Tattoo, SFOT: Mother of 3, 30, Claims Turned Away Due To Ink

A 30-year-old mother of three said she was refused entrance into Six Flags Over Texas because of her tattoo.

Samantha Osborn, a Texas girl through-and-through, has two six-shooters surrounded by yellow roses tattooed on her chest.

"I got it because I love Texas," she said. "I thought of cowboys and six-shooters and the yellow rose of Texas."

But a Six Flags employee stopped her at the entrance gate when she and her husband, Matt, went to the Arlington amusement park to celebrate his birthday.

"We tried to enter, one employee grabbed me and said my chest tattoo was offensive and that I may not be allowed into the park," Osborn said. "I was flabbergasted."

She said the employee told her Six Flags was a family-friendly place. Osborn told the employee she was the mother of three girls....

Picture here, too:

http://www.nbcdfw.co...r-94866929.html

So, how did it end, for now?

...Samantha Osborn complained to Six Flags about what she called unfair and discriminatory treatment. She later received a letter of apology by e-mail from Cindi Brickett, Six Flags guest services supervisor.

"We are dedicated to providing a fun‑filled day that goes beyond your expectations," the e-mail said. "On behalf of the entire management team, I sincerely apologize that we did not meet that goal and hope that you will not allow this experience to diminish your impression of our park."

Brickett also promised the employee would be dealt with appropriately.

"I received an e-mail, which wasn't a phone call. I would have really liked to speak to a person," Osborn said.

The Osborns said the experience left a sour taste in their mouths. They don't plan on returning to Six Flags.

For now. I wonder if the next step is to go see a counselor of a certain kind...

Events like these that take place just really make me upset.

Here's a mother of 3 and a wife celebrating her husbands birthday at the park, and here comes some employee telling her she can't gain access to the park because of a tattoo? I found the tattoo very artsy! Now maybe the employee found it disturbing because maybe she was brought up on different values and I know there are people who think tattoos are just disturbing and disgusting. I think the employee was out of line, was not professional and im sure she did not think of what the out come of her actions could be. She then had the nerve to try and sell her a shirt for 5 bucks? Really?

Also read some of these comments that people are posting on the news article. I think majority are middle schoolers in a current event class.

Did he think he had the right to determine what is offensive? I mean if the shirt is very suggestive or has profanity, I could understand the descion.

Who's this "he" you're talking about? What shirt?

Hmmm... I don't like the tattoo because I don't like violence and guns pointed at a chest make me think of violence. Especially the way they cradel her upper chest. It's almost like seeing a baby hold a gun or something.

Just kinda unselttling.

However, I don't think portraying violence was her intention and certainly understand why she is upset.

FYI, I have a Black Belt in Hapkido so I can defend myself, family and community.

well I am probably in the minority here but listen up and dont make a snap judgment....

1. The employee's job is to help decide what is and what is not offensive. She said it condoned violence, so maybe she thought she was doing the right thing.

2. If you have ink you should be expected people will react in certain ways. Also if you have ink you should be ready to cover it up if people deem it offensive.

3. Six flags should have called to apologize to the lady, but they may be preparing for a lawsuit.

4. She got into the park, so whats the big deal? She was still able to enjoy the day.

5. I wish all parks and all employees started to crack down a little bit more on offensive tv shirts/body art/etc....

feel free to respond

well I am probably in the minority here but listen up and dont make a snap judgment....

1. The employee's job is to help decide what is and what is not offensive. She said it condoned violence, so maybe she thought she was doing the right thing.

2. If you have ink you should be expected people will react in certain ways. Also if you have ink you should be ready to cover it up if people deem it offensive.

3. Six flags should have called to apologize to the lady, but they may be preparing for a lawsuit.

4. She got into the park, so whats the big deal? She was still able to enjoy the day.

5. I wish all parks and all employees started to crack down a little bit more on offensive tv shirts/body art/etc....

feel free to respond

1. To my understanding , the employee wasn't park management and had no right to denied her entrance too the park because of her tattoo.

Six Flags' dress code says park management can deny customers entrance if their clothing is deemed inappropriate or vulgar. The code does not mention tattoos.

