Storm/Computers

CincyMan98

Guest rcfreak339

Yes....It's a myth really. By they logic it is possible although very, very rare but it if did happen it would not just damage your computer. It would damage anything electronic in your house.

Yes....It's a myth really. By they logic it is possible although very, very rare but it if did happen it would not just damage your computer. It would damage anything electronic in your house.

It is not a myth. After every electrical storm, much electronic equipment needs servicing/replacing. Computers not plugged in can't get damaged. But, it's your equipment, do what you wish.

Guest rcfreak339

Terpy is correct. But you shouldn't just protect your computer, protect everything in your house connected to a outlet.

Sorry I put this in the wrong forum. It's on Kings Island :/

I was in a rush. Anyways, the lightning isn't bad here so at this time I don't really need to worry. But I will take your guys' advice in the future!

To be 100% safe no you shouldn't be on a computer during a storm. However, it is highly unlikely that you would be struck by lightning, just if it does happen you will probably lose most of your electronics and could be struck while connected. This happened at my oral surgeon's office back in March, they lost all computers, phone system, and oxygen basically shutting them down for anything more than consultations. Also either a phone or cable tech was in the building at the time the lightning hit and was injured by the strike.

Unfortunately even if your car was hit at 88 mph you will not be able to travel through time...

Speaking of storms and computers, we just had a power surge about 20 minutes ago, and now my laptop is stuck. I think a reload will hopefully fix it, but that will be tomorrow's project-and it got zapped because my wireless card has not worked in over a year so it was plugged in. Lesson learned.

Only time I ever had an issue, In 2006 I had a brand new laptop. Had it for only two days mind you. I was surfing the net sitting in my lounge chair hooked up to wireless only, not even the charger was on it. A big storm rolled through and heard a loud boom. My laptop was instantly fried. Took it back to Microcenter in Sharonville from which it came. They opened it and said it was fried beyond repair so they replaced it on the spot.