PKI A Theme ParK?

PKI Homey

I wasn't saying that those are themed areas so much as an area that is named. Look at it this way. PKI is a state. Each of the areas are towns. You name each town. When someone asks where something is you can say what town(area) it is in. Now its up to the people (the park) to decorate/theme that area however they want or at all.

Basically all parks name different areas of their park. That does not make them a theme park. Now if they have a name that is like "Old West Territory" and every building looks like its from an old western movie, that is a themed area. The whole park does not have to go by this theming mode. They can theme some areas but not others.

I'd say its then up to the park to determine if they are a theme park or not. I was just showing people that every park names areas and why. Not saying that every park then goes and themes that area to the name or any particular way. Just that they name areas, to split it up and make it easier for people to remember where stuff is.

Edited by beastfreak

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PKI is not as much of a theme park as the major playes (Disney, Universal Studios, & Sea World)

Yes. The best themeing I have even seen is at Universal's Islands of Adventures! It made the whole experince much more plesent. PKI needs to visit these places and take some serious notes on themeing. I felt as if I left Flordia and entered each one of there themed areas. Here are some sites I have found that show pictures of this park.

USIoA

and...

USIoA

I understand that PKI is more dedicated to building rides than themeing, but I think a little more themeing would be great for the park. Even just a little landscaping here and there would'nt hurt. If you build it, they will come.

Edited by Bradb055

IOA is the definition of a theme park. They have an area and all the attractions fit in that theme. All the attractions in Marvel Super Hero Isalnd have to do with Marvel characters.

The only area that is themed in PKI is Nick Central. The rest of the park is now a big mess. What does Tomb Raider have to do with Rivertown? It made a lot more sense when Rivertown was supposed to be a western mining type area. When you had rides like Kenton's, The Beast, King's Mill Flume, and Wheel of Fortune (the gambling wheel ride) it fit the theme. I thought they were going to keep AZ as a Paramount movie themed area but SOB pretty much stopped that. You might see PKI do some more themed rides but I think they are done with themeing an entire area.

My point was that all of these parks have themed areas, just because they are not named after a specific themeing like Rivertown. Is a midway not themed? Of course it is. And, I agree with Icarus Lives. What does Tomb Raider have to do with the themeing of Rivertown? That could have just as easily went into the Action Zone considering it is an action movie and has nothing to do with the Rivertown themeing. And about the parking lot nonsense. Nobody was referring to the parking lot, just the park itself.

While Tomb Raider doesn`t exactly fit into Rivertown, the cave entrance and landscaping make it seem to fit into that area. Originally, I heard that Tomb Raider was going to be built in Coney Mall, with the cave entrance under the large hill where the two sides of The Racer split, back by the Paramount Action Theaters.

when Keelboat was taken down that was the spot for tomb raider thats why you saw fences around the old spot in 2001. That was the reason for TR:TR to be built you couldn't fit it anywhere else not in back where Action theater is. They have roads to ceartain rides (The Beast). I know TR doesnt fit into the rivertown area but they had no where else to get the project started. OR thats where they planned to put it or something else. But i could be wrong

One thing that has been mentioned over and over is the names of other "theme" parks IOA, UNIVERSAL,DISNEY. What is the one thing that they have in common? They have crews of people that do nothing but upkeep attractions. PKI has the poor maintenance guys on call all day. DISNEY has crews that clean the park spotless each night after closing as does IOA and UNIVERSAL, and unless it has change at PKI, it has always been the last operators to clean. Inspectors search the park for burnt out light bulbs, bubble gum and destruction. Rides are carefully monitored by the operators for wear and logged into daily logs and all rides are refurbed on a scheduled basis. The amount of people needed for upkeep of the themeing equals the amount of people that actually operate and run the park during the day. If PKI were to keep up with the more well known parks, they would need to double their workforce. Right now they are slowly tipping the scales to encourage more visitors, and eventually you will see better upkeep of themeing.

I haven't been able to see this topic until today because of the play I was in, so now it's time for my 2 cents.

Being a ride operator at FoF last season, I saw what they did to keep theming up. In front of the ride, they would play announcements like, "The time travel committe will meet last tuesday at 0-800 hours." Halfway through the season they added new ones that sounded like a call in radio station with people calling in about mysterious lights around the military base. Also, inside the hanger they added some new sound effects to make it a bit creepier. Also, some days the fog machines in the hanger would be turned on, but it was not an everyday event. Who knows, maybe the park would be able to spend more money on theming if guests would stop punching holes in the walls inside the building.

Yes, TG does need a serious face-lift, so does AE, but if you don't like a ride, don't ride it. Thats why I don't ride Gillette: The Ad (AKA Top Gun) anymore.