2. Like all things, anything out of the norm, people will react too it. You really have me confuse here also, you typed

Also if you have ink you should be ready to cover it up if people deem it offensive.

Almost anyone finds anything offensive now and days. I was actually told one day that a customer at my store found my hair color to be offensive, are you saying I should put a bag over my head because a lady found it offensive(my hair was black with gray tips) Just making a point.

3. Can't really comment, Because I as well wished they would of called her.

4. I would of been bothered also to be honest. A park employee basically told her , that her tattoo was offensive and she had to cover it up, it probably hurt the woman's feelings. Its was like a low blow too her. As you can tell from the article the women is very passionate about tat's. Starting the day out with a negative encounter like this is no fun.

5. Its the public. Point blank and simple. You're going to run into a lot of people with different styles and different backgrounds and different cultures. You may not agree with them because its out of your "norm" but that doesn't mean they should be a minority.

Let us not forget that this is private property. If you walk on my lawn and I find you offensive I can ask you to leave.

I used to dress offensively but didn't get in a huff when someone said something about it. What if they were two Pot leaves? What if they were bloody knives? Where do we draw the line and why are so offended when people think their style is offensive... on private property.

Actually Rumor Smasher, associates are told to enforce the rules, so if there is a rule saying nothing offensive in the park then the associate does have the right to stop her.

It basically the same when I see someone cross the barrier where the Snoopy Starlight Spectacular is being constructed. I am to tell people to come back. Yes you would be surprised how many adults look at that barrier and ask "why is this in my way? I am just going around it."

feel free to respond

1. To my understanding , the employee wasn't park management and had no right to denied her entrance too the park because of her tattoo.

Six Flags' dress code says park management can deny customers entrance if their clothing is deemed inappropriate or vulgar. The code does not mention tattoos.

2. Like all things, anything out of the norm, people will react too it. You really have me confuse here also, you typed

Also if you have ink you should be ready to cover it up if people deem it offensive.

Almost anyone finds anything offensive now and days. I was actually told one day that a customer at my store found my hair color to be offensive, are you saying I should put a bag over my head because a lady found it offensive(my hair was black with gray tips) Just making a point.

3. Can't really comment, Because I as well wished they would of called her.

4. I would of been bothered also to be honest. A park employee basically told her , that her tattoo was offensive and she had to cover it up, it probably hurt the woman's feelings. Its was like a low blow too her. As you can tell from the article the women is very passionate about tat's. Starting the day out with a negative encounter like this is no fun.

5. Its the public. Point blank and simple. You're going to run into a lot of people with different styles and different backgrounds and different cultures. You may not agree with them because its out of your "norm" but that doesn't mean they should be a minority.

She may not be park management but her job is to welcome guests and do an initial screen. So maybe she thought she was doing the right thing. She probably could have called a park manager over to double check. To help pay for school I work at a place that uses door greeters. Now Management is the only one who can tell people officially what they can and can not wear inside the store but if a person came in wearing no shirt I would tell them a shirt is needed. Its a power the managers have given to the door greeters, I assume that this same power is bestowed at the park entrance....

About covering of the ink, if you do something to your body you should be prepared for the consequences. If I were to go out and get a tatto of a pinup girl on my forearm then I should be prepared to wear long sleeved shirts when I work as a speech therapist. Its not appropriate. If your hair color did not break your work's dress code then you are fine. But if your work says "no multicolored non-natural hair coloring" then you should be prepared that your hair color must be made 1 color. No bag. And thats a ridiculous situation and you know it. The most your work would have you do is recolor your hair not put a bag on over it.

At least we agree about the phone call

I would have been bothered for a brief moment but then again I would have covered up my tat if the park told me I had to. Too many people feel that its a personal slam against them and not people just trying to follow the rules.

Im not saying something out of the norm should be considered rude. I am saying shirts that have innuendos on them, or violence should be cracked down upon in the park. Same thing about people who have offensive body art. I kid you not I see so many people that have the Stars and Bars tattooed on their arms or the swastika.....I am not saying if its part of your culture but seriously what culture has clothing that explicitly talks of rape or bodily damage?

Let us not forget that this is private property. If you walk on my lawn and I find you offensive I can ask you to leave.

