Smoking Areas

rivertowngirl

I am so glad that Kings Island limits smoking to certain areas. However, I have a few problems with the smoking areas. There are too many and they are poorly placed.

I counted 14 smoking areas on the park map (including Boomerang Bay). That is ridiculous. Some of them are practically a stones throw from each other.

Kings Island is a family friendly park, yet the smoking areas are placed right next to restrooms, eating areas, and general walkways. My family has to walk through a cloud of smoke to get to the bathroom or to our favorite attractions. And nothing is more horrible than sitting down to eat at a table and having to inhale second-hand smoke from 10 feet away (as is the case near Potato Works). Don't even get me started on the smoking area that is RIGHT IN FRONT of the Baby Care Center at one of the entrances to Planet Snoopy.

I would love to see Kings Island follow in the footsteps of the Cincinnati Zoo and make the entire park smoke-free. I encourage everyone to contact Kings Island about this as I did. They listened to my concerns and I think if enough people speak up we will see positive changes.

• Like 1

Last Saturday as I swept in Planet Snoopy, my area was practically the patios and that entrance near the baby care center near that smoking area. I found no problem with its placement. As I strolled down the center of that midway, the whole day, I never found myself inhaling secondhand smoke. The only time I inhaled smoke was when I walked right into the area. Since the area are outdoors, I see no problem with their placement, and as for the smoking area near Potato Works I will find out tommorow for I will be in Rivertown, but when ever I go to the park I find no problem with the smoking areas, only when people don't use the smoking areas.

Considering that they just turned Tower Gardens into one giant designated smoking area, I don't see the park going completely smoke free anytime soon. Evem if they did, some people still think they can smoke wherever they want regardless of the rules...

Well, to be honest, the smoking areas at Kings Island, Tower Gardens included, are generally nothing spectacular. They simply just have a few benches and the cigarette butt collection bins. They often are placed in existing areas with minimal modifications (like adding the collection bins and placing signs indicating it is a smoking area). By comparison, Holiday World`s smoking areas are actually decks/patios that are not located immediately on the midways, like most of KI`s areas are. And the areas at Holiday World were designed as smoking areas, not just arbitrary areas on the midway like at KI.

I think the odds of KI going completely smoke free are slim to none. KI can`t even enforce the smoking in designated areas rule, so even if they did impose an outright ban, as stated above, it likely would not be enforced very effectively.

When smoking isn't banned, people are more likely to smoke outside areas because they already have cigarettes in their pocket. If it's banned, they don't. However you still get the people that will bring them in anyway.

the only smoking area that bothers me, not really on a personal level, but on more of a "i can't believe the park did that" level, is the smoking area beside the daycare. the rest of the smoking areas really don't bother me though.

edit: a big hearty welcome for you, rivertowngirl, to the KICentral universe. :D

i don't smoke, and was ecstatic when my dad quit smoking, but i feel that if someone really relies on smoking a cigarette that much, then they should be allowed, as long as, it is in an actual area and not on their own free will prancing about the park.

if the park were to ban smoking on the property, there would be smokers who would be upset, upset guest are less likely to spend the money that Cedar Fair wants/needs.

well to be truthful I doubt you would see a dramatic decline due to a ban on the nicotine sticks..... some people who smoke will not bring in their smokes because they dont want to crush them on a ride.

Agreed with the sentiment, that if its banned in the park people will be less likely to bring the cigs in and will not smoke. You will have a few rebel rouses but overall it would be smoke free... the thing is though, which group of people deserve to have their rights infringed upon? Those who would like to smoke or those who would like to not have to breathe in second hand smoke....

a happy medium would be to have nicer smoker areas in parts of the park that are not near areas where the wind could cause the smoke to drift onto the midway....... plus just because you smoke does not mean you cant have a nice place to do so.... I like the patio idea and its not hard to have an outdoor air purifier, sucks in the smoke air.......

I am so glad that Kings Island limits smoking to certain areas. However, I have a few problems with the smoking areas. There are too many and they are poorly placed.

I counted 14 smoking areas on the park map (including Boomerang Bay). That is ridiculous. Some of them are practically a stones throw from each other.

Kings Island is a family friendly park, yet the smoking areas are placed right next to restrooms, eating areas, and general walkways. My family has to walk through a cloud of smoke to get to the bathroom or to our favorite attractions. And nothing is more horrible than sitting down to eat at a table and having to inhale second-hand smoke from 10 feet away (as is the case near Potato Works). Don't even get me started on the smoking area that is RIGHT IN FRONT of the Baby Care Center at one of the entrances to Planet Snoopy.

