Cedar Point TR May 30, 2010

gigacoaster2k

I had decided since I had Sunday and Monday off, I'd go to Cedar Point on Sunday. My excitement quickly diminished when I saw to my horror that it was free admission day for active/retired military (don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting them, but my thoughts immediately went to "crowds").

Tom decided that he wanted to go with me. We both had to work late Saturday night, but tossed sleep aside in favor of going to Cedar Point. We both got about 3 hours of sleep, and headed out around 5:15 am.

On the way there, I drank a vanilla Starbucks Doubleshot to wake up. This did absolutely nothing to wake me.. in fact, half of a 6 oz can of Red Bull woke me up faster than that did. I suggested Millie as our first ride of the day, and he quickly agreed.

We got to the park shortly before 9 am, and arrived at the marina gate to see that Millie's yellow train was stuck on the lift. At 9 am, I crossed my fingers as my pass was scanned.. my photo came up! I yelled "YES, IT SCANNED!!" and the girl gave me a funny look.

We walked to Millie to see it down mechanical, with a line back to the Red Garter saloon. We saw Single Rider Bob and chatted with him for a few minutes, and also learned Maverick was down. So we headed for Raptor.. it was walk on! Rode in the very back row.. FANTASTIC!

We decided to head from there to see if Millie was working.. nope, my coaster was still down, so we went to Maverick to see an empty train sent out, and right after that, a train loaded with people! We got in the hideously long line (no turnstiles were open, so the line was wrapped around the queue). We waited about half an hour, and chose row 6 once we got to the station. We also saw a Canada steamship on the water. Maverick in row 6 is truly unbelievable.. I don't scream on coasters, but this one did it!

We decided to head to Magnum, which had a small wait. I got to see my friends working the ride, which made me very happy! We rode in seat 1:2.. holy ouch airtime, and the trim was off! I LOVE IT!

Tom wanted a ride on Dragster, which didn't bother me one bit. It was quickly getting very hot, so we grabbed cups of water and entered the line. It was posted at 3/4 hour, but we waited about half an hour. I absolutely love Dragster's launch, and I took a look around at the top.. astounding view. Dragster never fails to impress me.

Heading back toward the front, we took a ride on Power Tower Space Shot.. nice way to cool off, and what a view!

We headed to the car for some food. I also took this opportunity to put on a lot of sunscreen, and remove 1 of the 2 tank tops I'd worn, as I was sweating to death.

Back in the park we went, and hit Wicked Twister.. which was queueing. This worried me.. the only other time I've seen WT queue was during HalloWeekends or on a Saturday. We were assigned to row 5, and I wondered for a second why they were assigning seats, but I blew it off. Row 5 was a surprisingly good ride, especially on the right side.. it's also one of the magic seats!

We headed for my beloved Millennium Force. The wait wasn't bad.. 3/4 hour! I was afraid it would be longer. We waited about half an hour.. the capacity on this ride has improved greatly. The line moves faster than it did last year, there is a definite marked difference. We also saw 2 line jumpers removed from the line by security. We sat in our favorite seat.. 1:2. Tom and I both noticed that you definitely feel the forces in the overbanks in that seat, not to mention you feel a little airtime on the hills to and from Millennium Island, the return hill being a little stronger. A terrific ride as always.. I LOVE YOU, MILLIE!!

We walked toward the very back of the park toward CP/LE Railroad, and rode the full circuit. This is by far the best railroad I've ridden at any park I've been to.. the scenery just can not be beat. Astounding views of Millie, Maverick, Mantis, Shoot the Rapids, hilarious bonetown animations, it's a great train ride that I rarely pass up.

Tom decided he wanted to ride the Tilt-A-Whirl in Camp Snoopy. I passed this one up. My stomach doesn't like those rides very much, but he sure had a great time!

We headed back to Magnum, and rode in the second seat from the back. The wait has diminished, but my friends were gone and it made me sad.