I used to dress offensively but didn't get in a huff when someone said something about it. What if they were two Pot leaves? What if they were bloody knive? Wheare do we draw the line and why are so offended when people think their style is offensive... on private property.

A Park employee(not management as I pointed out in my post) has asked a women,(because of 2 tattoo's), that she thought was offensive(she could of easily asked upper management for a opinion and have them deal with it.) This wasn't two pot leaves tho...(did you know pot can be legally obtain as a medical Marijuana prescription in California? SO don't really see where you were going with this example)

Also this wasn't two bloody knives either...

Private Property or not, The customer felt as if she was singled out by the employee(which she was) and discriminated against because of a harmless tattoo. Also yes it was private property but the employee was in no right to denied her entrance to the park, also her tattoo didn't interfere with the dress code at all. There should of been no confrontation in the first place.

Actually Rumor Smasher, associates are told to enforce the rules, so if there is a rule saying nothing offensive in the park then the associate does have the right to stop her.

It basically the same when I see someone cross the barrier where the Snoopy Starlight Spectacular is being constructed. I am to tell people to come back. Yes you would be surprised how many adults look at that barrier and ask "why is this in my way? I am just going around it."

Associates are told too enforce rule yes, BUT when it deals with having too reject a paying customer off the property then a manager HAS too step in. Managers are trained too deal with these type of situations and know what to say and how to handle the conflict. Also to the other half of your post, please do not compare apples to oranges.

She may not be park management but her job is to welcome guests and do an initial screen. So maybe she thought she was doing the right thing. She probably could have called a park manager over to double check. To help pay for school I work at a place that uses door greeters. Now Management is the only one who can tell people officially what they can and can not wear inside the store but if a person came in wearing no shirt I would tell them a shirt is needed. Its a power the managers have given to the door greeters, I assume that this same power is bestowed at the park entrance....

About covering of the ink, if you do something to your body you should be prepared for the consequences. If I were to go out and get a tatto of a pinup girl on my forearm then I should be prepared to wear long sleeved shirts when I work as a speech therapist. Its not appropriate. If your hair color did not break your work's dress code then you are fine. But if your work says "no multicolored non-natural hair coloring" then you should be prepared that your hair color must be made 1 color. No bag. And thats a ridiculous situation and you know it. The most your work would have you do is recolor your hair not put a bag on over it.

At least we agree about the phone call

I would have been bothered for a brief moment but then again I would have covered up my tat if the park told me I had to. Too many people feel that its a personal slam against them and not people just trying to follow the rules.

Im not saying something out of the norm should be considered rude. I am saying shirts that have innuendos on them, or violence should be cracked down upon in the park. Same thing about people who have offensive body art. I kid you not I see so many people that have the Stars and Bars tattooed on their arms or the swastika.....I am not saying if its part of your culture but seriously what culture has clothing that explicitly talks of rape or bodily damage?

I don't believe that a manager would give a seasonal employee the power too reject a paying customer. Yes if she spots a problem, her job is too tell upper management. As you can see from this event, she took power into her own hands and now this is the outcome.

Also I was just making a point in my paragraph about the hair color. The tattoo situation is just the same. From what I've seen from the tattoo, nothing looks offensive.

I don't think the park is aloud to tell you too cover up a tattoo unless they have a restriction on it(in which Six Flags OT does not) That be like going too Kings Island and having a employee asking me to put a band-aid over my pierced eyebrow.

Well see I can understand if someone was asked to change shirts cause it prompts rape/murder. That's why parks have dress code.

Not the same thing when the park doesn't have a restriction on body art.

Also the meaning of culture

Culture-The set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization or group

I used to dress offensively but didn't get in a huff when someone said something about it. What if they were two Pot leaves? What if they were bloody knive? Wheare do we draw the line and why are so offended when people think their style is offensive... on private property.

A Park employee(not management as I pointed out in my post) has asked a women,(because of 2 tattoo's), that she thought was offensive(she could of easily asked upper management for a opinion and have them deal with it.) This wasn't two pot leaves tho...(did you know pot can be legally obtain as a medical Marijuana prescription in California? SO don't really see where you were going with this example)

Also this wasn't two bloody knives either...

