Flight Deck (aka Top Gun)

selective

I wonder how the cost/profit ratio would compare to repainting Flight Deck, or removing it and adding another attraction its place? I'd like to think the latter would have a lot more reward, despite it's high cost. It's obvious that Upper management, for the time being, sees high value attractions as the way to go. Look at Behemoth, Diamondback, Intimdator, I305, Shoot the Rapids, etc. Would they be willing to replace a tired family attraction with a newer addition?

S&S has stated they will not provide parts for that model anymore...I believe that, when the time comes that Draggin Iron needs spare parts, Cedar Fair would not shed a tear over loosing Vortex, Flight Deck, or both.

Jackson, doing some random speculating for one side of the argument. I can do the other side, too....

I wonder how the cost/profit ratio would compare to repainting Flight Deck, or removing it and adding another attraction its place? I'd like to think the latter would have a lot more reward, despite it's high cost. It's obvious that Upper management, for the time being, sees high value attractions as the way to go. Look at Behemoth, Diamondback, Intimdator, I305, Shoot the Rapids, etc. Would they be willing to replace a tired family attraction with a newer addition?

S&S has stated they will not provide parts for that model anymore...I believe that, when the time comes that Draggin Iron needs spare parts, Cedar Fair would not shed a tear over loosing Vortex, Flight Deck, or both.

Jackson, doing some random speculating for one side of the argument. I can do the other side, too....

When did they say that? The only thing that I can think of is that arrowdynamics.com redirects to S&S's site.

Either way, Vekoma provides parts for some Arrow coasters (like the swinging suspended model). But do you have to buy their trains first, or can you just buy parts? It would be great if KI bought Vekoma trains and renamed Flight Deck to Afterburn. Maybe extend the ride to the SoB area, or if SoB will reopen, have it go over and under SoB and come back, and put in a new (or even used) invert?wink.gif

Sometimes I don't think its a coincidence that Flight Deck has been "let go" (cosmetically). Given Son of Beast's issues over the last few years and its proximity to Flight Deck, that entire area could be redone with a new attraction(s).

This is where my betting money is.

This I disagree with in part, only for have you ever been to CW and rode their Vortex? Unlike Flight Deck which is hidden half way in "no-mans land" and the parking lot, CW's Vortex sits in the center of the park, usually with long lines to boot. I would think Flight Deck will be scrapped before CW's Vortex.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that location is one of Flight Deck's biggest enemies at the moment when it comes to ridership and the cosmetic attention it receives. It sits far back in Action Zone and with the Son of Beast closed the area just seems a bit dead, and Flight Deck seems forgotten. I haven't had a wait for the ride yet all season, and I ride it every time I visit.

I believe that what happens with Son of Beast will definitely affect Flight Deck in some way or another, not sure how so but a few different scenarios I could see happening are:

a.) Son of Beast either reopens or is replaced by a new attraction, which puts that area of the park, as well as Flight Deck, back into the spotlight, resulting in Flight Deck getting some much needed TLC and being spruced up with some of the following: new paint, new trains, landscaping, signage etc.

b.) Son of Beast does not reopen, and it and Flight Deck are removed for some sort of new attraction(s).

c.) Son of Beast does not reopen and Flight Deck remains in its current state a few more years before being removed.

Just a few things for thought... I love the ride and hope it gets some TLC and stays, but as it is right now, those are a few things I could see happening.

Actually, one of my favorite things about Flight Deck is it's location. I like how it's in the woods and you have to walk a bit to get to it, kind of like The Beast. I'm not a big fan of how newer rides are all about concrete, aluminum, and direct sunlight.

I don't mean the actual coaster's location, I mean where the line starts. It's very hard to find. The location of the ride is great, with the hills and woods, but not the start of the queue.

^That's not the point, it's just so hidden. At least put a bigger sign somewhere in the front of Action Zone, showing where it is.

Well then you may want to clarify yourself as to what you point is. As you can see, you clearly mentioned the start of the queue in reference to the ride location.

But if you meant a larger queue sign, then no, KI does not need a bigger sign.

People walk by signs, all the time, ignoring them. Even with the largest of signs pointing a direction in front of them, people will still have no clue which way to go.

I have loved Flight Deck ever since the first time I rode it as Top Gun. It always was my favorite coaster until I took a spin on The Beast. The only thing I didn't like, however, was that the ride had a ridicullously long queue line for such a short ride. It takes longer to get to the ride when the lines are walk-on than to ride the actual ride in it's entirety. A flight Deck name change, extenstion, and painting would make me a very happy camper.

• 10 months later...

Seeing how this ride is so far away from everything, it's a shame it doesn't last long.

The Beast was extended with a second lift hill years after it was first made, so why not do the same with another coaster?

Just my thoughts, and I'm curious if others think the same.

WHAT? O.K. I am going to ignore the 2nd line.

I have always thought from the first day I rode it that Top-Swoops-Deck has had tons of energy at the brake run. I could easily see a couple of elements added before the brake. How about a big swooping turn over the queue?

Yeah, it really slams on the brakes. It could swoop over the queue and dip down low to the ground and THEN go into the brake run.

Every year, the trains are rebuilt, making them look new.

I have a major complaint about FD and Vortex, that seatbelt. I am 6`6, and I can no longer ride these two rides without popping my hip out of joint because of how I have to sit in the car to get the seatbelt to fasten. I used to love these two rides, and now, well, I can't. Very upsetting.

Oh and don't forget, a section of Beast is technically rebuilt every offseason. This year, it was the first turn that was reprofiled.