On the way back from Magnum, we saw Shoot The Rapids testing! Not only were there boats loaded with dummies, there was one boat with ride ops! The ride looks fun, and guaranteed to get you soaked. I can't wait for it to open.. it was torture watching it test on such a hot day and not being able to ride just yet!

We were getting tired and in need of food and water, so we headed to the front to ride one of my favorite woodies.. Blue Streak! It was a total walk on! We sat in 1:3.. holy ejector air! My thighs hurt from slamming upward into the restraint.. YES!! This little old coaster has a nice wallop!

Out to the car we went, and I slammed down quite a bit of Gatorade, and we ate. Going back into the park, we were still hungry, so we stopped and ate at Hurricane Hannah's. Tom got pizza and I got nachos. They gave me so many nachos that I couldn't finish them all!

I suddenly realized that with all the times I've visited CP, I've never ridden their oldest operating ride, so we walked over to the Midway Carousel. I love things with historical significance, so it was really cool to ride something that had been standing since 1912.

I suggested we ride Raptor. It was posted at 3/4 hour wait, but it was more like 20 minutes. This guy and 3 or 4 of his friends line jumped us because "they were in a group." Lately I've taken the attitude that if it's one person, or if someone is coming back with drinks on a hot day, I could care less.. but this was just too many people. My response to him was a sarcastic "It's OK, I understand some people are in a hurry." His entire group stood aside and let Tom and I in front of them.

We chose row 6, train number 1, Tom explaining to me that this train/row was what gave him one of the greatest rides of his life.

As we were dispatching, the train stopped halfway out of the station. The people behind us, obviously GP, started straight up panicking and screaming LET ME OFF. We saw a ride op frantically open the restricted area gate and RUN into the restricted area.. there were people in the restricted area! The operator announced that they were going to take us out and stop us on the lift. When it stopped, it was weird.. it jolted backward. The people behind us started screaming again. Fed up, I yelled back "The ride op said he was going to fix it, that is what they are doing." I got a scared little "shut the f**** up, I didn't ask you." LOL. The ride finally started, and Tom was right about that train/seat.. it was indeed a terrific ride! I love Raptor!

I had wanted to ride Giant Wheel, but it was queueing and it was loading slowly. Mantis had the trim off on the drop, so we went to ride it. It was posted at an hour wait, but we waited about 10 minutes. We sat.. well, stood in row 2. I'd forgotten how rough the second half of this ride is.. ouch. I did get to see my friend in the control booth that worked Millie last year, though.

We went to Magnum, and this time I saw one of my friends.. poor thing looked so tired. We sat in 1:2 again, W00T!! I looked at the main lot from the top of the lift to see it nearly full. This confused me, as the ride lines weren't that long.

Off to Wicked Twister we went, then Power Tower Space Shot. While being seated on Power Tower, we saw a ride op bust a line jumper. He argued with her, and she made him re-enter the line. He jumped the line again when he thought she wasn't looking, and she promptly picked up the phone and called security. Their zero tolerance policy makes me smile.

We had decided on Millie for last ride. On the way, Tom grabbed some cookies and cream Dippin Dots for us to share.. YUMMY!! The wait for Millie was posted at 1 hour, we waited about 45 minutes. We moved from the pop machines to the next queue in 15 minutes.. all I have to say is GO MILLIE RIDE CREW GO! We chose seat 1:2, and were on the second to last train of the night.. I'd forgotten how intense Millie's night ride is. It felt out of control, crazy, speeding through the darkness with no intention of slowing down through any overbank or hill.. wow, just wow, awesome, amazing night ride.

As we came back to the station, I saw the crew getting ready to dispatch the next empty train. There was a ride op on each side, frantically fastening belts and pushing down lap bars as fast as they could while another ride op from the front yelled "GO, GO, GO, GO, GO!" That right there blew me away. I've never seen the MF crew so dedicated.