Private Property or not, The customer felt as if she was singled out by the employee(which she was) and discriminated against because of a harmless tattoo. Also yes it was private property but the employee was in no right to denied her entrance to the park, also her tattoo didn't interfere with the dress code at all. There should of been no confrontation in the first place.

Associates are told too enforce rule yes, BUT when it deals with having too reject a paying customer off the property then a manager HAS too step in. Managers are trained too deal with these type of situations and know what to say and how to handle the conflict. Also to the other half of your post, please do not compare apples to oranges.

you did compare covering your dyed hair with a bag as being the same as asking someone to cover up a tattoo...

well one was an employee asking a customer and the other was you being told by a customer.... also covering a tattoo is nothing more than putting on a shirt... you said you would wear a bag...... if you cared enough to not use wild and crazy situations....

Rumor Smasher, I don't think you understood my post nor do I think it matters if this was management or not. For me, the debate lies in the appropriateness of the tattoos at the park.

My point was to say that these are tough decisions that should be approached with maturity, compassion and a genuine desire to do what's best. I would like the two pot leaves (medicinal use in California is irrevalent here, but I do see your point) but not the bloody knives. Would everyone answer the same. No. That's where I was going with it. Just because you don't find it offensive doesn't mean others will not.

Would she wear that outfit to a church? I'm not getting preachy at all just trying to put the image in context.

Cedarpointer you just confirmed my fears of unjust values of America and the problems it has. What you said basically is she got it so she should be treated differently or for that matter will be. Thats like saying "hey, you have a physical disability or mental disability and you will be treated differently, We will not let you into our park. Now on the other hand theme parks or amusement parks are not public domains they are private and you pay to visit them.

While there you must abide by their rules. However to base this particular story on a merit of she might be offensive to others wasn't appropriate by any means. You can bet there is more to that story because even though a private place that was a major lawsuit waiting to happen. The yellow rose of texas and the guns symbolizes the History of Texas! Thats like saying someone wearing authentic African garments, someone with a skull tattoo (which resembles death) or a person wearing clothing of religious hints to be offensive to some.

Cedarpointer you just confirmed my fears of unjust values of America and the problems it has. What you said basically is she got it so she should be treated differently or for that matter will be. Thats like saying "hey, you have a physical disability or mental disability and you will be treated differently, We will not let you into our park. Now on the other hand theme parks or amusement parks are not public domains they are private and you pay to visit them.

While there you must abide by their rules. However to base this particular story on a merit of she might be offensive to others wasn't appropriate by any means. You can bet there is more to that story because even though a private place that was a major lawsuit waiting to happen. The yellow rose of texas and the guns symbolizes the History of Texas! Thats like saying someone wearing authentic African garments, someone with a skull tattoo (which resembles death) or a person wearing clothing of religious hints to be offensive to some.

Excuse me? Physical and mental disabilities are NOT a choice. Her getting a tatoo was HER choice, therefore, it's HER OWN FAULT that she is treated differently.

Excuse me? Physical and mental disabilities are NOT a choice. Her getting a tatoo was HER choice, therefore, it's HER OWN FAULT that she is treated differently.

there are laws saying you can not discriminate against a person based upon sexual orientation, color, creed, physical or mental illness.... Altering your body is slightly different....

Plus if there is a law suit as long as the girl was not being discriminating and was just trying to keep what she deemed offensive out of the park they should be fine....

Guest rcfreak339

Eh, I'm stuck between this issue. I for one HATE tatoo's and I most likely would have not let her in either. I would I probably atleast have gotten her a free shirt so she can cover it up without really making a huge stir. If it condones violence I think it's against policy. People now a days take a offense to everything and I can bet someone in that park would have reported it and even made a bigger mess. She was just doing her job. Next time she should just wear a T-Shirt.

Eh, I'm stuck between this issue. I for one HATE tatoo's and I most likely would have not let her in either. I would I probably atleast have gotten her a free shirt so she can cover it up without really making a huge stir. If it condones violence I think it's against policy. People now a days take a offense to everything and I can bet someone in that park would have reported it and even made a bigger mess. She was just doing her job. Next time she should just wear a T-Shirt.

you know... offering her a free shirt probably would have made this a-ok