Disney Closing Most ESPN Zones

Well, my guess is that the net income being made on the restaurants didn't justify continued investment/overhead as far as Disney was concerned.

By-and-large, Disney venues in the US outside of their "home" areas (AKA Orlando and Southern California) haven't been too successful. DisneyQuest locations outside of Orlando were closed, and planned expansion was cancelled. "Disney Regional Entertainment" was originally the corporate structure for DisneyQuest, ESPN Zone, and Club Disney (a FEC concept for kids that never really got off the ground.) With ESPN Zone biting the dust, Disney's regional operations are pretty much gone at this point.

^ Yeah, I wondered about the one at the Boardwalk as well. I had read quite a while ago that there were plans to close that location, and open a much larger one in Downtown Disney (possibly in the current DisneyQuest location). Because of that I was kind of surprised the last time I was there that DQ was still open. I'd guess that any plans they may have had to open a bigger ESPN Zone @ WDW are probably on the shelf now.