Son of Beast Overhaul Poll

McSalsa

I haven't made a poll in a while, and mustn't get rusty! And look, it's...another Son of Beast poll.

This time, I ask: "What kind of overhaul do you think would be most effective at helping Son of Beast?". I give 5 options (yes, sadly removal is one of them but that's only if you believe the ride has NO HOPE WHATSOEVER) but there is an OTHER option, if you have a different idea. I also ask "Does the Layout need changed?" and as a bonus, after an overhaul, should the ride be marketed or re-open quietly?

This isn't a "What do you think will happen" poll, it's a "what do you think WOULD WORK THE BEST?" one. Though I am aware that some of the above options may not be available in real life for Son of Beast (for example, Intamin seems to have shown ZERO interest in doing an overhaul, etc) I did list them.

Try to enjoy the poll...(though I have seen how these SOB polls can get!)...and if you don't like it or it gets too crazy here, click back.wink.gif

PS: Yes, I did check and there doesn't seem to be any SOB overhaul poll yet...so this.

I say do the prefab, but also add some/all steel supports. So basically change it to a steel coaster :P

I like the layout of SOB, but just not the roughness. The layout is fine, if anything, make it longer and/or take out the trims, and MAYBE re-add the loop?

Prefab and adding steel supports? That's going to cost a ton...

why does it have to be cheap? I'm looking at least $10 - $15 mil to redesign and renovate the SOB, but to the extent it'll be as nice as a new ride, and yet cheaper than the $22 million it cost to build Diamondback!

I'm not even going to answer that. 

I don't think Son of Beast will get pre fab track or the iron horse track. If you ask me I think the rose bowl should be removed.

If they decide to fix SOB again, I think they need to go all out and convert at least some of the structure to steel. I would like to see them leave the path of the ride alone, but getting the train to turn (any train, Timberliner or not) at 75 MPH on wood will not be smooth for long. It would be interesting to know who thought that would work out in the first place.

If they're having this much trouble getting the Timberliners to work on Voyage, a less demanding ride designed by the same company as the trains and at a park where there aren't very many other priorities, imagine Cedar Fair putting them on Son of Beast....

Jackson, who wishes that "Burn Son of Beast!" And "Put Timberliners on it!" Would die...

why does it have to be cheap? I'm looking at least $10 - $15 mil to redesign and renovate the SOB, but to the extent it'll be as nice as a new ride, and yet cheaper than the $22 million it cost to build Diamondback!

I'm not even going to answer that. 

I don't think Son of Beast will get pre fab track or the iron horse track. If you ask me I think the rose bowl should be removed.

We get the point you hate the Son of Beast ok? But every time I make a comment about the "iron horse track" you make a comment afterwords "hey you know how much that costs?" and its getting annoying quite frankly. I"m not even the one who suggested no brought the idea up, I'm just another poster on this board agreeing with it. So attack the person who first suggested it.

I'm looking at least $10 - $15 mil to redesign and renovate the SOB, but to the extent it'll be as nice as a new ride, and yet cheaper than the $22 million it cost to build Diamondback!

If $10 to $15,000,000 were that easy, why bother with SoB at all and just start over?

El Toro was $12,000,000

Voyage was $6,500,000

Ravine Flyer II was $6,000,000

Each is a great ride with a great layout, whereas SoB has neither.

Also, by renovate, exactly what do you believe needs to be renovated that has not already been done?

I'm looking at least $10 - $15 mil to redesign and renovate the SOB, but to the extent it'll be as nice as a new ride, and yet cheaper than the $22 million it cost to build Diamondback!

If $10 to $15,000,000 were that easy, why bother with SoB at all and just start over?

El Toro was $12,000,000

Voyage was $6,500,000

Ravine Flyer II was $6,000,000

Each is a great ride with a great layout, whereas SoB has neither.

Also, by renovate, exactly what do you believe needs to be renovated that has not already been done?

The more we talk about it, I dunno what they can do really to fix the ride. the iron horse idea seemed like a good idea until Terpy pointed out that the track didn't break in '06, no the structure broke and caused the track to break. an Iron track seems like it would just put more weight on the track causing more wear and tear on it.

And yes like you said Voyage which is what I hear a great coaster, didn't cost as much as Son of Beast, and is less than it would cost to renovate the current Son of Beast. Overall I look back and wonder why Paramount parks thought it would be a good idea to get "Roller coaster company of America" to build such a big edition to the park. Son of Beast probably wouldn't of had near as many problems had they given the project to someone more experienced at making wooden Coasters.