Kings Island's potential

beastforever398

Is this just me or does anyone else think that KI will definitely have 18 or 19 coasters at some period in time? Or will Cedar Fair never let any of it's parks have more coasters than their beloved and flagship park, Cedar Point? Will KI ever be as good as Cedar Point? Kings Island has more than enough land to do so. But the only problem is money...

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Guest rcfreak339

^As said before, Cedar Point has a plan. A "master plan" you could call it. They are no way landlocked thats for sure.

Is this just me or does anyone else think that KI will definitely have 18 or 19 coasters at some period in time? Or will Cedar Fair never let any of it's parks have more coasters than their beloved and flagship park, Cedar Point? Will KI ever be as good as Cedar Point? Kings Island has more than enough land to do so. But the only problem is money...

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Untill you have seen Cedar Point ur self you will see why CP and KI are different in ways.

KI will never be the "flagship" park in the CF group. I do not think that it will ever have the same stature as CP has as long as it is owned by CF.

But if worst comes to worst and Cedar Fair begins selling off parks in the near future, Kings Island and Cedar Point will remain theirs for as long as possible. Considering the fact that the park still has a lot of unused land in their grasps means that there's room for several big-ticket thrill rides that can be installed to try to compete with the juggernaut that is Cedar Point. Six Flags tried doing it with Geauga Lake but realized you don't add so many rides/coasters into one park within an extremely short amount of time and not allow guests to adjust to new surroundings before they feel overwhelmed, let alone do it in a park that is both normally geared to family crowds and not already a competitor with a major amusement park.

Which is where Kings Island comes in. The park already has several big-name rides under its belt and is a well-known park worldwide. Not to mention it sits close enough to the Point to really deal some damage, so to speak, instead of being on the other side of the country (see Magic Mountain). KI was the golden egg out of the former Paramount Parks and people about fell head over heels when they heard they were up for sale in 2006. Too bad Cedar Fair swooped in and snagged them up before anyone had a chance to catch their breath. Now with the monopoly in Ohio with three two major parks, they don't have to worry about anyone stepping in to pick a fight on their doorstep, especially after Six Flags nosedived into near bankruptcy and sold off several parks (which, not surprisingly, Cedar Fair picked up GL soon after Six Flags put IT up for sale and has reduced it to a mere water park).

Worst case scenario (and this is in the realm of major conspiracy theory here, people) is that the same thing might happen to Kings Island by closing it down or drastically reducing it to near nothing if it means Cedar Point gets to remain alive for another decade or two. Sorry to say it, but the Point is the flagship park of the entire company, and I'd be willing to say that everyone else is going to suffer if it means Cedar Point is the last one standing. But that's only IF current management stays where it's at (that and if pigs actually can fly).

Maybe that's what Jack Falfas saw in the company and decided he didn't want any part of it. Or worse (or better), after leaving Cedar Fair, he decides to take control of the very company the Fair has had major quarrels with for the past two decades - Six Flags. With two former allies now enemies taking the reigns of the two largest park chains in the country, it may be a new era of the Coaster Wars. Perhaps Six Flags might decide to go back to the Kentucky Fair Board and get Kentucky Kingdom back and slowly build it up to become a formidable opponent to Kings Island like the old Six Flags tried to do in the 90s.

And to think that just a few months back, the very possibility of said two companies merging to become a super-ultra-mega-ginormous monstrosity of an amusement park chain with 35 parks (which would probably by drastically reduced to a mere 17 or 19 by major cutbacks) would have been a disastrous reality had Cedar Fair and Apollo got their way. I guess we should be glad that hypothetical Q never received an A.

....by the way, everything I just typed in this long-winded post is pure, speculative fiction. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT take anything I have just said as fact. This is mere hypothetical postulation from a single member who looks at the world from a very...odd position.

I'd say the chances of a change of management and/or ownership in the next 10 months are more probable than not. I cannot imagine current management running Cedar Fair and/or FUN owning Kings Island in even five years. Stranger things have happened, but it seems decidedly unlikely. Is that a good thing? Who knows....it all depends on who runs the operation next...

KI was the flagship park under Paramount, and rightly so. The only reason it's not now is because it's in the same group as Cedar Point. If the two were to be separated, then KI could easily go back to being in a battle with Cedar Point.

