Son Of Beast being dismantled?!?!

benred23

Oh I know, i'm just saying I"m not suprised if anyone got a serious head injury from riding the Son of Beast. It was ridiculously rough in the back. I do have issues though with the park immediatly shutting the ride down. Basically I could call up tommorrow and say "yeah 2 weeks ago I rode Diamondback and had a heart attack" and the park will like ok HOld on... "OH CRAP SHUT DOWN Diamondback NOW" then next thing you know park employees will be going up and clearing out the line kicking everyone off the train, and putting a sign in front of Diamondback that says "closed". May sound ridiculous but its basically what the park did. Personally Son of Beast should of still been running until they ahd actual PROOF the ride caused an injury!

Oh I know, i'm just saying I"m not suprised if anyone got a serious head injury from riding the Son of Beast. It was ridiculously rough in the back. I do have issues though with the park immediatly shutting the ride down. Basically I could call up tommorrow and say "yeah 2 weeks ago I rode Diamondback and had a heart attack" and the park will like ok HOld on... "OH CRAP SHUT DOWN Diamondback NOW" then next thing you know park employees will be going up and clearing out the line kicking everyone off the train, and putting a sign in front of Diamondback that says "closed". May sound ridiculous but its basically what the park did. Personally Son of Beast should of still been running until they ahd actual PROOF the ride caused an injury!

It has not been stated WHY Son of Beast closed when it did. Just because thing b happens after thing a does not mean thing a caused thing b. If a particular McDonald's closes right after a lawsuit is filed claiming it served unclean food, that does not necessarily mean that is the reason the restaurant closed. It might be. It might not be.

Son of Beast may well be closed for other reasons.

Terp, who will not be saying more about that

I have a feeling SoB will never open again. I know it's an opinion if you like it or not, but I bet 1 out of 4 thousand people would want SoB to stay, and the others will want it gone. Some people say it's exciting and thrilling. Some people say its exciting in a different reason - jerky movements and rough. So all of this is a matter of opinion.

Do you think KI will open/close it based on people's opinions?

Absolutely not. I am sure that KI will open/remove the ride based on insurance liabilities, ride modification (or other) costs and so forth. It is an economic decision for the park, not one that will be based on guests' opinions.

I believe you will find it IS composed of the same type of wood as most other coasters, Southern Yellow Pine. It was supposed to have used SunCor process processed wood product...but like many other things, during construction, this wood was no longer specified by Paramount Parks, which had taken over as general contractor.

I have a feeling SoB will never open again. I know it's an opinion if you like it or not, but I bet 1 out of 4 thousand people would want SoB to stay, and the others will want it gone. Some people say it's exciting and thrilling. Some people say its exciting in a different reason - jerky movements and rough. So all of this is a matter of opinion.

maybe so, but unless they have a plan for that land, and they can find away to get it running smooth again for cheap, then why not? People can either ride it or not, and if it proves unpopular and they decide they want the land for something else, then they can remove it.

The more I think about it they just need to have some new trains made for it that are SPECIFICALLY designed to run on the SOB's track. Thats really the problem here right now as it stands. The back half of these trains give a ridiculously rough ride because they were made to ride on a Hurricane category 5 not Son of Beast!

The State of Ohio has cleared the ride to operate again. The park has chosen not to open it, for whatever reason. As for people choosing to ride or not, the park wants the ride to be comfortable and does not believe in its current state that it is. That is for the park to decide, as they are ultimately responsible, not individual riders...who cannot, as a matter of public policy, agree to take their chances.