Although crowded and very hot, we still had an amazing day at the Point!

Ride count:

Magnum - 3

Millie - 2

Raptor - 2

Power Tower Space Shot - 2

Wicked Twister - 2

Midway Carousel - 1

Maverick - 1

Dragster - 1

Mantis - 1

Blue Streak - 1

CP/LE Railroad - 1

Tilt-A-Whirl - Tom 1, me 0

Not bad for a semi-crowded day, if I do say so myself! :)

Wow, you guys got alot of rides in for such a busy day! True ride warriors! :D

Every lot was full, yet Millie and TTD had hour waits or less, Raptor and Magnum had virtually no wait, but the mild rides and water rides were queueing or jam packed. Skyhawk and maXair had full queues all day, yet Blue Streak was empty, WT was queueing, and Magnum's line got shorter throughout the day. It was very strange.

Yeah that is kinda weird. Although I am very excited for HWN in a few days, your TR makes me miss Cedar Point so much. I only got to go once last year, and I feel like I haven't been in forever. Plus I miss all the coasters, rides, and atmosphere that CP has to offer. :(

We also saw a Canada steamship on the water.

Most Likely you saw a freighter, not to many steamship are to be found on Lake Erie or in the Sandusky Bay

We decided to head to Magnum, which had a small wait. I got to see my friends working the ride, which made me very happy! We rode in seat 1:2.. holy ouch airtime, and the trim was off! I LOVE IT!

1.3 owns 1.2 in air time, it is the only way to ride up front

We walked toward the very back of the park toward CP/LE Railroad, and rode the full circuit. This is by far the best railroad I've ridden at any park I've been to.. the scenery just can not be beat. Astounding views of Millie, Maverick, Mantis, Shoot the Rapids, hilarious bonetown animations, it's a great train ride that I rarely pass up.

Although a top notch railroad, and my preferred mode of transport to and from Frontier Town, there are better amusement railways. Most notably, Dollywood Express also the Tweetsie Railroad (Name of road and park) come to mind. Both of those destroy CP&LE's scenery. The train however is the only ride to have it's own website http://www.cplerr.com/.

I suddenly realized that with all the times I've visited CP, I've never ridden their oldest operating ride, so we walked over to the Midway Carousel. I love things with historical significance, so it was really cool to ride something that had been standing since 1912.

What CP has done with that thing is just awful. The band organ is destroyed, the mechanics and floor were changed in the 1994 move which give it that horrendous groaning sound. At least they gave the horses fresh paint this year, but the new rounding board scheme is terrible. They best thing about the carousel, is that it still operates. Don't forget about the Kiddie Kingdom carousel, which is a Dentzel menagerie that operates nicely but for some reason has carpet on it. I might as well go for the Superfecta, Cedar Downs has been slowed down to much and the new music is awful; the Frontier Town carousel is all but one horse in Allentown.

Mantis had the trim off on the drop, so we went to ride it. It was posted at an hour wait, but we waited about 10 minutes. We sat.. well, stood in row 2. I'd forgotten how rough the second half of this ride is.. ouch.

I also got a trimless ride earlier this year, with out that trim the first two inversion are highly forcefull. I even blacked out for second, however after that it is a headbanging paloza.

^ Well someone is a bit of a Debbie Downer.

debbie-downer.jpg

I've learned over time that he likes to correct me and many others. I'm over it. ;)

Tom and I clearly saw a very long red boat that said in big white capital letters, CANADA STEAMER LINES. I've also seen one from the top of MF's lift. I'll be happy to post a photo for those who don't believe me.

On opening day, I saw a barge with the CANADA STEAMER LINES on it as well....

And for someone who likes to preach to others about how they complain about in park food pricing, I see you ate twice...at your car....

As for your experience at Raptor, if you could care less, then you do care some! :)

And for someone who likes to preach to others about how they complain about in park food pricing, I see you ate twice...at your car....