However, I doubt this will happen, as whether management changes or pars are sold off or there's a buyout or anything, I think Cedar Fair would try to keep Kings Island and Cedar Point. Someone in FUN said that the Paramount Parks purchase was made mainly because they wanted the Island. Now that they're together, I don't see Cedar Point and Kings Island separated. Though, any new management may try to build up other smaller parks while they let already big parks sit, but they may not.

Jackson, who just wrote 7 sentences based solely on what ifs. Nice....

I would say the main park in the Cedar Fair group besides Cedar Point would be Canada's Wonderland, followed by Knott's Berry Farm and then Kings Island.dry.gif

I also would say that Cedar Fair is eventually going to ease Kings Dominion ahead of Kings Island in that list.

Guest rcfreak339

^How so? Kings Island has received many, many new shows and rides the past 5 years in which Cedar Fair has been around most of which Kings Dominion has not on Knotts have not.

I would say the main park in the Cedar Fair group besides Cedar Point would be Canada's Wonderland, followed by Knott's Berry Farm and then Kings Island.dry.gif

I also would say that Cedar Fair is eventually going to ease Kings Dominion ahead of Kings Island in that list.

You really think so? Have you ever even been to Kings Dominion? It's nothing special. Kings Island has the history behind it. Everyone knows Kings Island. And I'll tell you what, Kings Island has a lot more room for growth rather than Knott's, Canada's Wonderland, and Kings Dominion. So I would say...

No.

It's based on attendance growth.

Wonderland continues to see attendance growth, while KI and CP have seen drops in attendance. Wonderland is the gem out of the bunch, at this point. Kinzel has even said so on the quarterly calls. Another park sneaking up in the ranks is Carowinds.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at KD either. Nothing special? I bet those that have grown up with it, as you have KI, would disagree. For all intents and purposes, KD's overall ride selection is better than KI's at this point. (My opinion, of course.) But as far as KD's history, well it's only 2 years younger than KI (or 3... depending upon whether you count the "soft" opening in 1974.)

Shaggy

^How so? Kings Island has received many, many new shows and rides the past 5 years in which Cedar Fair has been around most of which Kings Dominion has not on Knotts have not.

Knott's my favorite CF park and this just is my opinion. Knott's has seen two coasters back to back. There Halloween Haunt blows ours away. There themed areas blow ours away. Their shows blow ours away. Plus they are actually a "Theme Park" While ours... not so much anymore. They have a awesome Intamin rocket coaster. And a smooth B&M invert. They have seen many aditions. Maybe it's just me being so close to KI that I have gotten tired of it. But in my opinion Kings Island is clean. And thats about it. I love the park and I hate to be so negative... I uselly am not by the way. But in my opinion the older CF parks just look better. Knott's because of the theme. And Cedar Point because of its location. I mean Kings Island is a great park, but has just lost some of it's touch. I feel bad for voicing my opinion.

It's based on attendance growth.

Wonderland continues to see attendance growth, while KI and CP have seen drops in attendance. Wonderland is the gem out of the bunch, at this point. Kinzel has even said so on the quarterly calls. Another park sneaking up in the ranks is Carowinds.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at KD either. Nothing special? I bet those that have grown up with it, as you have KI, would disagree. For all intents and purposes, KD's overall ride selection is better than KI's at this point. (My opinion, of course.) But as far as KD's history, well it's only 2 years younger than KI (or 3... depending upon whether you count the "soft" opening in 1974.)

Shaggy

You do have a point there. I consider myself a Kings Island fan boy. The only parks in my mind that beat out Kings Island is every Disney Park and Cedar Point. Thats about it. Nothing like the smell of wet Florida grass when you wake up in the morning :)

HTCO, really really really needs to go back to Disney World in Orlando Florida

But in my opinion the older CF parks just look better. Knott's because of the theme. And Cedar Point because of its location. I mean Kings Island is a great park, but has just lost some of it's touch. I feel bad for voicing my opinion.

You shouldn't feel badly about voicing your opinion! Kings Island *has* lost a lot of what makes it magic, and most of us view it with our nostalgia goggles firmly attached.

