CF or Paramount

BeastForever

I always wondered If Paramount would doing better than CF right now.

With CF we got Diamondback. But there's lots of anger with what their doing the once-great 'Crypt.'

But there's still a long time before we can judge CF

The point is Paramount gave us great theming and okay rides; CF is going to give us great rides but horrible theming.

If only we could get the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Guest Millennium

Paramount made going to Kings Island feel more special, instead of a place everyone in Cincinnati hangs out every weekend...

But Cedar Fair gave us Diamondback. We would never have gotten that with Paramount. And I think CF has kept the park well run.

Cedar Fair has not had ownership of Kings Island for a long enough time, for us to really evaluate the company's "success."

And then, the success of a company can hardly be measured by the quality of new attractions...

In my opinion, no one had done a better job running Kings Island than KECO.

Paramount did bring KI to become very popular. As for now; I think Cedar Fair is the best for KI, because in the future I bet they will give us great thrills.

The only problem with Cedar Fair is they're very cheap on theme, and Paramount would probably have better themed rides.

I like what Cedar Fair has done, though I wonder what would have happened if CF had the park say 10 years ago. Would we have ever seen Son of Beast/ The Italian Job or Tomb Raider or would have things gone in a totally different direction?

In my opinion, Cedar Fair has made King's Island a better place. They've given us Diamondback, fixed up the Rivertown area, redone the kids area, ect. They also keep the staff efficient, which (in my experience) makes the lines move a lot quicker.

Diamondback was brought up when Paramount was in charge but would we of got it? I Don't know.

In my opinion, Cedar Fair has made King's Island a better place. They've given us Diamondback, fixed up the Rivertown area, redone the kids area, ect. They also keep the staff efficient, which (in my experience) makes the lines move a lot quicker.

Diamondback was brought up when Paramount was in charge but would we of got it? I Don't know.

I've heard that it was offered when Paramount was in charge but didn't want it, but when Cedar Fair took over the park they welcomed a star attraction with open arms. That's just what I've heard, so don't take that as fact unless someone can confirm it.

I'll also add that the park is a lot cleaner with Cedar Fair. I remember the path being covered with Coke cups and paper towels, but I haven't seen a single piece of trash on the path since Cedar Fair took over.

I've heard that it was offered when Paramount was in charge but didn't want it, but when Cedar Fair took over the park they welcomed a star attraction with open arms. That's just what I've heard, so don't take that as fact unless someone can confirm it.

I'll also add that the park is a lot cleaner with Cedar Fair. I remember the path being covered with Coke cups and paper towels, but I haven't seen a single piece of trash on the path since Cedar Fair took over.

Diamondback is entirely a Cedar Fair install... from start to finish.

In the Paramount days, B&M proposed a coaster for the same plot of land that Diamondback is on... by the railroad trestle. However so did Intamin. Nothing ever came of it.

I agree with the Interpreter that the worst days of the park were the Linder days (specifically around 1989- 1992). Same is true of Kings Dominion. The main argument is that the parks were horribly dirty, and in KD's case, unsafe. Trash was always overflowing out of garbage cans, it smelled, rides were dirty, gum trees all over, and graffiti on the rides. KI was kept far better shape than KD, but overall the parks had a gritty feel to them. In addition, this is when it seemed ride after ride after ride began dissapearing from the parks.

You'll have to realize that in those days, there was no internet. Fans literally waited until the parks opened to see how they had changed or what was new. Actually, back in the day the best way to get a sneak peek at what your favorite park was doing was to try and get your hands on a brand new park brochure. This was an annual trek my Father and I made in early spring... to places that had tourist brochures so I could pick up various park brochures and find out what was new! Sometimes those brochures would give you a preview of changes or additions to the park. However, most of the time you had to just wait until the parks were open again. I vivdly remember arriving at the park during those Linder years and being shocked when there was no Tumblebug, or Winnie Witches Cauldrons, or Der Spinner Keggers, or Ferris Wheel, or King Kobra (KD), or Flying Carpet, or Zodiac, or Wheel of Fortune, or... well, you get the idea.

Paramount cleaned up a lot of the grittiness and uncleanliness of the parks, and they added some good (albeit short) rides. But they over-commercialized the parks and ignored themed areas. It's my opinion that they sacrificed some of the most ambiant rides/areas for the sake of way-too-technical or silly rides. (Examples: KI- killed Flying Eagles and 'tiques for IJST, KD - Killed the Old Dominion Train for... ick... Waynes World.)

