...I do not vouch for its accuracy. Surely a safety minded company like Cedar Fair would install warning sirens at Cedar Point long before it installed coasters at tens of millions of dollars or paid its CEO multi-millions or acquired another park chain for more than a billion dollars. Surely.

KI does not have its own warning sirens, but Warren County does have a system of sirens, and several people here have reported hearing them while at the park.

There are two sirens close to KI - one at the Cintas complex and one at Kings Mills and Columbia next to the fire station.