International Street lights, etc...

Derek

Hey.

Long time no post. This year I noticed there are less gas lights on International Street, why did PKI remove those lights, and when did they remove those lights?

Octoberfest used to have unique flags, they have been in Octoberfest for a long time, now it's long gone. Why did PKI remove those unique flags, and when?

PKI definitely removed a lot of things over the years.

Derek

Welcome back to posting, Derek!

As far as I know, IS street has had the same amount of gas lights on it for as long as i can remember. I do know they got rid of the lights on the buildings on IS a couple years ago because of lack of replacement bulbs. Also, I don`t recall the flags you mentioned in Octoberfest, I know there used to be, not sure if there were any this season or not, flags on the OctoberFest sign off of Interntional Street.

It was rumored that they were going to reintroduce some sort of lighting on the buildings on IS similar to what used to be there. However, I haven`t heard anything about this lately, but I think IS looked much better with lights on the buildings.

Actually you are correct...there are a lot fewer gas lamps on International street now a days. They were removed because they created quite a unique problem.....it made it very difficult for cars and trucks to navigate the street during the night and off-season. The park did move a few into the flower beds along the street, but most of them have been "removed" <---- I say that because by removed I mean that a lot of them have been taken out by trucks over the last few years. I myself have seen at least 2 in the the past 2 years be hit by matinence trucks. In fact one was hit (by someone I know) earlier in the season this year right before the park was going to open for the day, they closed down that side of the street until they had the pole removed, the gas line patched up, and paving stones put over the open hole.

I saw one get backed over by a security guard two years ago during our supervisor seminar. Broke out the back window and took down the pole. Those things are not very cheap at all. Its not really that hard to drive around them. I've done it many a nights while working a midnight warehouse shift. I've even driven the huge water trucks around them a few times. They keep getting hit because people aren't paying attention. I'm sure they aren't making their way back because the park is getting tired of paying to replace them or they can't get any more.

I also saw the old HB sign (the entrance sign that disappeared this year) get hit by the Budweiser truck. Took off Yogi's arm. I've seen people hit buildings cause the old brakes go out. I've seen people flip the old carts that we used to have making a sharp turn behind The Beast. Best thing though was seeing a delivery truck from an outside company forget to put the parking brake on and the truck roll away while they were unloading it. It just goes to show.. people aren't careful and it costs the park money.

Edited by beastfreak

Wow, it seems like the park needs to remind all vehicles inside the park to pay attention. I didn`t know running into things was such a big problem. One would think that they should do all the running into stuff on the Dodgems using the Dodgems cars to run into stuff where you can`t damage major stuff and cost the park money.

I would bet that with time, PKI will replace the gas lights, hopefully with electric lights. The gaslights are no longer a feasible option, since they have to burn constantly, otherwise the park would have to higher a gaslighter (someone to light the gas lights, as in the Gaslight Era of history.) I think new streetlights that are electric would look nice up and down Internation Street, if they were positioned right, so as to not interfere with truck traffic. I think gaslights would probably not return.

Well, you might not care. But think of it this way, these things add some atmopshere to the park. While they may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things, think if little things like this were taken out of the park and not replaced, such as the lights on the buildings, the roaming musicians, etc. The park loses some sense of character and atmosphere. Another thing the park lost for this season was the ride signs in Coney Mall used to have lights around them, however the lights were removed from every one except for The Vortex.

who cares about gas lights??

They are retro and nostalgic. If you know anything about history, you would know that gaslights were used for everything from 1865 to 1875 during the gaslight era, where lamplighters walked the town streets at night, making sure all gaslights were lit and functional. Gaslights for a period were all the rage, and a period of unhurried gracious living. Want to know more about this era, visit http://www.gaslite.com/history.html

They are retro and nostalgic. If you know anything about history, you would know that gaslights were used for everything from 1865 to 1875 during the gaslight era, where lamplighters walked the town streets at night, making sure all gaslights were lit and functional. Gaslights for a period were all the rage, and a period of unhurried gracious living. Want to know more about this era, visit http://www.gaslite.com/history.html

lol.. you have WAY too much time on your hands biggrin.gif

mad.gif I really don't feel like we have too much time on our hands. The gas lights are great, they give the park character. That's one of the many reasons I go to PKI, the parks character and the fact they have never lost the general theming in the given areas. If I wanted to go to a Six Flags park, where there was no sense of theme, and really no way to lose my self in the day, that's what I'd do. But I don't, I love PKI and I really think it's a shame that my kids will never get to see the park in the state that made me fall in love with it. It's alot cheaper to just throw things away than it is to repair them. I just hope they don't throw too much away and eventually turn the park into a giant blob of rides like Six Flags parks have done.

lol.. you have WAY too much time on your hands biggrin.gif

Why, because I know something about history? Thats not called too much time on your hands, its called BRAINS. If you study in school you get some, and even learn something along the way.

I even know that Cincinnati still has a gas light district... in Clifton. Don't know if someone comes around to light them still or if they were like Kings Islands and burn all the time.

The gas lights in Clifton burn all the time, unless we get strong winds and one of them gets blown out, in which case Cinergy comes back out to re-light it.

Why does the idea of gas lights in Clifton, of all places, sound like a bad idea? For those not familar, Clifton isn't actually the best neighborhood in Cincy.

Actually, most of Clifton is pretty safe for whatever people enjoy. lets remember that Clifton, most of which is UC's campus, is home to somewhere around 33,000 people annually. If it wasn't safe, I kinda doubt UC would dump as much money into it as they could. In comparison to the Clifton of the past, today's is much safer than it used to be.