Best Cedar Point Coaster?

Guest Millennium

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOO!! Don't make me choose!! :lol:

As much as I love Millie, I had to choose Magnum.

I had 1 friend working on it in 2008, who came back in 2009 and I made friends with 4 more of the ride ops, and now 2 of them including the one that worked there in 08 and 09 are back this year. All of my CP friends seem to end up working on Magnum, so I ride it countless times a day just to see them, they text me and keep telling me to come back. It makes closing day VERY difficult with saying goodbye.. they live several hours away and I literally never see them during the off season.

Oh and I also chose it for the epic thigh-bruising airtime on those bunny hills at the end :D Magnum is a terrific ride, and it has REALLY grown on me.

Guest Millennium

While I like Magnum XL I REALLY wish it didn't have those cruddy restraints. DB like restraints would make those airtime humps much more comfy. :(

it was a close race between top thrill dragster and magnum, i love that magnum is a coaster full of airtime and was build before all of the prefabricated roller coasters, but i had to vote top thrill dragster, i can't get enough of the positive g's and the height. ^_^

on a side note, for least favorite i have to go with maverick, hands down.

Millennium Force, for me when I first rode it in 2008, absolutely SHATTERED what I thought a coaster was. Having grown up with Paramount's Kings Island all my life, then going to Cedar Point, a park with much more diversity, and riding Millennium Force, the entire experience was just mindblowing. From the glowing red station to flying over the queue at 80 degrees, I was in awe.

That experience has yet to be beat. Millennium Force will always be one of my favorite rides.

Maverick! It's incredible really. So many different forces are thrown on you, it's great. Plus it proves a coaster doesn't need to go 80+ MPH or be over 200 feet to be really good.

For CP I'd go:

Maverick

Magnum

Raptor

I supervote and choose Millie, Maggie, TTD, Blue Streak, Maverick, and Raptor! And Skyscraper and maXair and Skyhawk and Power Tower and Dodgems and the view of the lake, the frozen custard, and the history of the park.. GAAAHH can't choose, can't do it! I LOVE Cedar Point! :D

^ Don't feel like you have to stop - I sure wouldn't! Hahha! Congrats! :lol:

I love Millennium to death, I think Maverick is a really superior ride (but it loses much of its appeal to me when the tunnel isn't working), and I have a big appreciation for Disaster Transport (I'm a "potential" guy). But I have to go with Raptor... Something about that first drop, and the way you turn on your side and really dive into it... It's unbeatable for me. If every ride in the park had a 10 minute wait I'd do Millennium and Maverick first, but Raptor is definitely a noteworthy ride for me.

I love all Cedar Point coasters. My choice was Millie.

On my first trip, the major coasters were Magnum and Meanstreak. I rode Meanstreak 4x in a row, I had a blast, no line. Late in the evening there was a storm and we waited it out, there was no one left in the park. We rode until we couldn't handle it anymore.

I guess I am going to have to get a roll back... from the way it sounds, it is a life changing experience!

I like the Beemers both equally.

If I had to choose which is my favorite at CP, I would have to say it is a tie between Maggie and Maverick. Both for different reasons.

I choose not to vote because I have 2 favorites.

Millennium Force is my favorite roller coaster of all time (just barely skimming past The Beast)

It's a ride that takes you by the arm and doesn't let you go. Once the train goes over the first hill, you are in heaven. You hit 4 gs at the bottom of the drop, and you're flung over the overbank turn. By this point of the ride, any doubts you've had about the ride are lost. The speed never lets up, the adrenaline keeps pumping, and it's all done as smooth as possible.

What impresses me most about the ride is the fact that it delivers on so many forces, but doesn't let up on the speed. The ride's max speed is 93mph, and the final stretch of track by the station delivers speeds of 70mph. That's only a 23 mph drop, and Diamondback looses that by the time it reaches the 4th hill. The speed of the Millennium never stops until the ride stops... just the way it should be.

If you're one of the people who doesn't like Millennium Force for one reason or another (I've heard people claim that there isn't any airtime) then I think you should pay attention the the riders who get off of the train. Everyone on the train has their hands up by the final overbank. Everyone's smiling and screaming their lungs out, releasing all the adrenaline that they can. First time riders are mesmerized by what they have just experienced. This is what a trip to an amusement park is all about.

I don't think Millennium Force will ever be topped, especially not by another steel coaster. In my opinion, it's what settled Cedar Point as the best amusement park in the world, settled Intamin as the best company, and it still stands as a masterpiece of physics and engineering.

The ride's max speed is 93mph, and the final stretch of track by the station delivers speeds of 70mph. That's only a 23 mph drop, and Diamondback looses that by the time it reaches the 4th hill. The speed of the Millennium never stops until the ride stops... just the way it should be.

