KI TR 5/27/2010

Lakota88

The big day finally arrived. My wife and I took our four-year-old daughter to KI for the first time. I grew up almost in the shadow of KI and went there a lot as a kid, but I moved out of state almost twenty years ago and had only been back once since. I couldn't wait to introduce my daughter to the park.

I knew things had changed a lot and I'd done a lot of research both here and on the official website. I was worried that my trip would be disappointing, just as it was around ten years ago when I went during the Paramount years. I was also worried that my daughter -- a bit of a chicken like I was at that age -- would be too scared to ride many rides.

I'm happy to say I was wrong on both counts.

Despite all the changes I still felt the heart and soul of KI past. And my daughter turned out to be a little daredevil, riding almost everything accessible to someone of her height.

Of all the changes in the park the one I was most worried about was Planet Snoopy. Even though I must say I still prefer Hanna Barbera Land, I was very impressed with PS. The theme is consistent and well-done throughout, and there is a great variety of fun rides for the young'uns. The landscaping is beautiful and the grounds were spotless, and all the employees were incredibly nice to all the kids there.

Since we were there primarily for my daughter we rarely strayed from PS. I think she hit double-digits in ride totals for her favorites there, including the Great Pumpkin coaster. And the ride operators graciously gave her repeat rides when the lines were short. But we did venture over to Coney Mall to introduce her to the Scrambler. One of my greatest KI memories from childhood is riding the Scrambler with my mom, bouncing against her on the outer swings of the ride and laughing all the way, so it was so wonderful to be able to share the same experience with my little girl. When it first started up I was a little nervous for her because it seemed a lot faster than I remembered, but she absolutely loved it. She demanded another ride as soon as it was over.

At around 2 o'clock we started getting hungry so we made a beeline for the buffet I'd heard so much about here. It was closed.

So we headed for Outer Hanks, which I'd also heard a lot about here. It was closed.

So we pulled out the map and looked for another spot. "Hey, let's check out the '50's diner." We walked all the way over to Coney Mall to the restaurant. It was closed.

This prompted a big "Double-you tee eff?" from me. I can understand a ride or two being closed for maintenance now and then, but how can you call the park open when the biggest eateries aren't? Regardless, we settled on some grub from the potato place in Rivertown and then boarded the KI&MV Railroad afterward as a relaxing ride to let our food settle a bit. This was one aspect of the park that really suffers in comparison to the old days when the train ride was actually an attraction with live actors and neat things to see as opposed to simply a way to get to Boomerang Bay and back.

After that is was more PS, and then the thunderstorms hit at around 5 o'clock or so, just as the forecasts predicted. Fortunately many of the PS rides stayed open during the rain and my daughter, undeterred by the showers, kept right on going.

Despite the afternoon showers and the inability to try some of the food I had my eye on, it couldn't have been a better day at the park. After almost ten hours of going non-stop she still didn't want to leave as 8 o'clock approached. She loved every ride she tried, and it was such a treat for me to see her enjoy the park just like I did when I was young.

The park looked great, the employees were helpful and nice, and we all had a wonderful time. Kudos to everyone at KI for the great work they do. We all can't wait to go back.

4073593_3887_625x625.jpg

Awww....that's really neat!

I had occasion to spend the entire day in Planet Snoopy with a co-worker, his wife and two young sons the other day. I agree, the workers there are uniformly wonderful. I was particularly impressed with Alexis at the school bus thingy. She was truly caring, fun, safety-minded and a model of what an ideal theme park ride operator should be. The kids adored her, and she did her job very well!

And how are they going to staff all those restaurants, the gift shops, the games and attractions AND the rides if much of the staff is still in school? Not to mention that these week days before school lets out are some of the lighter days crowd-wise. The park wisely put a higher priority on having the rides and attractions open...along with some of the most commonly used food locations. If you ran the park, you'd do the same. If you decided to fully staff the park regardless of expense and labor availability, you'd either soon decide to change your mind or the next owner would have that opportunity.

My question along these lines is a different one. Why does the park not open a few select retail locations and some food service on International Street before the park opens at 10? And why not keep the retail (resale) open later than they do? It seems to me that they are giving up profits there...and these are locations they have staffed during the day...

And how are they going to staff all those restaurants, the gift shops, the games and attractions AND the rides if much of the staff is still in school? Not to mention that these week days before school lets out are some of the lighter days crowd-wise. The park wisely put a higher priority on having the rides and attractions open...along with some of the most commonly used food locations. If you ran the park, you'd do the same. If you decided to fully staff the park regardless of expense and labor availability, you'd either soon decide to change your mind or the next owner would have that opportunity. . .

That's what I guessed. Still, if they aren't going to open everything they should add an asterisk to the park calendar for those days.

But I'd take the light crowd over open restaurants any day, so we still left happy.

I guess that makes sense, I wasn't thinking about everybody still being in school...It just stinks that someone would have to walk to three of four different locations to find out they're closed. But I agree - rides are the priority, because I'll probably just bring a cooler with lunch in it instead of paying a few extra nickels for the park's food.

I am glad your trip went so well! smile.gif It was fun to have somebody comparing Planet Snoopy to HB Land...and not NU...it was like a time warp.

Since we were there primarily for my daughter we rarely strayed from PS.

I loved reading this comment...this is what a trip to the park with little ones should be. You must be great parents. smile.gif

(2 things at the park break my heart...a parent forcing a kid to ride something...and a kid waiting in a "kiddie coral" all by their lonesome.)

Its reports like these, that make me smile and look forward to taking my (future) family to Kings Island and create wonderful memories of our own. But, until then, Cedar Point this Monday and Tuesday haha! I'm glad you and your family had a great time.