I would love to see Kings Island follow in the footsteps of the Cincinnati Zoo and make the entire park smoke-free. I encourage everyone to contact Kings Island about this as I did. They listened to my concerns and I think if enough people speak up we will see positive changes.

I myself smoke. I am very considerate when I do. This subject is bound to raise banter from both points. As you contact KI about it to stop smoking I have contacted them about more areas for smokers. This is America and even though we do not like it, everyone has the right to speak on this. Maybe they do need (re)organize the smoking sections. But I would be very ****y if they banned it 100%.

I quit 15 years ago. Most of the time I dont care for the smell, but once in a while it smells really good. It was so addictive-even after all this time, I can crave one, but I dont do it-it passes. I quit cause I couldn't breathe, and also got tired of the cost. The asthma I now have wasn't worth it.

Honestly, as a smoker, the smoking areas aren't that great. I mean they are all on hot benches in direct sunlight, so as a smoker, I'm already being punished. However i respect the rule nowadays. IN the past I haven't, but now the way I see it, they could go completely smoke free, and I might as well just do what I'm told. Its really not that big of a deal for any smoker to go to a designated area even on benches in bright sunlight. Yesturday I smoked 2 cigs the whole time I was there, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Hopefully someday I'll quit... I came close last year, as I went 2 months without smoking.

Ya' know. Technically... they don't have to do anything. Its Ohio state law to smoke in a public setting. They could pull the plug on Smoking Areas any time they want. So you smokers should be happy KI hasn't yet. :)

And then those who find that objectionable could take their nickels elsewhere and not visit the park again.

This is a very divisive issue. The park no longer has the option of doing nothing. Perhaps not under the law, but under market reality. And anything it does in this arena could well upset some of its customers.

Ya' know. Technically... they don't have to do anything. Its Ohio state law to smoke in a public setting*. They could pull the plug on Smoking Areas any time they want. So you smokers should be happy KI hasn't yet. :)

well, if that's the case i might not go to Kings Island, or anywhere in ohio if it means i have to light up.

*yes, i do know it was a mistake, yet i'm shocked terpy didn't jump at it.

Speaking of laws in Ohio, has anyone noticed any changes at Boomerang Bay this year? I know a change in regulation is resulting in some minor changes at Coney.

The thing I like about the signs proclaiming Tower Gardens as a smoking area is that there is a sign that reads something along the lines of "This area was specifically designed as a smoking area."

Uh...okay.

How...interesting. Not unlike returning The Racer to the days of old, I suppose.

I wouldn't even mind Tower Gardens being a designated smoking area if it wasn't such an eyesore - why has the park let this little section of the park become so dramatically...blah?

I'll give you a little insight from the view of a smoker. I am happy to have all the areas. Nothing would suck more than to be in an area, and have to walk a long way to get to a smoking section. As long as they have smoking areas I will use them. Yes, I know, some people don't. I can't control those people, and for blanket statements to be made that "Smokers don't pay attention to the areas, and smoke wherever they want" is not fair. I do think though, that if the park was ever changed to a non smoking park, the problem would be worse. If I am going to spend an entire day in the park, I will smoke, end of story. I will just be doing it anywhere I can get away with it. I won't be worried about being thrown out, because #1, like The Interpreter already said, I'll just take my money somewhere else. They don't want that. #2, The park can't control line jumping, vandalism, and crude language that is done right in front of them, how are they going to enforce smoking?

Having said all that, I have kids too. I think there should be NO smoking areas in the kids area at all, and I would limit it to one very closely monitored area in Boomerang Bay where so many people are running around barefoot.

I really don't think I am gonna call or write about this, but I would pitch these ideas:

- cut the some 14 areas to about 6 or less. 14 is just unnecessary to have in the park.

- enforce the rules a little more. I see people in the woods smoking. They should not even be there.

- keep the ares FAR away from Planet Snoopy.

All I can say is that I feel the affects of people smoking around me all the time. When I go to Kings Island I love to smell all of the food and smells of the park. I always get a lump in my throat when I take a big inhale of smoke. My last and biggest concern are the tower gardens. They should be beautiful! I loved going a few years back and enjoying the AMAZING opportunity to be somewhere so relaxing. I now avoid that area. Kings Island has treasures that are slowing fading away.