"Python"... No more Pepsi?

My friend just got home from Coney Island, and he says the Pepsi part of Python's sign is gone... Can this be true? Is the name changed?

I find this disappointing. Pepsi Python was one of the few rides in the world with a Pepsi endorsement... Only 6, one of which is very famous. Python is much more generic of a name.

I've always imagined a backstory for Pepsi Python. You enter an expedition vehicle and journey to a rich treasure trove full of delicious Pepsi Cola. This Cola is very hard to get, as a giant venomous snake guards the treasure, and this snake is not willing to give up his yummy cola... smile.gif

I've always imagined a backstory for Pepsi Python. You enter an expedition vehicle and journey to a rich treasure trove full of delicious Pepsi Cola. This Cola is very hard to get, as a giant venomous snake guards the treasure, and this snake is not willing to give up his yummy cola... smile.gif

Except...pythons aren't venomous--they're constrictors...

However, I'm sure they'd still do a pretty good job at protecting Pepsi ;)

GOOD! I hate cooperate endorsements like that. Park sponsored by Pepsi, ok. Pepsi ad in the Queue, fine. Put it as part of the ride name?! Uh...no. And as far as the 'Backstory'....wow. I just imagined it as a roller coaster at a small amusement park that is named Python. The Pepsi part is because Pepsi paid money for it. I really can't even find any other theming to support a 'backstory'.

Why are you no longer a member of Coney?

I believe the Pepsi sign is still there. Although, I have not worked coaster or paid much attention to whether or not the sign was there this year or not. I do know that the Python track got a new paint job, new flags were added to the ride, the station was painted, and the back row now has a permanent cover over it. And for the record, within the rides department at Coney, we simply refer to the ride as "Coaster." The same way that we simply refer to the Ferris Wheel as "Wheel."

My parents decided we would not get a family pass, since we're going to California, later this summer. I've never been to the western United States, so this is a big thing. Oh, and we're going to Six Flags Magic Mountain and one or two other parks. smile.gif

I'm almost certain I'll be working at Coney next summer, so I'll most certainly have a pass.

My friend, (thejoker34 on KICentral.) Insists that the Pepsi logo is now gone. Today was not his first trip to Coney this season, and he reports today as the first day the sign is missing.

CoastersRZ replied similarly to me earlier when I noted the same thing here:

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=382031

At that point, he said the Pepsi sign WAS still there:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21687&view=findpost&p=382048

Now he says he 'believes' it still is. Friends have reported to me that it is not...

I know that several KIC posters (some who now lurk more than they post) have made visits to Coney Island this year. The reason I say "believe" is that it is not something that I notice upon regularly working at Coney. The employee parking lot I park in is not the one by the Python (but way out past Moonlite Gardens). And since all I have worked this year at Coney is the Ferris Wheel, Rock O Planes, and thirty minutes at Pedal Boats, I wouldn`t know for certain if the sign is there or not. I know it was there before the park opened and they were done painting the Python. As much as I hate to say it, I didn`t even ride the Python last year (though I did operate it a couple of times).

As has been pointed out before, we are all human and we all make mistakes from time to time. But the sign is something that kind of blends into the background and is something that at least I did not pay much attention to. In part because, as stated above, in rides we simply refer to the ride as "Coaster" and not as Python or Pepsi Python.

I will most certainly do that. I work a double this coming Saturday. Which means I will likely be at the Ferris Wheel and then Rock O Planes. I will make a point to look and see if the Pepsi sign is still there or not. I will report back late Saturday or early Sunday (which right now is slated to be my first day off in three weeks, with the key words being right now).

Well there you go! And yes, Dave rode the Rock O Planes when I was working them. I even gave him a spin!

I knew the physical sign was still there, which is why I assumed that it still said Pepsi. Clearly, they changed the sign out and put in the Coney Island logo. I like the fact that they placed the Coney logo in it. Combined with the new paint job and flags, the ride looks quite nice. Now if only it was a decent coaster...

I was waiting for that response from you. The first drop packs quite a punch. The only thing I don`t like about the coaster, is how hard the brakes grab at the end of the ride. (Not to mention it has a VERY conservative blocking system! If one does not move the train out of the unload station by the time the other train gets to the sensor immediately above the station, the train above the station will set up. And the only way to fix that is to manually release the air brake, which usually requires a manager.)

Exactly. For those who have not ridden the Python, it is definitely a fun little ride. Although, in my opinion, not quite as fun as the Tornado at Stricker`s Grove.

One perk of working the ride in the morning is that after maintenance clears the ride, if they are still present when the ride ops arrive, they often will give us a test ride before we open the ride to the public!

Pepsi Python was one of the few rides in the world with a Pepsi endorsement... Only 6, one of which is very famous.

Actually, if you look a little closer at the list you linked to, there are not 6, but 4 (or more accurately, 3 now). Pepsi-Cola Loop at Ocean Beach Amusement Park and Pepsi-Cola Loop at Ffrith Beach Fun Parc are the same coaster but relocated, and Pepsi Ripsaw and Pepsi Orange Streak at Mall of America are the same coaster but renamed. So a Pepsi sponsership is even rarer than you thought! smile.gif

Off topic, but in looking at the other Pepsi coasters, this image struck me: http://www.rcdb.com/909.htm?p=4275. I've never seen a modern coaster with a loop that is that much of a perfect circle. A large majority of loops are more elliptical than that one!

I love the Python, mainly because it whips up and down the hills. It's very compact, so that makes it very entertaining, and packs quite a punch for such a small little thing. smile.gif

I didn't like the old logo anyways; it was getting rusty and dirty. I like the new one better! (the one that replaced the Pepsi logo, that is).

• 3 weeks later...

Well there you go! And yes, Dave rode the Rock O Planes when I was working them. I even gave him a spin!

I knew the physical sign was still there, which is why I assumed that it still said Pepsi. Clearly, they changed the sign out and put in the Coney Island logo. I like the fact that they placed the Coney logo in it. Combined with the new paint job and flags, the ride looks quite nice. Now if only it was a decent coaster...

Python's still ok...you just have to know where/how to ride. You have to remember, its still just a Galaxi-esque carnival coaster, and theres a certain art to riding them comfortably. /defending Python.

Anyways, I have to agree with RZ on this one a bit. Working Python almost every day (its pretty much my ride now), I barely had the chance to notice the sign. Sure, I love the rehab thats been done to it (new paint, restained wood, BACK SEAT FINALLY COVERED!) But I never really noticed the sign until I was walking around one time when I was off work...Still, gives me a new slogan for it.

Python, too good for corporate sponsarship.