In my hay day, I loved woody's over any steel roller coaster. i loved the click and clang of the wheels on the track, just like a train makes the same sound on the rails. Steel coasters just don't add the same flavor to the ride's experience. As for the extreme angles of the drops and the loops just does nothing for me. But aside that, with my neck and back problems, I know better than to ride any type of coasters due to health reasons. Now if I was to ride them, like people have done in the past including this past incident with SOB, I also could find a lawyer to file a law suit due to the ride causing my injuries. I say close down The Racer and The Beast, as they are also defective for this same reason. But I would be crazy to blame those rides for me being stupid to ride the rides and them blame them for my injuries. Shame on anybody that ride when the signs clearly state for people with those type of injuries and other illness's to ride. Open of the SOB and anybody that prefers steel coaster's stick to them if you want a smooth ride rather than the click and clang of a wood coaster. And do not settle lawsuits where people sue claiming injuries when they had prior injuries (people that have their spine fused). Doing that is like admitting rides are defective. No reason to tear down SOB and replacing it with another woody (never replace it with a steel coaster) just to have another stupid person with prior injuries to claim that new coaster caused their injuries.

how would you feel if you didnt know you had an illness or some sort of back/neck issue.... you rode the other rides in the park and you were fine, but the intense levels of SOB caused the injuries to appear and worsen... yup you are right always the patrons fault never the rides....

The more I think about it they just need to have some new trains made for it that are SPECIFICALLY designed to run on the SOB's track. Thats really the problem here right now as it stands. The back half of these trains give a ridiculously rough ride because they were made to ride on a Hurricane category 5 not Son of Beast!

This is certainly something worth discussing, but I'm not sure we'd ever arrive at an answer... I don't know much of Son of Beast to be honest, but what I do know (not guaranteeing its all correct) is mostly this:

• The ride opened with Premier trains that contained an extra row in each car.
  • They were removed for whatever reason; often assumed to be in favor of lighter weight trains to salvage the structure, which had previously cracked due to over-stress. The lighter trains, then, would not be able to complete the vertical loop, and it was removed. But as Terpy said, just because C (new trains) comes after A (cracked structure) and B (loop removal) does not mean A and B caused C.
  • The "new" train's lighter weight is often credited as making the ride much more rough, as well as eliminating the "middle row of each car" option that was often considered one of the tolerable places to sit.
  • Son of Beast's track is wider than any other wooden roller coaster, thus requiring every train to ever grace its tracks to be custom-built and/or widened.

Perhaps new age coaster trains (Timberliners come to mind because I know practically nothing about wooden roller coasters) would solve some of the roughness. However, I don't necessarily think the park wants to just "solve the roughness." There's clearly a question of structural integrity (or, at least, there used to be). So in effect, the park would be required to improve the ride's structure, and get new, specially-modified trains that both reduce the ride's otherwise inherent roughness and adhere to a very specific, very necessary weight restriction.

So the way I see it, we're sort of looking for the Adonis of all coaster cars that fits so many restrictions it's ridiculous and a braced & stabilized structure. And that's assuming they go for the very least of the fixes... Things like the Iron Horse redo or Intamin pre-fab are more elaborate still...

The State of Ohio has cleared the ride to operate again. The park has chosen not to open it, for whatever reason. As for people choosing to ride or not, the park wants the ride to be comfortable and does not believe in its current state that it is. That is for the park to decide, as they are ultimately responsible, not individual riders...who cannot, as a matter of public policy, agree to take their chances.

I really think they are just being cautious. Maybe the park will suprise all of us with Son of Beast.

I really think they are just being cautious. Maybe the park will suprise all of us with Son of Beast.

As I said a while back when I started this thread, I Believe (Or Maybe Hope is the better word), That Cedar Fair has a Plan for this Ride. They are not just going to let that big a attraction just sit there and Rot and do Nothing with it. Its amazing that SOB Is one of the Largest, (If not THE Largest) Visible Atrractions in the park and theres absolutly no referance to it whatsoever! I snooped around the park to see if I could see a referance to it ANYWHERE, and all I saw was an Old Sign for the 32 oz. refillable Cup that Had fear the Four with the Son of Beast Logo on it. That was it. I was on top of the Eiffel Tower and overheard at least 5 people ask, "What ride is that?!" But back to my main point, My Thinking is if They were going to demolish it, they would have done it in the offseason so that it wouldnt be visible to the public and creating talk and rumors. I feel that towards the end of this operating year, you'll see a big sign hung from it that says something to the effect of , "Better, Badder, Meaner, Son of Beast 2011" Of something to that effect. Maybe its just wishful thinking, or maybe, just maybe, Theres already a plan in Place...... Heres Hopin..