Yeah, I noticed that as well...It's okay though! This will be the first season in three or four that I haven't purchased a CF Season Pass (Maxx Pass/Platinum Pass), only planning one trip to both Kings Island and Cedar Point. When I had the Platinum Pass, I was less likely to eat in the park since I went so frequently. But now with only one visit to each park this year, I'm planning on eating inside the park!

Back to the topic at hand...great TR! I keep reading all of these reports and can't hardly wait to go to either Kings Island or Cedar Point!!!

In giga's defense, if my choices were to buy that horrendously awful crap that Cedar Point calls pizza this year (and I LOVED the Chuck Wagon pizza last year) or eat Crackerjacks and soda crackers in the car, I'd choose the latter. I do love me some Cedar Point frozen custard, though...but only at the stand in front of the kiddie fountain at the front and by Maverick and the walking tacos in the back...the others serve soft serve light ice cream, which is not even remotely the same thing...

We headed to the car for some food. I also took this opportunity to put on a lot of sunscreen, and remove 1 of the 2 tank tops I'd worn, as I was sweating to death.

From someone I know's Facebook:

"________ just spent $9 on a 1/4lb hot dog and a 20oz soda. I'm hungry.. besides, I think people who don't spend 1 cent in a park have zero reason to complain when the park doesn't meet their standards.. give and you shall receive, that's how I feel about it."

Next time you have a gripe, I'm going to post this again.

I'm only warning you because we're friends. :rolleyes:

From someone I know's Facebook:

"________ just spent $9 on a 1/4lb hot dog and a 20oz soda. I'm hungry.. besides, I think people who don't spend 1 cent in a park have zero reason to complain when the park doesn't meet their standards.. give and you shall receive, that's how I feel about it."

Next time you have a gripe, I'm going to post this again.

I'm only warning you because we're friends. :rolleyes:

"Warn" me all you want, I still spend money in the park.. I'm one of the few that enjoys CF park food, and you know this! gosh you're such a meanie :P

...horrendously awful crap that Cedar Point calls pizza...

I was actually looking forward to it because they made it sound like an improvement over last year's pizza. I should have known, especially since they're giving bigger slices away this year.

• 2 weeks later...

We also saw a Canada steamship on the water.

Most Likely you saw a freighter, not to many steamship are to be found on Lake Erie or in the Sandusky Bay

1.3 owns 1.2 in air time, it is the only way to ride up front

Although a top notch railroad, and my preferred mode of transport to and from Frontier Town, there are better amusement railways. Most notably, Dollywood Express also the Tweetsie Railroad (Name of road and park) come to mind. Both of those destroy CP&LE's scenery. The train however is the only ride to have it's own website http://www.cplerr.com/.

What CP has done with that thing is just awful. The band organ is destroyed, the mechanics and floor were changed in the 1994 move which give it that horrendous groaning sound. At least they gave the horses fresh paint this year, but the new rounding board scheme is terrible. They best thing about the carousel, is that it still operates. Don't forget about the Kiddie Kingdom carousel, which is a Dentzel menagerie that operates nicely but for some reason has carpet on it. I might as well go for the Superfecta, Cedar Downs has been slowed down to much and the new music is awful; the Frontier Town carousel is all but one horse in Allentown.

Mantis had the trim off on the drop, so we went to ride it. It was posted at an hour wait, but we waited about 10 minutes. We sat.. well, stood in row 2. I'd forgotten how rough the second half of this ride is.. ouch.

I also got a trimless ride earlier this year, with out that trim the first two inversion are highly forcefull. I even blacked out for second, however after that it is a headbanging paloza.

I saw the carousel last year and it looked worse! Aside with the broken Wurlitzer 153 that angers me enough. There were obnoxious Kids jumping on the horses... Yes I cussed them out! The Kiddie Kingdom carousel is in better shape. Even though that organ isn't working either.