all new metal track for SOB?

BeastForever

You know...this may have some accuracy to it...I mean, look what I found out by Son of Beast the other day!

2010-06-05%2016.21.49.jpg

:lol: Just kidding. Those are sitting out in a field beside Voyage at Holiday World.

In all seriousness, that post was from early April. Who knows what's going on now.

Thats ok chaddie. I do not care what they call them these days. I still call them the names they were given back in the day. It's just a name.

And again my input into this subject is. The SOB is dead, let it R.I.P. . Scrap the junk and get new rides please.

Thats ok chaddie. I do not care what they call them these days. I still call them the names they were given back in the day. It's just a name.

And again my input into this subject is. The SOB is dead, let it R.I.P. . Scrap the junk and get new rides please.

Agreed. No mater what they do with it from this point, it will not be the same, the original SOB is dead at this point.

I think steel track is the only way to salvage this ride. I also think that with steel track, it'd become a quality ride again. Certainly not as good as DB or Firehawk, but probably right behind those 2. It'd definitely get me to come back to the park sooner.

What most people don't realize about jerky wooden coasters is that if the trains just had some decent padding it'd be quite more enjoyable. For example, The Beast's trains are basically thin leather on wooden seats. I forget if SOB's trains had decent padding since I hadn't ridden the ride since Early May, 2009.

• Like 1

What most people don't realize about jerky wooden coasters is that if the trains just had some decent padding it'd be quite more enjoyable. For example, The Beast's trains are basically thin leather on wooden seats. I forget if SOB's trains had decent padding since I hadn't ridden the ride since Early May, 2009.

It's the whole train that's the problem...

Have you realized I never post in these SOB threads?

Why not?

Because I have nothing to say. Exactly the same with everybody else IMO. Everybody has said the same things, and we're basically just repeating things. I'm hoping for SOB to stay open. But it may close. So, why do we need all these posts/topics about it?

(BTW, whatever happened to The Son of Beast Discussion Thread)?

What I find to be kind of "ironic" is the fact that in 2000, SoB and Millenium Force were the two biggest competitors in the coaster wars. While CP unleashed the first Giga, KI unleashed the worlds largest wooden coaster.

At that time, KI and CP were owned by two completely different companies who were in what seemed to be fierce competition for the Ohio market.

Now Cedar Fair, the masterminds behind Millie own KI, and this year both coasters have turned a decade old, and while Millie is getting a ton of recognition and praise, SoB is sitting alone...with the entrance que nearly completely removed, and all signs/recognition of the ride taken away.

What was at one point Paramount Parks' prized coaster, is now sitting gathering dust in the back shelf of CF.

Even though SoB has had it's problems, it still just seems kind of awkward.

Our very own IBEW_Sparky said this on Geauga Lake Today:

Reliable sources formerly from inside the park have told me that Villains trains are at KI in the boneyard. I would truly give nearly anything to get the front plate off the lead car of one of those!

They were made by Gerstlauer, so they were probably used for parts. If the Villain trains still have their wheels, then SoB's trains could be used for parts for another coaster.

^Agreed, in my opinion, we have seen the end of Son of Beast, the signs around the park show it.

I think I was in a state of denial and i still had hope, but after some good discussion with everyone on here, its over. The very fact the coaster is off the park map, the signage is gone, and the park reduced the coaster count by exactly one is enough to say yah its going to be SBNO until the park decides they need the space for something.

After 30 million's been spent on a coaster and it still has problems you gotta give up on it! And even I have to admit, for $30 mil we could of gotten 3 new rides!

Our very own IBEW_Sparky said this on Geauga Lake Today:

Reliable sources formerly from inside the park have told me that Villains trains are at KI in the boneyard. I would truly give nearly anything to get the front plate off the lead car of one of those!

They were made by Gerstlauer, so they were probably used for parts. If the Villain trains still have their wheels, then SoB's trains could be used for parts for another coaster.

I remember back a few years ago when people went crazy when Raging Wolf Bob's and Villain's trains showed up at KI. I believe they were brought down from GL when it closed to serve as spare parts for the G-Trains on SoB, but I could be wrong.

They could tear down SOB and put a steel coaster in it's place that has the same layout as SOB. They could even put the loop back in! Anybody think I'm going off a limb here or could this be possible...?

No thanks. B&M invert please :)

They could tear down SOB and put a steel coaster in it's place that has the same layout as SOB. They could even put the loop back in! Anybody think I'm going off a limb here or could this be possible...?

Probably not possible. The speed, the length, the loop... No one had a problem with those things. It was the layout that was always so criticized - primarily, the fact that the ride is essentially a big hill, two helices, a small hill, two helices, brakes. Not only is it uninspired, but its uncomfortable because of the speed at which the train travels. The helices are simply pounding - the trains are (people use this word and I dislike it, but it really is a good way to describe it) jackhammered on the first helix, slamming people around while they're plastered onto their side. I rode Son of Beast on every trip and always enjoyed it, but it would be a misnomer to call it anything but "uncomfortable" during that helix.

People have always said that the way to "fix" Son of Beast is to demolish everything between the second hill and the final helix, then create an out and back coaster full of airtime hills to burn off some speed. In essence, to have a coaster whose layout is 200 foot hill, hill, hill, hill, hill, turnaround, hill, hill, hill, helix. Sound familiar? It should - it was built about six hundred yards to the southeast.

Besides, if it actually does get to the point that Son of Beast is ready to be demolished (or they're willing to may tens of millions of dollars for a costly renovation that only might work), I think even its biggest fans will agree that it can be torn down. If they ever said "Hey we're thinking of spending $20 million to keep the ride but add Iron Horse tracking," most of us here would say, "Um, how about you take that money and get us a great B&M invert and a looping Intamin woodie with that money instead?"

EDIT: ^See! :) I can see the future!