Cedar Fair IMO, is making good strides, but then I don't visit the park like I once did. As an outsider, they definitely seem to be keeping it clean and of course they installed the best ride in the park (Diamondback.) However, my personal opinion is that Snoopy Universe... or whatever the name is... is a HUGE mis-step. It doesn't suit KI, and has likely cost them the "Best Kids Area" title. (But that title was pretty much just a good favor vote by enthusiasts anyways...) The Nick characters (even though they were lost on me) were a huge draw with kids. Snoopy is, IMO, old school and lost on kids today over the age of 2.

Shaggy

Diamondback is entirely a Cedar Fair install... from start to finish.

In the Paramount days, B&M proposed a coaster for the same plot of land that Diamondback is on... by the railroad trestle. However so did Intamin. Nothing ever came of it.

I agree with the Interpreter that the worst days of the park were the Linder days (specifically around 1989- 1992). Same is true of Kings Dominion. The main argument is that the parks were horribly dirty, and in KD's case, unsafe. Trash was always overflowing out of garbage cans, it smelled, rides were dirty, gum trees all over, and graffiti on the rides. KI was kept far better shape than KD, but overall the parks had a gritty feel to them. In addition, this is when it seemed ride after ride after ride began dissapearing from the parks.

In those days, there was no internet. We literally waited until the park opened to see how it had changed, etc. Actually, back in the day the best way to get a sneak peek at what your favorite park was doing was to try and get your hands on a brand new park brochure as soon as they were put out at the Tourist Info Centers (This was an annual trek my Father and I made in early spring... to places that had tourist brochures!) Sometimes those brochures would give you a sneek peek of changes or additions to the park. However, most of the time you had to just wait until the park were open again. I vivdly remember arriving at the park during those Linder years and being shocked when there was no Tumblebug, or Winnie Witches Cauldrons, or Der Spinner Keggers, or Ferris Wheel, or King Kobra (KD), or Flying Carpet, or Zodiac, or Wheel of Fortune, or... well, you get the idea.

Paramount cleaned a lot of that up, and added some good (albeit short) rides. But they over-commercialized the parks. It's my opinion that they sacrificed some of the most ambiant rides/areas for the sake of way-too-technical or silly rides. (Examples: KI- Flying Eagles and 'tiques for IJST, KD - Train for... ick... Waynes World.)

Cedar Fair IMO, is making good strides, but then I don't visit the park like I once did. As an outsider, they definitely seem to be keeping it clean and of course they installed the best ride in the park (Diamondback.) However, my personal opinion is that Snoopy Universe... or whatever the name is... is a HUGE mis-step. It doesn't suit KI, and has likely cost them the "Best Kids Area" title. (But that title was pretty much just a good favor vote by enthusiasts anyways...) The Nick characters (even though they were lost on me) were a huge draw with kids. Snoopy is, IMO, old school and lost on kids today over the age of 2.

Shaggy

I agree. Nickelodeon is a modernized tv channel still on air which im sure draws more little kids to the park than a 60 year-old comic strip that was in the newspaper every week. I bet that KI won't get the Golden Ticket for best KId's Area this year.

• Like 1

...and I bet that even if they don't, the net effect on park visitation will be....zero. No one cares about Golden Tickets, except enthusiasts and Gary Slade...

... you're forgetting those that care the most... the parks. They are huge ego boosts for them.

Quite honestly, Holiday World practically exists for them. But then they love bragging rights in general. I have to say that I was pretty amused when they re-built the fountain to house... an Applause Award. Where else do you see giant Golden Ticket Awards nailed to the sides of coasters? LOL

... not to say they didn't earn them.

Shaggy

Shaggy

Oy, here we go again... laugh.gif

Have you visited the park this year, Shaggy? Quite a few of the Peanuts naysayers I know from this past off-season have admitted that Planet Snoopy looks great. It looks better than even I thought it would, and I was a Peanuts defender!

I agree with most of what you posted except for this. I don't think Planet Snoopy will cause them to lose the Golden Ticket, although only time will tell. The area looks great, and kids will (and have) accept(ed) the new characters. I've said it before, but kids will have a great time no matter what (if any) characters are at a park. As long as there's plenty to keep them occupied they'll have fun. But the kids don't vote for the Golden Ticket awards, the adults do, and the adults can be harder to win over than the kids.

