President of Holiday World has passed

I found out this morning from lookin @ my facebook, acordin to Holiday World & Splashin Safari facebook page; the president & owner of Holiday World, Will Koch, has passed away due to his type I diabeties they think.

Sadly, this is true:

- The owner of southern Indiana theme park Holiday World and Spashin' Safari Will Koch died overnight. According to a press release issued by the theme park overnight, Koch died at home of what the family believes to be complications from diabetes.

He was 48.

Park spokesperson Paula Werne says, "Will was not only our leader, he was our dear friend. Our park family is in mourning for this sweet man who worked tirelessly to bring fun and happiness to so many families in the 20 years he ran the park."

Werne also says that Holiday World & Splashin' Safari will be open today, and that the park will continue to be owned and operated by the Koch family....

http://www.14wfie.co....asp?S=12643268

This is so terribly heartbreaking to hear.

Will always impressed me as a very gifted man with a sense of faith, family, and fun. I greatly admire him for that.

My prayers are with his mother, as the loss of a child is devistating.

My prayers are with his wife, who no doubt has lost a soulmate.

My prayers are with his children, for the loss of their father.

My prayers are with the Holiday World Family, as they struggle through this time.

God bless them all, and God bless Will.

...Wow. My heart is broken. I sincerely do not know how to put it in any other words but that.

I am stunned. When I was there memorial day weekend he was in the station at pilgrims plunge actually helping out and greeting us as we came back. I would have never known he was ill. Very sad.

I had that same exact experience. I saw Will at the park several times on Memorial Day, and no matter what, he was always, always, always smiling and striking up the friendliest conversations with anyone. He was the essence of the park's friendliness.

I had honestly intended to try to meet him on my next visit... It would have been incredible, as a Mechanical Engineering major, to have been able to speak casually with the Voyage designer who had helped perfect such an incredible ride from the park's viewpoint.

We never met each other, but even at that I feel like I've lost a friend. My sincerely deepest sympathies go out to the Holiday World family, especially the Kochs.

Dave - that picture and quote is both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. I am stunned this morning at the news - met and talked to Will a couple of times at HWN, seemed so genuine, happy, and caring.

Thoughts and prayers to his family, mom, and the entire Holiday World organization.

I offer the same sentiments as others have mentioned.

I too was shocked when I heard the news this morning. This truly shows how precious life is and how quickly and unexpectedly it can be taken away. It especially hits home if you know someone who has Diabetes. My dad actually has diabetes.

God bless Will, his family, and the park. The weeks ahead will undoubetdly be very trying times for all of them.

Wow this news truly shocked me, though I never got to meet Will or been to Holiday World yet, from the stories I have heard he was truly a remarkable person with one goal in life, to make others happy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Koch family and all of Holiday World management.

This is shocking, saddening, and heartbreaking. I first heard on Dave's Facebook status, and I immediately checked KIC.

For those who never met him, he was the essence of a good man.

My prayers are with his family and everyone at Holiday World.

I was shocked when I found out from rotag on Facebook. I never got to meet him, but spoke with Pat on 3 of my 4 visits to the park. I love Holiday World, it's a legacy which he could be proud of. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Koch family, as well as the entire Holiday World family. He was so young, it just shows you never know what can happen. Appreciate your loved ones while you can, and savor every moment you have together.

Very sad day for the entire industry. Will seemed like such a nobel person and really personified the amusement industry for what it is. He was a modern day Walt Disney in a sense. Walt and Will both were in the industry out of a pure love for seeing people happy. Seeing photos of Will, and seeing him one time on a visit to the park, you could tell just how happy he was. Such a genuinely loving, fun, honest person. I feel for the Kochs and their extended Holiday World family today.

As a testament to just how far-reaching Koch and Holiday World have had, even outside of the midwest, look no further than Google: http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends?sa=X&oi=prbx_hot_trends&ct=more-results

"Will Koch" is currently the #3 biggest search term on Google right now and "Holiday World" is #17. Known and loved by many, indeed.