First Big Coaster?

muppetfan1999

Can't say this was my first big coaster but I now remember my first coaster.

It was what is now called The Great Pumpkin Coaster, and to make a long story short, I hated it. I was crying the second we went down the first hill. (Keep in mind that I was only 3, I think my brother made me go on it)

Then about 4 years later, I went back, rode Woodstock Express, (then called Fairly-Odd coaster) and the same thing happened. Went up the first hill was excited on the lift, cried the whole way through. I then went over to Great Pumpkin, (then called Little Bills Giggle Coaster) and loved it.

Ahhhhh, (mostly bad) memories......

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i was about 4 or 5, pre-school aged. I remember riding on The Beastie.:rolleyes: At first i knew nothing about amusement parks such as ki. I just thought it was a big carnival that came to town with a new ride, so i was excited. I got in, pull the bar down sitting next to my sister who was about 17 at the time and my mom who is now 54. We all had our hands up screaming WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Man I miss being young.(makes sad face now) my first big coaster came when i was 10, The Vortex, 7th car, 2nd set, right side. Still my favorite seat till this day, well maybe the left side more than the right lol.

I'm guessing I was about 3 when I first rode the Scooby Zoom (Great Pumpkin Coaster), I loved every ride on it, eventually moved onto The Beastie, and have been hooked ever since. My first 'big' coaster was The Beast and my first looping coaster was Vortex.

• 2 weeks later...

I was riding coasters, inside my Mommy's tummy--when she was six months pregnant! Such a thing would never be allowed now!

I also was riding adult coasters by the time I was three...and there were no height minimums at most parks back then...By the time I was four, I had ridden the major adult coaster several hundred times in the park nearest the town where I grew up....and this was in the pay by the ride days!

Very similar story for me. My mom rode The Racer in the summer of '72 while pregnant with me (I was born Dec. '72).

I don't remember my first time riding one out of the womb, but I was probably 3 or 4 on the then-Scooby Doo and The Racer, back when the height requirements weren't what they are today.

I was 7 and was pulled onto The Racer with him on our annual park trip (edition 1994)... scared me to death... Also rode Beastie and Adventure Express that day too. Those too scared me... Took me 7 years to ride another coaster. during my eighth grade trip to KI I got on Reptar several times, until I got tired of it. My grandmother who helped fund my trip stated that the money was given to me on one condition.... she said I'd have to bring her back an on ride photo of me on The Beast. I one upped her when my teacher tricked me onto SOB for extra credit. My coaster fears have been broken ever since.

Mine was Beast in 2001, it may have also been Top Gun/Racer/Vortex/Adventure Express because 2001 was the first year I was tall enough to ride those. I didn't become 54"+ until 2003 and thats when I first rode Face/Off/Flight of Fear/Delirium/Tomb Raider.

Up until I was seven or eight the only coasters I would ride was Adventure Express and (then called) The Beastie. You would be lucky to get me to ride The Racer! Then in 2004 when I was seven or eight I rode The Beast. I can remember how nervous I was. My dad insisted that it wasn't much, so I rode. I got off thinking that it was the roughest thing in the world, but that opinion's changed since!

To this day my first ride on The Beast is the moment that changed my opinion of big rides. Within the next few years we started making trips to Cedar Point, and now I'm addicted!

I rode my first coaster when I was either 1 or younger. The ride was Scooby Zoom, now Great Pumpkin Coaster. We have an on ride picture where you can barely see my head above the bar, the photo was dated 1997 and I was born in 1996 so it depends if I rode it before or after my birthday. My first big wooden coaster was The Legend at Holiday World and my first big steel coaster was Top Thrill Dragster.

Vortex!

I remember seeing The Vortex Commercials on TV and I was dieing to ride it. I was only 7 at that point. 2 years later I got my wish. Unfortunately it wasn't my first coaster ever, as The Beastie was the very first, but The Vortex was right after... and man it scared the heck out of me! But it apparently didn't leave any emotional scars because 21 years later its the ride I've ridden the most at Kings Island. It used to be a ride I hit up 2 -3 times, though I've been so much lately I haven't been riding it as much.

Summer 1999. Indiana Beach. Hoosier Hurricane. Loved it, rode it 3 times in a row, and feel in love with roller coasters. I was 9 years old.

Then, we came to Kings Island in August 2000. I saw Son of Beast, and it scared the (Insert word for poo here) out of me (I could have rode it, but was too scared to do so!). Then, later in the day, we rode Racer, and I thought I was going to fly out (I know realize it was just airtime).

I would not recover from that until May 16th, 2009...first, my sister tricked me into riding The Crypt (It was boring, but was my first upside-down ride) and then I rode Beast and was cured. Though airtime would return and scare me one more time before I realized what it was when I rode Diamondback that day...;)