And yes, PKI does keep theming up alot better than MM does. SFMM had graffiti everywhere on Superman. That was the only themed ride line I went through at the park, but it was really bad.

Yes, TG does need a serious face-lift, so does AE, but if you don't like a ride, don't ride it. Thats why I don't ride Gillette: The Ad (AKA Top Gun) anymore.

Cry me a river. Why not think about it this way. PKI probably gets money from the Gillette Ad each year. In turn they used that money on new rides, etc. So in itself, one ride is helping to fund another one. I am guessing from your statement, that you do not like new rides. dry.gif

Im sure if they could get a sponsor for every ride in the park they would.

its money in their pockets.More money more rides and improvements.Look at all the new Baseball and Football stadiums.All corperate sponsorships.Its all about money.Last year I was at 6 Flaggs woa and their log flume ride was named after some bottled water company.I thought that was really strange but I guess its just progress in action.Who knows.Next thing you know we will have Cottonelle sponsoring all the restrooms in a park.How about we get like Terminix to sponsor The Beast."NO TERMITES HERE" Just a thought.

Actually, if I`m not mistaken, the bottled water company sponsors all the log flumes at ALL the Six Flags Parks in America, if not the world. Hopefully, PKI doesn`t stoop to that level of corporate sponsorship. Can you imagine ridin Vortex, sponsored by Advil, LOL? Or how about Scrambler sponsorde by Eggland`s best eggs? Antique Cars are already sponsored by John Nolan Ford. Hopefully, The Beast won`t have to be advetised by a pesticide control company.

I see nothing wrong with companies sponsoring rides, as long as it is done in quality way the fits into the themeing of the ride. Quality being the key word, if sponsoring means doing what they did to the festhaus with Coke, and the antique cars with John Nolan, then I say no sponsorship please. I mean Disney has been able to pull off corporate sponsorship of their rides for years.

...Cottonelle sponsoring all the restrooms in a park.How about we get like Terminix to sponsor The Beast."NO TERMITES HERE" Just a thought.

Those are good ones.....LOL. Doesn't some company sponsor all those little guest help/message boths in the park? I thiink having John Nolan Ford sponsor the car thing is a major plus. They probably pay enough to maintain all those vehicles and fix whatever happens to them. They have John Nolan Ford Day at the park every year. I am sure its a perk to the company for sponsoring one of the park's rides. Last year I went with a friend of mine, whose dad is a mechanice at John Nolan. It was nice, lunch under one of the shelters, and free roam of the park after that.

I didn't say sponsorship was a bad thing, I know it's very good. I am fine with sponsorship, as long as they don't completely overdo it. On Top Gun there are several places where their logo is shown. Right at the front of the line, on that giant billboard with the jets on it, heck, even on every single car! Not to mention when the train stops an intercom says, "Gillette hopes you enjoyed the ride". Since when do military aircraft carriers say a company welcomes you back? They've taken away the theming and replaced it with ads. I'm fine with all of the ads in Antiques, but thats because the origional things are still there. The point of Tiques is to look at all of the trees, ponds, flowers, and other greenery there, and the greenery is still there. Adding ads is fine, just don't replace theming with ads.

I think that Gilette still makes the Mach III razor. Although, there's a new red one out there. I agree with an earlier post that said that corporate sponsorship is ok if it is not overdone (ex: Top Gun). I think that we will see more corporate sponsorships in the future at least in the way of food if not rides as well. Bottom line is it will help the bottom line in $$$.

"Gillette hopes you enjoyed the ride". Since when do military aircraft carriers say a company welcomes you back? They've taken away the theming and replaced it with ads.

Which Aircraft carrier are you referring to that welcomes you back at all? I don't think they announce it in the military. Yeah I can hear it now, "Welcome back pilots, how many bogies did you shoot down?" At least its something. I will take that over a silent station.

Since when does a park owned by Paramount, which in owned by Viacom need sponership? All the money they need to cover the new rides they put in they get from them. How many millions do they bring in from $42 tickets, $2.75 Cokes and $25 pizzas? To me, it sound like someone at the top is getting just a little greedy.

You could be right about that coasterfan. My question is...if a food stand that is leased by say Bubba Gump's Shrimp, who takes care of its daily operation, i.e. employee wages, stocking food? If it is BG's, then I could see where corporate sponsorship for a food stand could be a big plus to the park. PKI would not have to pay wages or stock the food for the stand. And you're getting a chunk of change for allowing them lease space in your park.

...if a food stand that is leased by say Bubba Gump's Shrimp, who takes care of its daily operation, i.e. employee wages, stocking food?

Thats the thing. The park doesn't do that with food stands. We run mostly all of them ourselves. The only ones we don't are smaller stands that don't make as much profit, so we make it better by hiring outside people to run it and give us a portion of their profit.