Beast trains

SixFlagsMasta

ok, http://www.fu.org/fu/recent/The%20Beast.jpg unless the color on cameras was really bad back then, it looks like the trains are yellow/orange. i was under the assumption that the trains have been the same since opening. did they used to have yellow/orange trains?

umm. i know i didn't put this in the employee section. i don't know why the hack in it's here so don't yell at me for putting it under the wrong spot.

Edited by SixFlagsMasta

Actually The Beast did use to have different trains? Notice how some of the loading stalls don't line up to the seats in the station? I Beleive the old trains use to have 4 rows per car too, i'm not sure about that. But the trains did use to look different. Anyone been around longer than some of us, could be explain it to us?

Thanks

Yes, originally The Beast used five, four row PTC trains, which resulted in 40 people per train. If you look at the station, you will notice that all the gates are in groups of four becuase of the original trains. I don`t know when or why they switched to 6, 3 row PTC trains, but my guess would be the new trains tracked better. I think they changed to the current trains fairly early in The Beast`s career.

That pic is VERY faded (probablt just a bad scan). The color of the trains have been the same since day one with the exception of the claw marks on the side of the train which, I believe, came in '99 for the 20 year anniversary . They have never been yellow or orange

Your wrong. Read my post above.

I don`t know when or why they switched to 6, 3 row PTC trains, but my guess would be the new trains tracked better. I think they changed to the current trains fairly early in The Beast`s career.

I am sure they changed for that reason, and probably also the fact that splitting things like curves and bends are easier to do, and create less stress when spread over 6 cars instead of 5.

That pic is VERY faded (probablt just a bad scan).  The color of the trains have been the same since day one with the exception of the claw marks on the side of the train which, I believe, came in '99 for the 20 year anniversary .  They have never been yellow or orange

Your wrong. Read my post above.

No I am not wrong, the only color has been the deep red. Please show us another color to support yourself.

As a matter of fact, if you look at the link for thrill ride it will show the trains even before Paramount (Kings Island on the front of the train) took over, and before the trains were changed from 4 rows to 3 (3rd to last pic).

And another link from when the ride first opened (look at the trees not full grown in yet)

Beast

Have a nice day! laugh.gif

Edited by browntggrr

um.. just to let ya know, i'm pretty sure they didn't plant many new trees but preserved as much as possible when making the ride. i also believe someone above stated that the trains ORIGINALLY had the fireball painting then we're all red even with the 4 row. and then the new trains were put on. so your saying that the trains have always been red doesn't prove anything. we want pics not what people THINK they know.

[As a matter of fact, if you look at the link for thrill ride it will show the trains even before Paramount (Kings Island on the front of the train) took over, and before the trains were changed from 4 rows to 3 (3rd to last pic).

Actually, the picture that you are referring to only shows the FIRST car. Which has always been RED. So thats correct. However, if you look at the aerial shot on Thrill Ride, you can see the colors fade on the train. Check out the train on lift two, take a look at the last car. There are pictures in some books that I have that do show the old colors. When the ride ran 4 bench cars, the paint scheme did fade from the lead car back. Check out this picture from a 1979-1980 picture book: http://pkiconnect.tripod.com/1979_Page_Sixteen.htm

You can't tell me THAT picture is faded, because clearly nothing else in the picture has any type of color variation.

- Todd

My referral to the trees had nothing to do with new trees being planted, but, had to do with the trees' maturity. If you look in the helix in the pics from theme park insider, there are no trees in the helix. In the pics from Thrill Ride, there are trees that are obviously much taller. Even in the pics from PKICONNECTION the trees are taller in the helix. The pic does state that there was a color change from red to green which is an obvious fake. Even in Trill Ride! all the cars on the train are pictured going down the hill, twice, and all are red.

Browntgrr, there is a book written by Scott Rutherford. I forget the exact title of it, but on like the second or third pages there is an image of Coney Island`s shooting star. Anyway, later in that book is a picture of The Beast covering two pages. This picture, I believe from 1979, shows the unenclosed helix as well as the trains that went from red and faded to a yellowish green color.

Secondly, I don`t think that image of The Beast is a fake. Those images are all from a picture book that Kings Island sold or gave out in 1979. I don`t believe that the image is a fake. If you click on the PKIarchive section and then the 1979 picture book, you can see that this book is a book that Kings Island published and distributed at the park.

The picture on the PKI Connection website is a scan from a 1979 souvenir booklet that I own. As I write this, I have the book in front of me. The picture in the book is the same as the one on the website. If the picture is a fake or a doctored one, it was done by either Kings Island or the publishing company, Dexter Press.

That picture isn't faded, it's the old trains. Thats what color they used to be. Look at the top of the train where the lap bar is and you'll notice the single lap bair for both riders just like beastie. These are the old Beast trains the color is fine. Maybe not the original trains but they are older trains.

Maybe fake was a wrong way to put it, just a bad pic (it was 1979).  I did put in the question to PKI's customer service at the website.  They will hopefully get back to me soon.

You sent them an email? Ugh... Weren't the several pictures and the several member replies evidence enough for you?

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

PKI finally did get back to me about the color of The Beast trains. They actually called me at home!

In the pics that show the train being green, it really is green. That was also at media day, before the park opened to the GP in 1979. The trains were shipped and tested in the green color and than painted to the origional color as they are today. This also explains why the train color is in the 1979 souvenier edition, media day was the day that all the pics and advertising were done to promote The Beast. From what most of the HR department can remember, the color was not decided until after that day, something to do with that green clashing with the forest color.

Debbie in the HR department thought that it was really funny that the pic is still around, and was even more surprised that someone in the office even knew as to why it was green since that was under KI not PKI.

Even more intresting was that the name "The Beast" was not decided until the upper brass of KI rode it for the first time, and they all agreed that when the train goes through the tunnels, it sounds like a roar.

Edited by browntggrr

That picture is just really faded. I mean, look at the wood on the track, and The Beast's claws in the corner. They look red, when they should be brown. I don't think it ever had yellow trains.

I actually miss the old red color of The Beast's structure. The brown is finally growing on me, after quite a few years.

I like how well the ride blends with its surroundings now...which I'm guessing is why they changed colors in the first place.

Also, I have a copy of ACE News from April 1979. (Wasn't called ACE News then, though) In one of the articles, the author describes seeing the trains' dramatic color scheme as each one returned to the station. I didn't remember the orig. trains too well, so those pics were helpful.