During the past decade, Kings Island has gone downhill. From where I stand, some of the blame rests on Paramount's shoulders (although I feel that the decline during the later Paramount years was due to lack of budget and interest allotted by the parent company), but more of the blame rests on Cedar Fair's. Before I get jumped for being on the "Cedar Fail" bandwagon, I feel that more of the blame rests on their shoulders because the decline of the park during their years (so far) seems to come more from a lack of interest in the park (other than squashing competition), combined with perhaps a not-so-subtle agenda to drive people to Cedar Point instead. Kings Island has been the jewel in the crown of every company that has owned it, until now. Other parks (that aren't in the same state as CF's prize possession) are going to get priority over KI every day of the week. We will get the bare minimum (look for less rides and more area/landscaping changes in the future - I firmly believe Diamondback is the exception, not the rule) that will keep people in the park. It's sad, really, since CP and KI are like apples and oranges, but CF will never, ever see it that way.

A perfect example of this is the carousel. Beyond the irritation of the organ, the state of the horses is just reprehensible. I saw a chip in the paint of one of the horses (chip is putting it mildly) this year that was bigger than my hand, and the vast majority of the inside horses looked like they hadn't been restored since KI was still PKI. I understand that it's not the most crowded ride in the park, but I would be willing to bet it's the most revered, and it certainly has the most interesting history, and they can't even be bothered to show it the tiniest bit of love.

Then again, this could all just be my tinfoil hat speaking...

Disney Park? Well, your probably right. I went to Disneyland a year ago and it was great. The only thing I despised about was the wretched "Fast Pass" system they have their. It makes the line for people without fastpasses move EXTREMELY slow. I'd much rather have the Disney Parks not have even have the "Fast Passes" in a few years. I know this was a little off topic but I wanted to express my opinion...

King's Island will NEVER be as good as Cedar Point. King's Island is a local park visited by locals, and will remain popular with locals no matter what's installed. 60%-70% of visitors are frequent visitors or pass holders.

Then there's Cedar Point... Cedar Point is different than King's Island. It's a tourist destination. People visit Cedar Point from all over the world, which is why it has more rides. Cedar Point needs the draw to give them worldwide attention. It's also more than just a park... it's a resort. Challenge Park, Castaway Bay, Soak City along with all there is to do in Sandusky. If anyone on the board says that King's Island is better, they either haven't visited or are just sticking up for their local park (which is fine)

I realize that King's Island gets more visitors than Cedar Point, but that's to be expected. King's Island is near Cincinnati and Dayton. Cedar Point is in Sandusky, and the only larger city near is (maybe) Cleveland. Less season pass holders, more tourist. Just the opposite at King's Island. More pass holding locals, less tourist.

King's Island is treated like a local draw and will continue to be so. And with the addition of Diamondback, the locals who haven't visited for years are starting to return.

King's Island will NEVER be as good as Cedar Point. King's Island is a local park visited by locals, and will remain popular with locals no matter what's installed. 60%-70% of visitors are frequent visitors or pass holders.

I agree with your post except for the very first part . KI is just as good and the rest of your post is good. You have to understand the two parks are like comparing apples and oranges. Lets compare Disney to CP? It can not be done in good faith. I hope KI never goes the entire route as Cedar Point is.

Kings Island is being destroyed I say. It was good back in the 90's. That's when the park was a bit more like Disneyland... I'm not kidding. Plus their band organ... ughh... I am so tired of not hearing it! Also the horses are looking like they are not being painted properly!

Compare Kings Island 2010 to 2005. THAT was a better year. Plus Paramount put a little bit different coasters in the park. Cedar Fair does the same thing over and over again. The Diamondback is just like Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia.

Kings Island is being destroyed I say.

I could not disagree with you more.

Other than a brief time period of ownership in the late 1980's, Kings Island has always been a great park.

Quite frankly, I've seen first person the hard work and dedication it takes to operate KI. There's an immense amount of work required to keep KI functional, let alone a place that many first time visitors still become enchanted with.

To say it's being destroyed, IMO, is a narrow minded slap to those that are currently working hard to keep it one of the best regional theme parks in the world. My hat is off to them, and I thank all the folks that have dedicated their time to KI to making my visits memorable and enjoyable.

Shaggy

Compare Kings Island 2010 to 2005. THAT was a better year. Plus Paramount put a little bit different coasters in the park. Cedar Fair does the same thing over and over again. The Diamondback is just like Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia.

You do realize that what was Italian Job Stunt Track is a clone, there's an exact same ride at Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland? And Paramount also put in Face/Off, which is a standard model of which there have been many others. Oh, and Flight of Fear is a standard Mad Cobra from Premier, one of many.

So what are you trying to prove that Diamondback is just like Goliath? Paramount did the exact same thing.