Has this speed ever been measured? A friend of mine guessed it was about 70, but taking a closer look last week it didn't look any more than about 55.

EDIT: The reason I'm not a big fan of Millie is consistency. The drop and first overbank are amazing. Perfect. But after that, speed isn't enough. In my opinion, you need a ride to keep you entertained, and I just don't feel it does. The part between the tunnels is pretty boring, IMO. The part after the tunnels is decent, I like the bunny hill by the station, as it provides some good air. But other than the bunny hill, first drop, and first overbank, I just don't think the ride delivers consistently.

The ride's max speed is 93mph, and the final stretch of track by the station delivers speeds of 70mph. That's only a 23 mph drop, and Diamondback looses that by the time it reaches the 4th hill. The speed of the Millennium never stops until the ride stops... just the way it should be.

Has this speed ever been measured? A friend of mine guessed it was about 70, but taking a closer look last week it didn't look any more than about 55.

EDIT: The reason I'm not a big fan of Millie is consistency. The drop and first overbank are amazing. Perfect. But after that, speed isn't enough. In my opinion, you need a ride to keep you entertained, and I just don't feel it does. The part between the tunnels is pretty boring, IMO. The part after the tunnels is decent, I like the bunny hill by the station, as it provides some good air. But other than the bunny hill, first drop, and first overbank, I just don't think the ride delivers consistently.

I've heard several times that the braking system had to be designed to stop the train while it was going 65-70 mph. So even if it doesn't go that all the time, it's been that fast before.

• 4 weeks later...

I chose Mantis. As much as I love Mille and Magnum, I really like Mantis as a coaster itself. It doesnt go fast or high, but its a great ride that you can do with little to no wait.

Wow, you must have some pretty strong legs to like that ride. Honestly, that was the most God awful experience I have ever had on a roleercoaster!laugh.gif

BUt its your opinion....I put TTD! I just love that ride! Can't get enough, tied with a close second of Maverick and Magnum XL.

Magnum in the day. Maverick at night. Maverick at night ranks up with night rides on Beast. I love it. I almost picked Raptor though because it is the only coaster that still gives me that weird feeling in my stomach on the first drop. I have lost that on all other coasters and I miss it.

If you're one of the people who doesn't like Millennium Force for one reason or another (I've heard people claim that there isn't any airtime) then I think you should pay attention the the riders who get off of the train. Everyone on the train has their hands up by the final overbank. Everyone's smiling and screaming their lungs out, releasing all the adrenaline that they can. First time riders are mesmerized by what they have just experienced. This is what a trip to an amusement park is all about.

I picked Millie too mostly for this point. Having the privilage of attending CP on Opening Day for Millie way back when, it really was an amazing scene at this ride. I've never seen more people run towards one ride (Except maybe Dragster) than when the gates opened that day. I was able to ride it in the morning and at night and both times, the reactions from people getting off the ride were EPIC. That day is an experience I'll never forget and it was all because of this ride.

I picked Millie too mostly for this point. Having the privilage of attending CP on Opening Day for Millie way back when, it really was an amazing scene at this ride. I've never seen more people run towards one ride (Except maybe Dragster) than when the gates opened that day. I was able to ride it in the morning and at night and both times, the reactions from people getting off the ride were EPIC. That day is an experience I'll never forget and it was all because of this ride.

I will never forget my first visit to the point back in 2002. At this time I was still a little bit leery of the taller coasters and at that time Millennium was the tallest at Cedar Point. I walked over to where the queue line starts at and I was debating on riding or not when I heard a train pull back into the station and I heard the ride op say, "Welcome back yellow train, how was your ride?" Then I heard a sonic boom of riders just scream at the top of their lungs, and then I saw them all getting off with smiles on their faces laughing and imitating what the coaster did on their favorite part of the ride. I did not ride it that year, I stuck to Magnum, but the next year I came back it was Millennium Force all day. Not to mention I waited an hour and a half for Top Thrill Dragster the next time I came back at around 9:30 at night by myself as a 12 year old kid.

Millennium Force for the win. I don't think any coaster will ever knock it out of my #1 spot. Not saying it won't happen, but I'll never forget my first ride on it. That lift hill and drop are just breathtaking.

Magnum is an extremely close 2nd at CP for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Millennium Force for the win. I don't think any coaster will ever knock it out of my #1 spot. Not saying it won't happen, but I'll never forget my first ride on it. That lift hill and drop are just breathtaking.

Magnum is an extremely close 2nd at CP for me.

Go to King's Dominion (Virginia) and ride Intimidator 305. I think that will be your new #1. Of course, I'm saying this because I305 is somewhat a clone of Millennium Force.

Speaking of which, Millie is my favorite.