I can kind of concede that Nick might have more drawing power than Peanuts, but CP did a wonderful job with the transition. I don't know what they could have added in Nick's place that would have equal or greater drawing power (besides Disney, but that ain't gonna happen), so no matter what, CP had a difficult choice with the Nick contract expiring. I imagine their already established relationship with the Peanuts brand made the decision (and price) a little easier for them.

You and I have known each other for years, so we can just agree to disagree on this item. wink.gif That's rare for us, because I almost always agree with your posts!

I agree. Nickelodeon is a modernized tv channel still on air which im sure draws more little kids to the park than a 60 year-old comic strip that was in the newspaper every week. I bet that KI won't get the Golden Ticket for best KId's Area this year.

i don't understand why you all say this, it's the same exact place it was, all they did was replace spongebob and pals with snoopy and friends. it's not like Kings Island went in and removed every ride and replaced it with small rides like what Cedar Point's Planet Snoopy is filled with, all they did was gave rides/buildings much needed paint jobs along with new signs and added some new statues.

if anything, Planet Snoopy deserves the golden ticket award much more than last seasons nick u. did.

Went to the park yesterday and I must say it looks better than it has in years. Little by little you are seeing less blacktop. I hope this trend continues. The landscaping looks fantastic.

The 2 spots the park needs attention are Coney and Action Zone. Action Zone looks ok but they need to figure out what they are going to do with FD and SOB. A Game Day Grille would go nicely in that section if you ask me.

Man I wish the cars and Eagles were back in their places. I am one that thinks Backlot is a fun ride but man is that a bad place to put such an ugly ride. Should have been put on the empty land between SOB, Delirium in Action Zone.

Action Zone really needs some TLC. That's one thing that I think Paramount would have down instead of Cedar Fair, which is add things to the places that are not given as much attention. While some of the best rides in the park are at Action Zone, it still needs......something.

Which is why I pick Paramount for that, and for better theme!

If it wasn't for the fact that there's a huge defunct woodie sitting at the side, then Action Zone would look great! After that, all Action Zone would need is a quick power-washing and some paint.

Coney Mall is what needs the attention. Bring back some of the classic flats now gone! PAINT The Racer!

This is a good topic.;)

PARAMOUNT

THE GOOD STUFF

+Added Flight of Fear (though it needed an overhaul to reach it's full potential)

+Added Drop Zone (Now Drop Tower) and Face/Off (Now Invertigo)

+Added Top Gun (Now Flight Deck)

+Added Tomb Raider: The Ride (Now...Ugh...Crypt!)

+Added Delirium

+Did a great job on themed rides

+Played excellent music while in line for rides, etc.

+Did several overhauls to kids area (however...see below...)

THE BAD STUFF

-Did not do, especially in later years, a very good job running the parks or keeping them clean.

-Added Son of Beast, one of the biggest head-aches KI has ever had. Some love it, but none can deny the ride has become a problem with injuries and lawsuits.

-Removed the Antique Cars and Flying Eagles for a fun, but inapropriate, ride: Italian Job Stunt Track (now BLSC)

-Removed the Wild Animal Habitat

-Removed King Cobra

-Removed Hanna-Barbera Land, replacing it with Nick, thus destroying a KI founding tradition

-Plotted to remove Flight of Fear (thank goodness it failed!)

Cedar Fair

THE GOOD STUFF

+Added Firehawk

+Added Diamondback

+Cleaned Up The Park

+Made Staff Well Trained & Friendly

+Made another kids area overhaul that seems to be going well

+Added new landscaping to help certain areas of the park

THE BAD STUFF

-The "ride downgrades" of Crypt, BLSC, and Racer

-The "feel" of Rivertown has been destroyed by a giant red roller coaster towering over it

-Did not use a golden opportunity to undo the Hanna-Barbera land removal, placing Snoopy instead, and kicking the last HB Character, Scooby Doo, out of the park

-Closed Son of Beast...though this wasn't a problem they started.

I choose Cedar Fair, because I'll take a well-run, clean, fun amusement park over a run-down, dirty, and poorly run theme park any day of the week. Though I know from experience, it wasn't always bad during the Paramount years...

I can kind of concede that Nick might have more drawing power than Peanuts, but CP did a wonderful job with the transition.

I don't think CP had a smooth transition from the Bears to Peanuts... I thought it was kind of rough, the old Bear Country area never was the same. Unless you meant Cedar Fair in general :P